Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Steering wheel shake when braking? New rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel shake when braking? New rotors?

Hey guys just need some help with my 2002 Civic, a few months ago I started getting a really bad steering wheel shake while braking, when I got it checked I was told warped rotors so I replaced them and that fixed my shaking for a while but now after about 2 months it's shaking really bad on braking again.. only does it when I'm going highway speeds.. you guys have any ideas..? I couldn't find anything in the other posts
Old 01-06-2017, 04:53 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Steering wheel shake when braking? New rotors?

Read up Buttercup

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

edit: Jesus, I'll copy paste for the lazy people.

we began to hear of "warped brake discs" on road going cars, with the same analyses and diagnoses. Typically, the discs are resurfaced to cure the problem and, equally typically, after a relatively short time the roughness or vibration comes back.
Sound like the OP?

There is only one way to prevent this sort of thing - following proper break in procedures for both pad and disc and use the correct pad for your driving style and conditions. All high performance after market discs and pads should come with both installation and break in instructions. The procedures are very similar between manufacturers. With respect to the pads, the bonding resins must be burned off relatively slowly to avoid both fade and uneven deposits. The procedure is several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them. After the last stop, the system should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature. Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 60mph to 5 mph with normal acceleration in between should get the job done for a high performance street pad. During pad or disc break-in, do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others. If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid. Game over.

Last edited by 2LEM1; 01-06-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

"warped" rotors are a symptom, not the problem. replacing them doesnt make the problem go away. uneven or warped rotors exist, but that alone will only make a mild pulsing feeling.

when the steering wheel shakes, it means you have play in the steering/suspension. you have to find the source of it.

on an old crx that does not have power steering, it is almost ALWAYS the rack "end" bushing. this is what constrains the rack inside the housing, and if that is flopping around, you WILL get shakes.

get your car safely on jack stands or on a lift and feel around for the play. check your steering rack boots if theyre ripped and shake the rack in each extended position left/right. check balljoints (lower, upper and tie rods).
Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM
I like to party

Originally Posted by Tyson
warped rotors exist
No they don't.

Also, play in the steering wouldn't exhibit itself exclusively under braking.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
No they don't.
its not like we're talking about bigfoot or the boogieman. uneven deposited rotors manifest themselves as warped rotors. dont get hung up on dumb wording.

Also, play in the steering wouldn't exhibit itself exclusively under braking.
what makes you say that? do you even know what youre talking about?

if OP changed rotors and the problem came back, how does rehashing an old article solve his problem?

warped rotors are a symptom, not the problem.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:08 PM
On vacation

Cheap Chinese rotors warp very easily. Overheat them a few times without cooling them properly and they warp.

I recommend NAPA Premium rotors if you are looking for quality locally.

Brembo blanks are the best though, they won't warp.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 PM
I like to party

its not like we're talking about bigfoot or the boogieman. uneven deposited rotors manifest themselves as warped rotors. dont get hung up on dumb wording.
Fair enough

what makes you say that? do you even know what youre talking about?

if OP changed rotors and the problem came back, how does rehashing an old article solve his problem?
The answer is in the article, but I guess nobody wants to read it. OP simply isn't bedding his brakes properly.

Originally Posted by testify
Cheap Chinese rotors warp very easily. Overheat them a few times without cooling them properly and they warp.

Again, you're not bending thick *** iron discs with brake pressure, it's uneven deposits left on the disc from pad material and panic braking.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:22 PM
On vacation

I've literally turned warped rotors still on the car and seen them warped. Rotors can and do warp to the point of being able to see it with the naked eye.

Id also like to point out that your link is from Stoptech.

Do you know who Stoptech is? They are a cheap Chinese knockoff company with crap steel used in their crap products. Their ******* brake pads crumble at the first sign of heat. Their rotors warp quickly.

It does not surprise me that they're spinning that in an attempt t o shift blame from their shitty product.

Nobody is 'bending' steel. Crappy steal with crappy contaminants expands and contracts at different rates in the presence of heat and they warp.

Physics.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:25 PM
I like to party

Holy ******* **** man.

Fine. You're right. Don't listen to me. This is my first rodeo.

Warped' Rotors Myth - Correctly Service Brakes: Runout, Disc Thickness

Tech Article: Warped Brake Discs

Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp | Hendon Publishing

The Final Word on Brake Vibration and “Warped” Rotors

Millennials are really good at doubling down on their stupidity... you guys can't even just admit you're incorrect.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Warped rotors would show up as run-out on a dial indicator. Years ago a machine shop ruined a rear hub of mine by removing a bearing race with a torch. The axle warped and the rotor did not rotate in the correct plane. If you put a dial indicator on the outside face of the rotor, it would show that the rotor "seemed" to be warped. Or course it was not, it was the hub. But the condition it displayed was not a pulsing in the brakes, it was knock-back where the piston is forced back into the caliper by the unevenly rotating brake rotor. When you hit the brakes, the pedal was very low, then on a second pump it got better. This was repeated every time the brakes were applied. But no pulsing.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by testify

I wonder where NAPA and/or Brembo discs are made now.

You're wrong though...pad deposits on rotors make the surface uneven. This presents itself as warped rotors.

Which is what Tyson is saying. The pad deposits and rotor are considered 1 entity. This leads to the concept of warped rotors.

If we're being technical, however, the ROTOR PLANES are not warped in that case.

You'll be hard pressed to find a rotor plane that warped from heat...on a street car. Think of what you're saying.

I also haven't seen stoptech sport pads crumble. I certainly haven't crumbled them...even after some light track use. They're not TRACK pads anyway.

This thread isn't about race cars...but I have a feeling you're about to make it a "lemme tell you about my irrelevant race car" thread, as that is your MO.

So:
I use "whatever" brand rotors for track use....and "whatever else" brand for street use. I have never warped a rotor in any sense.

OP:
Bed in the pads properly. Don't use **** pads. Pads are more important than rotor brand.

Avoid clamping the brakes after a hard/high speed stop.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder where NAPA and/or Brembo discs are made now.
BREMBO made in italy these days
Old 11-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wobbly control arm bushings can also cause this.