Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Suspension experts, I need some serious help with an issue in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension experts, I need some serious help with an issue in the rear

Resolved 3/8/19:
All is good now. I made sure to properly orient the k-tuned rear camber arms during installation (the under body mount has one round and one elongated hole), properly tighten the upper camber arm to knuckle mount during preload and tighten the lower shock mount during preload. I was able to get the corners matched and got an alignment. Was worried that somehow my frame was jacked lol. Thanks for all input.

06 RSX Type S:
Let me start by saying I installed a brand new set of BC Racing BR coilovers (10kg front, 12kg rear). I already have rear adjustable upper control arms installed from my previous Skunk2 Pro-C setup. I made sure to double check the preload already set by BC Racing. Height adjustments are equal for both rear coilovers.

My problem is when I lower the car the right rear corner ends up tucking the tire while the left rear looks good with the 1/2" gap or so. When I go under the car I can clearly see the spring compressed almost double that of the left rear. I have the fronts already installed and their heights are good to go as well.

Initially I thought it was an issue with the shock or spring on the right rear and BC Racing sent out a replacement Swift Spring after I sent them a vid testing the shock by itself.

I got the replacement spring today, installed it and I get the same result. I then swap the entire left rear coilover over to the right and vice versa, SAME RESULT on the right rear corner, it sags while the left is good.

I spent about an hour under the car looking to see if somehow I have suspension or frame damage and I cannot find anything out of the ordinary. My adjustable rear upper camber arms look like the bushings are going to need replacing sometime as they don't sit evenly in the housing. But my control arms, subframe, subframe brace, swaybar, knuckle, and anything else looks good. I took a ruler to compare measurements and I used the thin edge of a ruler to make sure my control arms and subframe weren't bent horizontally or vertically. To make matters worse my loosened preload skunk2 coilovers didn't sag like this, but they do have a much taller spring. The bc racing use a 5" rear spring while the skunks look an inch or so taller with more coils in the spring.

I'm clear out of ideas. I was thinking even if the garage floor was uneven it shouldn't cause that much sag in the corner. Even if I try to match on ground ride height I'm extending the bottom shock mount of the right rear to where there's barely any threads left in the housing, basically unsafe for driving. I never had this issue before with skunk2s on my civic or rsx. I swapped to bc for the rsx because my front right skunk2 coilover went bad and they no longer offer the pro-c's (adjustable upper camber plate) or any type of solution so I'm done buying skunk2.

Thanks for any help.

Update:

I found out my garage floor is uneven and there are areas as I'm walking I can feel it under my feet like certain areas are sloped so maybe it's leveled in a way it's raising the left front onto the back right to make it seem like it's lower than it is. Here are pictures of the rear Ingalls camber arms that I installed at the time with my skunk2 pro-c's. These pretty much were rusted like this within the first 12 months, but I'm disappointed they weren't fully painted or coated. These are 4 years old / 80,000 miles on them.

Notice the bushings on the camber arms, wearing the same for each side of the car. The one that came off the right side did feel a little softer. The three bushings (one upper, two lower) on each LCA appear to be good and not torn or cracked from what I can see looking over and under. Tierods are still sturdy on each side and not torn or loose.

I'm replacing these with K-Tuned camber arms that looks to be fully coated and painted. The bushing design is also different, looks to allow some lateral movement where the Ingalls had less lateral mobility.

Last edited by InTheZoneAC; 03-09-2019 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Resolved
Old 03-02-2019, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Suspension experts, I need some serious help with an issue in the rear

how did you set ride height
Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension experts, I need some serious help with an issue in the rear

Both rear coilovers matched exactly out the car, by BC Racing, then double checked by me and compared measurements of preload spring height and ride height. When installed the left rear corner has 1/2" or more of wheel gap the while the right rear corner is tucked by 1/4" or more. If I extend the right height adjustment on the right rear corner to match the left rear corner I have to extend the lower shock mount so much that there's barely any threads left to hold the coilover in place and that is unsafe for driving.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok.... the reason I ask is because setting ride height with coil overs is tricky if you’re trying to make sure you get precise ride heights. Most people slap the coils on and send it. I would bet your car is safe to drive as is. Read this article, it’s how I set ride height on my race car:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp...corner-weight/
Old 03-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you adjusted ride height using the lower mounts only, and set preload. Correct?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AndyM360
So you adjusted ride height using the lower mounts only, and set preload. Correct?
Preload was set from factory to 4mm from zero preload and I've double checked those as well. The two upper rings are locked and I do not touch those to set the height. I also found out my garage floor is uneven and there are areas as I'm walking I can feel it under my feet like certain areas are sloped so maybe it's leveled in a way it's raising the left front onto the back right to make it seem like it's lower than it is. So I'm thinking I need to install my new rear camber arms then set the height in the front to the same measurements (make sure each front height matches each other and set each rear height to match each other) and move the car around onto the driveway to compare how it looks. Also see my original post for my updated pictures of the rear camber arms.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I would definitely measure on a more even surface. Most garages are not very even and will result in different ride height appearances.

There is virtually no hope that anyone's driveway is even.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:44 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Yes, I would definitely measure on a more even surface. Most garages are not very even and will result in different ride height appearances.

There is virtually no hope that anyone's driveway is even.
^^^ truth. When the concrete company lays down the concrete mixture, they smooth it out to fill the space. 9 times out of 10, they aren't using a 20ft+ level to see if it's perfectly level, especially in a residential garage.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All is good now. I made sure to properly orient the k-tuned rear camber arms during installation (the under body mount has one round and one elongated hole), properly tighten the upper camber arm to knuckle mount during preload and tighten the lower shock mount during preload. I was able to get the corners matched and got an alignment. Was worried that somehow my frame was jacked lol. Thanks for all input.