Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Replacement suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement suspension parts

Hi all, my 02 Accord is at 170,000 miles and I'd like to do a suspension refresh. The front struts have a ton of bounce, and there is general looseness, sloppiness, and a bit of creaking on roads that are less than perfect. I'd like to replace the struts/springs, control arms/ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, bushings, and anything else considered a wear item.

This is my daily, and I have a '93 MR2 that is set up for performance and is 46 inches high from roof line to road. So for my Accord, I don't need to lower or go for any real performance options, just standard replacements to continue giving me a smooth and sure ride. The 'problem' compared to the MR2 is there are tons of parts available, and I'm not sure what's good and what's not. Obviously I'll go OEM if other options aren't good, but if I can save some money, I'll do that. There are no-name replacements kits on ebay, then there are brands like Moog, Mevotech, AC Delco etc in stores and at Rock Auto. Anyone have experience with any of the above, or can point me to some good sources?

Many thanks!
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Replacement suspension parts

Bought a lot of Mevotech for Civics. I think they're probably a supplier for a lot of the stuff the parts stores sell. Similar quality and expected life.

Personally don't think Moog's as good as it used to be, but for a newer gen like yours might still be worth the extra cost.

Don't Ebay. Please. I regret it every time.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, good to know. Yeah the ebay stuff looks sketchy, I'll avoid.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using no-name replacement parts and name brand stuff between my two cars haven't had an issue yet on either of them...

As far as control arms go, if you get the option, buy and arm the has bushings ALREADY INSTALLED! Trust me. Someone told me the same thing, and I didn't believe it, but took it to 3 shops, and the 4th one was able to push out one of the LCA bushings, not both. Just get the pre-installed.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know, thanks. Yeah I had a similar experience with the MR2. The rear hub-side tie rod bearings were an absolute beast to get the old ones out & new ones in, so I will take any opportunity to get a part with bushings or bearing pre-installed.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long will you keep the car?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's paid off, so I'll drive it until it dies.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 AM

Well...there's no quality like OEM.

So I would either leave ball joints and tie rods alone...or replace them with Honda genuine parts. Never a brilliant idea to use aftermarket lower ball joints. I doubt they need replacement. Check for looseness or damage before replacing.

For LCA's...its 100x easier to buy assemblies. At 170k, all 3 LCA bushings probably need replacement anyway. Aftermarket LCA's aren't nearly as good as OEM...but they'll work. Moog, Mevotech, Beck Arnley...whatever. Beck Arnley looked the closest to OEM in my experience. Just make sure you clock the bushings, regardless of what brand you use.

Honda sway bar links are cheap...and they easily last 120-200k miles+.

Shock assemblies can be bought at Honda too. Or use KYB assemblies if you're looking to save a few dollars. They won't ride as well as OEM...but they are cheap and durable.

use part sites like bernardiparts or similar for OEM part discounts.

Use rockauto for the OE replacement parts.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I am in a similar boat, looking to refresh everything I can in the front suspension. I know OEM is best, but I looked up a few parts and even just an OEM lower ball joint for me is $60 a pop. With all the parts I want to replace, there is no way I can spend $240 on ball joints alone. So I am wondering what the most reliable OE replacement brand is for this stuff.

Also planning to go with the Energy Suspension poly bushing kit, so I'll have no choice but to get those LCA bushings out one way or another
Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2x0
I am in a similar boat, looking to refresh everything I can in the front suspension. I know OEM is best, but I looked up a few parts and even just an OEM lower ball joint for me is $60 a pop. With all the parts I want to replace, there is no way I can spend $240 on ball joints alone. So I am wondering what the most reliable OE replacement brand is for this stuff.

Also planning to go with the Energy Suspension poly bushing kit, so I'll have no choice but to get those LCA bushings out one way or another

?? the car only has 2 lower ball joints...
Your math is off a bit.
Unless you have a 5G Prelude SH or some similar setup?

Sankei 555's seem like a decent alternative for lower ball joints, I suppose.

There isn't any 1 reputable brand for all aftermarket components. You just have to pick the ones that suck the least for the component you plan to replace.

Getting the bushings out is MASSIVELY easy.

You will probably regret the energy kit.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did poly bushings for the MR2. You have to really want them. I suppose they'll firm things up a bit if you're looking for that, but for me, at least, it wasn't worth it. I didn't notice any handling improvement, but the ride was definitely harsher.

Thanks for the info, B.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I have 2 upper, and 2 lower ball joints. 2+2=4
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0
I have 2 upper, and 2 lower ball joints. 2+2=4
Honda doesn't sell upper joints for almost any model. And you can't use lowers as uppers. And you said lowers.

Anyway...2 ball joints and 2 complete arms for $240 isn't bad, if that's what you meant.

I'm not picking on you. You stand to save maybe $50-60 total by going aftermarket lower joints.

My points:
-From all the posts you see regarding 'OE replacement' ball joints that failed...none of them end with "well...at least I saved $60 on the ball joints".

-A lower ball joint is critical. There are things you can get away with using an aftermarket replacement for. A lower ball joint is not a good place to save money.

-The factory joints should be good for a VERY long time. If yours aren't loose...what do you plan to gain by replacing them?

-In virtually every single case (at least for Hondas), any aftermarket part is a downgrade in quality. You have to be quite daft to trust an aftermarket part like you would a Honda genuine one. Again...sometimes a downgrade doesn't really make a heap of difference. But sometimes it does.

Polyurethane is not the correct material for suspension bushings. Just like plywood is not the right material for underwear.

Last edited by B serious; 07-18-2018 at 09:26 AM.