Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

rear end feels light

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end feels light

I got a 97 civic h/b, with koni yellow shox and H&R sport springs, a Suspension technique 19mm sway bar, and generic front and rear strut tower bars

now I'm a newbie to suspension tuning, and not too sure if something I have (sway maybe) is the cause of this, but when I hit corners hard (on a track of course) the rear end feels like it lifts up (uncompresses) and is ready to come around easy...the harder I push teh more it gets lighter and the more I feel like it's just ready to step out

now I know the sway stiffens up the rear and that I can understand being the cause of it wanting to step out...but what I don't get is why it's feeling so light...I can feel the suspension almost completally uncompress and wobble...it's freaking me out

Is this normal? This is my first modded car, and I've never experianced this before, so...any recommendation(s)?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rear end feels light (Leb_CRX)

Stability is a difficult thing to quantify. I wonder why you think it feels "light" but I understand what you mean. I would start with getting alignment specs. Just a little rear toe-out can make a car very skittish. Also double-check tire pressures. Too high a rear pressure can also make the a$$ a little unstable feeling.

But, do recognize that your car will lift an inside rear tire under hard cornering and as you go to a bigger rear bar it happens more and more. This is as designed. And the more it feels like it wants to step out the closer you are to neutral. Remember loose is fast but loose is also dangerous.

If you feel like your car is going to bite you in corners then maybe you need to go to a softer rear bar or a bigger front bar or softer rear springs.

Get someone who knows to drive your car and get their opinion.