Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Stuck Ebay Coil-overs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Ebay Coil-overs!

My DA rides on the crappy ebay coil-overs (they were on the car when I got it, and they seem in good condition so I kept them). I recently took up the task of lowering the front, as it sat like it had no engine in it. Anyway, the drivers side came loose and I adjusted the large nuts that lower the car. However the passenger's side was very tough, and I left it about half as low as driver's side (because the car sat even when I took it off the jack). The only way I made any headway with the passenger side was sticking a wrench in the grooves of the lowering nut and whacking it repeatedly with a hammer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this very tough nut loose? I know even crap sleeves come with a tool, but I doubt it would help much when I have to use a hammer and chisel, lol. On the driver's side I found it much easier to lower once got it low enough that it decompressed the spring. Is there another way to decompress the spring? Anyway, thanks alot. (I know I'm ghetto scum)
Old 12-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Stuck Ebay Coil-overs! (GolfIVTyBiggums)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GolfIVTyBiggums &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My DA rides on the crappy ebay coil-overs
(I know I'm ghetto scum)</TD></TR></TABLE>

your best solution would be to throw them out.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Ebay Coil-overs! (GolfIVTyBiggums)

Try soaking them in pb blaster or liquid wrench, maybe that will help. There was probably dirt and sand in the threads, which can make turning very difficult, but at this point you've already turnd it and whatever was in there is more or less permanently stuck between the rings and the sleeve threads. You might try raising it back up, cleaning the threads, and then re-lowering.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Stuck Ebay Coil-overs! (PIC Performance)

I did not get it fully lowered on the passenger side. I just gave up on it. What I'm wondering now is how I can just remove the whole passenger side coil-over and play with it without tension. I assume it is just like removing the stock components. However I've never taken off the stock stuff. If there is a how-to or something I would greatly appreciate it.