Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Swapping Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Shocks

Hello everyone I have a question for you ALL to ponder since I can seem to find nor come up with an answer. I DD a 97 accord with tokico illumina/pro kit springs, my friend has the same car but has stock shocks with pro kits on them.We both love AutoX in my car and going to the local SCCA events here, he has a family so he can't go around spending a lot on his car, unlike my single life, lol? I gave him my old pro kits when I ordered my tokicos so that we could be both stanced nicely but I know the shocks won't last long. Recently I came up on a full set of koni str.t (orange) shocks with less than 1000 miles on them, paint is clean and no chips, and just last week by luck a full set of illuminas with the ajusters on all four, these have wear but are still good. I was hoping to give him either set and just slap on the pro kits on them, I do have a set of sportlines but those might be to harsh for him, soooooo......can I just swap out his old shocks for either koni or tokicos without an alignment or does it still need one? The ride height shouldn't change only dampening right? If anyone can chime in it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Swapping Shocks

the spring perch on aftermarket shocks should match stock. so therefore ride height wont change and so neither will toe.

however, you really never know, and the act of swapping parts may shift things.

its always best to get an alignment after these kinds of installations. and why wouldnt you want to make sure its correct? particularly if you care about how the car handles.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Swapping Shocks

I spare no expense if it's my car, but yeah a check is always a good thing to do, I was just wondering so I can swap his stuff out without an alignment, but I guess it will need one. Thank you