Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Track Suspension Thoughts and ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Suspension Thoughts and ?

I've recently purcahsed an old EK for me to turn into a track hor. This, however, is my first honda so I'm floundering a bit with the multitude of choices.

So far, I've read that you really can't go wrong with Koni yellows and GCs. Is this the general thinking here as well? I'm willing to try other things.

My wonderful car came with no stock swaybars, so as I'm thumbing through possible purchases I've realized that the latch points look at little.. flimsy for the front. Has anyone had problems with the aftermarket sways that clamp rather than bolt into the stock location? Is the intergra control-arm swap worth it for this?

The rear sway also worries me because I have to drill through some very flimsy material to mount the bushings. If the bar torques, will the bushing rip through the aluminum?

Any input here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (Necessity)

get some swaybars, and koni+GC with 400/500Lb (f/r) springs and you'll be happy.

I dont know who makes it, but someone was selling a reinforcement kit for the EK subframe - edit: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=785497
Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know who makes it, but someone was selling a reinforcement kit for the EK subframe - edit: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=785497</TD></TR></TABLE>

Beaks sells one: http://www.beaksproducts.com/S...t.htm
Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 AM

what kind of racing do you plan on doing?
road racing? drag racing? auto-x?

I road race and I have 895lb/in springs in all 4 corners and i think it works great.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:46 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (Eclypz)

have you tried other rates though? I get a bit tired of people saying "I have xx setup or spring rates and it works great!" but have not tried to make changes to make it better, or see the effect, etc.

you probably wont want the same spring rate front and rear, and 900# springs on the street is just asking for a sore *** - probably overkill on track, and 'off the shelf' konis wont handle much over 550-600# springs.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eclypz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I road race and I have 895lb/in springs in all 4 corners and i think it works great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

doubtful
Old 01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.RJ)

The mounts where the rear sway bar and supension mount are all steel. In fact the body is all steel though the areas where the rear sway bar mount are a little thin. So I would probably look for a rear sway bar setup that offers some extra reinforcement such as the Comptech unit or go with a Beaks setup.

John
Old 01-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1fastVX)

Outstanding. I don't race on the track, just do driving events. The competitive driving I do is autocross. The setup I'm hoping for will need to be compatible for both. I don't mind a rough ride, but can the koni's handle 895ft/lb? And won't having that in the rear create more rotation than I may be able to counter?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:14 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (Necessity)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Necessity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but can the koni's handle 895ft/lb? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No and you dont need that much spring.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd suggest around 400f/500r. will be streetable and stiff enough to handle well on autox courses and road courses.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

doubtful </TD></TR></TABLE>

and you doubt i run those rates because....
Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: (Necessity)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Necessity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Outstanding. I don't race on the track, just do driving events. The competitive driving I do is autocross. The setup I'm hoping for will need to be compatible for both. I don't mind a rough ride, but can the koni's handle 895ft/lb? And won't having that in the rear create more rotation than I may be able to counter?</TD></TR></TABLE>
In all honesty, i've gotten used to the high spring rates...
mind you, the roads here are pretty smooth.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eclypz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and you doubt i run those rates because....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because many times "JDM" coilover brands ship springs that are much softer than advertised
Old 01-05-2005, 12:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried other rates though? I get a bit tired of people saying "I have xx setup or spring rates and it works great!" but have not tried to make changes to make it better, or see the effect, etc.

you probably wont want the same spring rate front and rear, and 900# springs on the street is just asking for a sore *** - probably overkill on track, and 'off the shelf' konis wont handle much over 550-600# springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand your point, but yes, i have tried numerous setups in the past...

I started with Neuspeed race springs w/ KYB AGx.
Then I moved on to Tein SS coilovers,
and now I'm running H&R Road Race coilovers (for ITR).

The H&Rs come with 16K/14K springs, but i recently changed the rear spring to 16k, so I'm running 16K in all 4 corners.

I think it really depends how much he wants to balance a good suspension setup for track vs. for street.

I leaned towards track.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

because these rates are extremely high. i dont doubt theyre possible. i doubt theyre really beneficial. if theyre working for you. great.

ive used 900 lbs springs in the rear. its not like the car ceases to drive on the street, but to say it works great (for the street), youve got to have some really low expectation on greatness.

what car btw, and whats it used for?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because many times "JDM" coilover brands ship springs that are much softer than advertised</TD></TR></TABLE>
who said i'm running JDM brand coilovers?
.RJ

who said i'm running JDM brand coilovers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You didnt say you werent.....

Default Re: (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because these rates are extremely high. i dont doubt theyre possible. i doubt theyre really beneficial. if theyre working for you. great.

ive used 900 lbs springs in the rear. its not like the car ceases to drive on the street, but to say it works great (for the street), youve got to have some really low expectation on greatness.

what car btw, and whats it used for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said they worked great on the street?
i said they worked great on the track...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You didnt say you werent..... </TD></TR></TABLE>
then why assume that i was?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:54 PM
.RJ

then why assume that i was?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just offering it up as a possible scenario, because it happens a lot.

Doesnt the H&R kit use koni inserts?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (Necessity)

I would go with GC/Koni or even Bilstein and the 400/500# springs as suggested.

More spring = less comfort = more dangerous in the rain (if daily driven)

I don't think the chassis you are starting with is very rigid - so unless you put in a cage using stiffer springs will be a waste anyways. Plus since you are a novice - you better learn the dynamics of the car first.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 PM

just to clarify here....
i'm not talking out of my ***...i've had track experience with different setups and I'm sharing what worked best for me.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to attack here.

I try to share my experience and i get attacked and questioned left, right and centre

it sure makes me think twice about helping fellow members out.

I mean how many of you guys actually have track time?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eclypz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not talking out of my ***...i've had track experience with different setups and I'm sharing what worked best for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not just different setups, and nothing against you - but most people put something on their car, declcare "it feels good" or "works great" but dont try to improve it by trying different spring rates front/rear, alignment, etc to make it better and qualify it with laptimes - and thats whats going to make the car faster and you will be more sensitive to changes.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 PM

I was just offering it up as a possible scenario, because it happens a lot.

Doesnt the H&R kit use koni inserts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

to be honest, i don't know, but I don't think so.
are you able to tell by looking at them?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Its not just different setups, and nothing against you - but most people put something on their car, declcare "it feels good" or "works great" but dont try to improve it by trying different spring rates front/rear, alignment, etc to make it better and qualify it with laptimes - and thats whats going to make the car faster and you will be more sensitive to changes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have tried different spring rates
I wanted a bit more rotation, so i swapped the rears out for stiffer ones (originally 14K, but now 16K).

Quick Reply: Track Suspension Thoughts and ?