Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

? rotating tires X, front to back, shocks affect wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? rotating tires X, front to back, shocks affect wear

? rotating tires X, front to back, shocks affect wear
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have yokohama Yk420s
(i think theyre nondirectional, how can i tell for sure?)

and from my last alignment i have more camber with a certain wheel compared to the others.

i lowered my car with eibach prokits about 3 years ago(2004) but diddnt change the shocks.

i have 2 questions:

1) the manual includes both pics of rotatiing the tires in an X pattern, and the front to back pattern. if i have camber on just one wheel and the rest is ok, cant i just alternate between the front-back and X -diagonal (do a different rotation pattern each time) rotations everytime i rotate? soemone at the shop told me to just stick with front-back , wouldnt i even the wear more by giving each tire more time on the other wheels? i would think the X pattern would cause that diagonal pair to wear more than the other diagonal pair . and the front to back will cause the single side to wear more than the other side.

2) i think my shocks have gone bad by now cus i hear a loud noise even when i press down on my hood when it is parked. but it is only from the front 2 shocks that make sound when i do this "pressing down" on the hood/trunk thing. it sounds like bad brakes. im worried that this will cause extra wear on tires, would it? when i brake, and the weight tilts to the front of the car, i hear something that sounds like tires rubbing (rubbing the fenders?) but i am not exactly sure what it is. would this change toe/camber? if i get new shocks what should i do, get oem ? or aftermarket?

for now, is the best thing i can do rotations?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ? rotating tires X, front to back, shocks affect wear (blackriceman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackriceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and from my last alignment i have more camber with a certain wheel compared to the others. </TD></TR></TABLE>

something might be bent

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackriceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i lowered my car with eibach prokits about 3 years ago(2004) but diddnt change the shocks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

change them

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackriceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1) the manual includes both pics of rotatiing the tires in an X pattern, and the front to back pattern. if i have camber on just one wheel and the rest is ok, cant i just alternate between the front-back and X -diagonal (do a different rotation pattern each time) rotations everytime i rotate? soemone at the shop told me to just stick with front-back , wouldnt i even the wear more by giving each tire more time on the other wheels? i would think the X pattern would cause that diagonal pair to wear more than the other diagonal pair . and the front to back will cause the single side to wear more than the other side. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I usually rotate front to back on the same side, sometimes I rotate in the X pattern (usually after a track day because one side will wear more than the other)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackriceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 2) i think my shocks have gone bad by now cus i hear a loud noise even when i press down on my hood when it is parked. but it is only from the front 2 shocks that make sound when i do this "pressing down" on the hood/trunk thing. it sounds like bad brakes. im worried that this will cause extra wear on tires, would it? when i brake, and the weight tilts to the front of the car, i hear something that sounds like tires rubbing (rubbing the fenders?) but i am not exactly sure what it is. would this change toe/camber? if i get new shocks what should i do, get oem ? or aftermarket? </TD></TR></TABLE>

replace with good aftermarket shocks.