Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Slotted , drilled vs Oem rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slotted , drilled vs Oem rotors

I have a 94 del sol si. And a recent diagnosis has discovered some possible cracks in my front rotors. So it is time to get new ones.

I have read that slotted and drilled rotors are a complete waist of money for our little cars cause we would never get the components to a temperature where the slots and drills would actually make a difference.
Is this a true statement?

I need to get some new rotors and have been reading that some of the cross drilled models are impervious to cracking . This would make it worth a little extra money to me.

What is the best route to go and if it is aftermarket what are the best brands to use?

Discussion?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Slotted , drilled vs Oem rotors

Originally Posted by courtney42
I have a 94 del sol si. And a recent diagnosis has discovered some possible cracks in my front rotors. So it is time to get new ones.

I have read that slotted and drilled rotors are a complete waist of money for our little cars cause we would never get the components to a temperature where the slots and drills would actually make a difference.
Is this a true statement?

I need to get some new rotors and have been reading that some of the cross drilled models are impervious to cracking . This would make it worth a little extra money to me.

What is the best route to go and if it is aftermarket what are the best brands to use?

Discussion?
i've had my brembo slotted and drilled rotors for a year now, i've worn the pads half way down and been to 2 autox events.. and i drive my car pretty hard on the street..

they are beginning to crack, and if i buy another set of rotors they will either be just slotted or brembo blanks...

drilled rotors are worthless
Old 06-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brembo blanks

or powerslot cryo gen treatment?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why are slots ok but drilled suck? I want to get some that will Not crack.

Where did you get your blanks?

Any more input on this topic?

Last edited by courtney42; 06-28-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Originally Posted by courtney42
Why are slots ok but drilled suck? I want to get some that will Not crack.

Where did you get your blanks?

Any more input on this topic?
the drilled part will start to crack and eventually ruin the rotor, it's also very unsafe..

slotted usually don't crack. but again the slots are less surface area for the brake pads to bite..

where i live the rain doesn't drain that well so i have a piece of mind with the slots so the water has a place to go when i'm using my brakes.. i'm not sure if it actually works or not but i brake fine when the water is up to my doors
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohsnapzafingcu
but again the slots are less surface area for the brake pads to bite..
Untrue statement. Actually slotted disks do increase initial bite due to having more leading edges for the pad to bite. It although does increase your wear rates on the pad (exactly due to having more bite)

Drilled disks - those are just for show these days. 30+ years ago, it was usefull because of the gas layer pads would make. These days pads dont make so much gas so a slotted or dimpled design is enough. Drilled or slotted disks we never designed for cooling.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like i will be getting some blanks then. I hope i can find ones that will not crack.
Any one know of a good brand? Brembo as stated above are well known. Any others?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to simply put it = go with blanks, either oem, brembo or even autozone. Rotors are wear items so go with the cheapest, spend more money on pads & tires if you want to stop better.

Also learn how to search using key words.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

autozone blanks 20 bucks a piece. warranty!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol... i have powerslots on the front of my sedan (teg brakes) and they seem to do fine. I've never had fade (probably never pushed them far enough) I have been very hard on them at 2 autox's and they performed great. but for the price i'll probably just go with brembo blanks when they're due. i'm getting brembo blanks for my rear disks soon.

like Charlie Moua said... brakes are consumables. so if you track your car a lot you might just want to go with the cheapest rotors available.

also... I'm almost positive ive read here on HT before that brembo never made drilled rotors for hondas, only slotted. so if you see crossdrilled and slotted brembos, they have been drilled since they have been cast! Bad deal. the high end exotic cars that have drilled rotors actually have the holes cast into the rotors=no cracking problems like the post cast drilled rotors.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone ever heard of the Brembos cracking? If so i will just get the cheap ones from auto zone.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the internet, so much useless info.

