Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   rear brake caliper need help asap!!! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/rear-brake-caliper-need-help-asap-2717991/)

JaysonDC2 01-27-2010 09:59 AM

rear brake caliper need help asap!!!

JaysonDC2 01-27-2010 11:29 AM

Re: rear brake caliper need help asap!!!

anyone??

jr_deleon 01-27-2010 01:08 PM

you do not push the rear pistons in. They twist in. You can either get the tool dedicated to the task (shaped like a cube or circle with raised grooves that fit into the pistons) or use some needle nose pliers (use as a last resort but be careful)

if you are twisting it and can't get it in, maybe its so far out you got it out of its groove and needs to be put back in .

JaysonDC2 01-27-2010 01:16 PM

thats what i did i tried to twist it and push it in at the same time but it wont move. and the rubber seal around the piston is startin to rip too what u guys think? my calipers gone or is there anyway i can twist the piston in?

jr_deleon 01-27-2010 02:57 PM

Years ago I had that issue and with brute force i got it back in and it worked just fine. Its not gone, but if the seal's ripped its best to get another one anyway.

JaysonDC2 01-27-2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jr_deleon (Post 41384587)
Years ago I had that issue and with brute force i got it back in and it worked just fine. Its not gone, but if the seal's ripped its best to get another one anyway.

did u open the brake reservoir cap when u twist it in? yea the seal is all rusty.. i might jst get a rebuild one. and one more thing i feel like my E-brake cable stucks how can u check that i took of my center console and looked at the e-brake cables but i cant tell if theyre shot or not.

jr_deleon 01-27-2010 06:24 PM

Always with the cap off. Technically you could salvage it, but if you cant turn it then get another one. The cable could be stuck due to the current condition of that caliper. Usually the cable breaks and then the equalizer (silver bracket attached to the rear of the e brake where the cables attach) only pulls one of the cables. I havent had a "stuck" condition or heard of it. Usually when the ebrake has only a few clicks before you cant pull it anymore, you should loosen it a bit till it only has at most 7 clicks to stop. If its too tight you run the risk of snapping it if you pull it too much. It would more be the rusty e brake mechanism on either caliper or stuck rear piston than the cables because they'd only snap

JaysonDC2 01-27-2010 07:05 PM

both cables pull when ebrake engaged/disengeged but their not even. arent they suppose to line up even when ebrake released? and i can pull the ebrake up till 7 or 8 clicks tight

jr_deleon 01-27-2010 07:27 PM

Thats not too bad. Sometimes they will be uneven. How uneven is what matters. If one is way forward, then that particular cable is stretched and will need to be replaced. This is assuming the parking brake mechanisms move freely at the calipers too

JaysonDC2 01-27-2010 07:44 PM

nvm

CX-Adam 07-06-2010 09:39 PM

Is this the only time this question has been asked? I'm looking for a little more info then what the Helms manual provides. Which is an assembly order diagram...