Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

rear drums ej6

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear drums ej6

Name:  h5F7vlC.png
Views: 84
Size:  9.3 KB

i had to gut the entire drum brake system on the right side of my ej6 because it froze up where the shoes were stuck to the inside of the drum. i haven't opened up the left side drum yet but im sure it's just as bad.

i want to completely do my rear drum brake systems im gonna need all new springs pins everything

the important thing i need to ask on here is what am i gonna do about the cable that runs from the hand brake to the wheels. it always froze if i used hand brake in cold snow and ice. and i think it's still frozen now i need to replace the cables. is that hard? what do i need to replace the whole thing that runs under the car?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: rear drums ej6

Removing the cables is easy. Remove the center console and cut the lug off or back off the adjuster until you can remove it. If the cable is seized cutting it would be more practical. There are a few brackets that hold the cable to the frame and the rear trailing arm. Some of those bolts may break off (they are 10mm heads, easy to break).

When reinstalling the cable, attach the center console first, and then the shoe at the wheel end.

Properly install the shoes and adjust them, then adjust the equalizer on the center console to give the proper engagement height.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
Removing the cables is easy. Remove the center console and cut the lug off or back off the adjuster until you can remove it. If the cable is seized cutting it would be more practical. There are a few brackets that hold the cable to the frame and the rear trailing arm. Some of those bolts may break off (they are 10mm heads, easy to break).

When reinstalling the cable, attach the center console first, and then the shoe at the wheel end.

Properly install the shoes and adjust them, then adjust the equalizer on the center console to give the proper engagement height.
are the cables in my dx the same as the ones in the si or ex? and many other hondas? or are there different sizes/lengths. how can i prevent my cables from seizing up in future in harsh winters

are there better ones than the ones i got, because im about to do a full rear brake service with good brands. i have decided i do not want rear disc because i can rely on cable drums to stop me in an emergency

now someone will say rear disc cables are better for hand brake but i disagree. please convince me otherwise

edit: also, it's important to note that when taking off the right drum i broke the tip off of the cable so im gonna have to replace at least the right side anyways, might as well do both?

Last edited by properlystewed; 05-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your talking 99-00 Si, the cables are different as they use disc brakes in the rear, so you would have to find rear brake cables for a drum brake application for your particular year.

The equalizer (#3) will balance braking application from left to right, so replacing one cable is okay, however if one seizes up, I would highly scrutinize the other cable.

Apply high temp silicone grease where the cable exits the jacket, to help prevent corrosion from eating at the lug quickly.