If you think that drilled slotted has no effect, then why put them on super cars? In another post a few weeks back, someone had stated that drilled and slotted is worse than solid, if that's the case, why would formula 1 and other race vehicles including super cars use drilled and slotted? I mean, people claim that drilled is bad, yet the ALL higher end cars use it. It has nothing to do with "only used back when gas builds up". It does help cooling. If your a retard, and you slam on your brakes and lock them up, of course the holes will just hold the heat in. BUT, if you brake properly, those holes get air through them cooling the disk better. ALSO, why you do you think that rims have holes in the side? Its more than just light weight, they have open sides to allow air in to cool your rotors, otherwise they would heat up and take forever to cool down, hence why cars NEVER have solid rims, even if it is the lightest material possible.

Yes the holes help with breaking with more "bite" and yes they help with cooling, but because of added grip and cooling, they tend to last less than other slotted or solid.

If you want performance that will last, go with some aftermarket slotted without the drilled. That will grip better, and cool better than solid OEM, but wont grab as hard as drilled. Many people here need to stop posting bad info to others.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go with blanks and you won't regret it.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought BAER Slotted/drilled rotors last year and withen about 6 months they looked like this :

Old 07-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch ! That's exactly what i want to avoid. lol
Seems like the consensus is blanks are the best boys. thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Del Namco Solo
Liiiiike...

why would formula 1 and other race vehicles including super cars use drilled and slotted?
Please tell me what F1 car that you know of that uses drilled and slotted brakes.

Many people here need to stop posting bad info to others.
When you're right...you're right.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you think that drilled slotted has no effect, then why put them on super cars? In another post a few weeks back, someone had stated that drilled and slotted is worse than solid, if that's the case, why would formula 1 and other race vehicles including super cars use drilled and slotted? I mean, people claim that drilled is bad, yet the ALL higher end cars use it. It has nothing to do with "only used back when gas builds up". It does help cooling. If your a retard, and you slam on your brakes and lock them up, of course the holes will just hold the heat in. BUT, if you brake properly, those holes get air through them cooling the disk better. ALSO, why you do you think that rims have holes in the side? Its more than just light weight, they have open sides to allow air in to cool your rotors, otherwise they would heat up and take forever to cool down, hence why cars NEVER have solid rims, even if it is the lightest material possible.

Yes the holes help with breaking with more "bite" and yes they help with cooling, but because of added grip and cooling, they tend to last less than other slotted or solid.

If you want performance that will last, go with some aftermarket slotted without the drilled. That will grip better, and cool better than solid OEM, but wont grab as hard as drilled. Many people here need to stop posting bad info to others.
understood but you are comparing F1 race cars to daily driven integra? rotors used in race cars are replaced after every race....do most integra owners have big name sponsors to foot the bill? do integra owners race everyday? can most integras even reach F1 speeds safely on the street?

If you got a dedicated track car and got money then go ahead and get the full x drilled slotted and just replace them when they crack. most people just get them because they look nicer not for the use. for everyone else blanks are just fine, its all about the pads.

Lots of guys at events wont even brake 100% because they dont wanna wear their expensive pads and x-drilled BBK rotors cuz of $$$. My rotors were $20 bucks and i run them till they smoke and are blue and just swap them out when done.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very interesting thread...its probly about time to replace pads and rotors on my piece
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Vietnamese!

Blanks rotors are the way to go.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty helpful, I gotta replace my brakes in the next few days... gonna go blank or slotted with good pads any suggestions on pads was lookin at hawk and ebc
Old 07-09-2009, 07:14 PM

i like drilled and slotted bc break dust is a pain to get off your rims 4 days after you clean it. my suggestion drilled and slotted, look better, lighter, and get good pads, cheap pads is cheap breaking.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Meighty7
any suggestions on pads was lookin at hawk and ebc
???

interested as well..
Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 AM
BCICAN

Originally Posted by 95civhb
???

interested as well..
I'm using the Hawk HP+....excellent pad in my opinion.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stay away from the Hawk HPS pads
Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dunc
I'm using the Hawk HP+....excellent pad in my opinion.
Are you DD'ing this pad? I'm considering it soon.

Originally Posted by accord_raffi
stay away from the Hawk HPS pads
I hate it when I read posts like this on here...

No reasoning, no setup posted, no driving style, no purpose, not a single detail... just because. Explain your reasoning or you'll just be another naysayer.

I've never heard a single bad thing about any Hawk pad.

Quick Reply: Slotted , drilled vs Oem rotors