Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

One front brake running much hotter than the other?

Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulsating brake pedal and one front brake running much hotter than the other??

I had some brake shudder so I took the discs off and properly roughed them up and then refitted to hopefully rebed the pads, it was marginally successful but in the process of monitoring the bedding in process I noticed the passenger brake runs much hotter than the drivers side, i's on a 1999 CRV, the 2 drum brakes at the rear run at the same temperature so they seem fine.

Obviously my first thought was binding brakes but I've jacked the front off of the ground twice and checked and there are no obvious signs of brake binding, the wheel turns easily by hand and feels the same as the drivers side. Other work I have done is I have flushed the brakes all round in the last month or two, I did follow the Honda sequence to bled the wheels in the order they specify. I have also recently had work done on the drive shaft on the passenger side that is getting hot, is there anything potentially related to the driveshaft or their fitment that can cause heat, maybe the bearing is too tight and is binding, doesn't seem like that could be possible seeing how easy it is to turn the wheel by hand but you never know.

What should I look at to try troubleshoot this, could it perhaps be the drivers side brake needs to be bled again, ie the passenger side is working at full capacity and hence running hotter than the drivers side?

Last edited by B20Zer; 04-16-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: One front brake running much hotter than the other?

Originally Posted by B20Zer
I had some brake shudder so I took the discs off and properly roughed them up and then refitted to hopefully rebed the pads, it was marginally successful but in the process of monitoring the bedding in process I noticed the passenger brake runs much hotter than the drivers side, i's on a 1999 CRV, the 2 drum brakes at the rear run at the same temperature so they seem fine.

Obviously my first thought was binding brakes but I've jacked the front off of the ground twice and checked and there are no obvious signs of brake binding, the wheel turns easily by hand and feels the same as the drivers side. Other work I have done is I have flushed the brakes all round in the last month or two, I did follow the Honda sequence to bled the wheels in the order they specify. I have also recently had work done on the drive shaft on the passenger side that is getting hot, is there anything potentially related to the driveshaft or their fitment that can cause heat, maybe the bearing is too tight and is binding, doesn't seem like that could be possible seeing how easy it is to turn the wheel by hand but you never know.

What should I look at to try troubleshoot this, could it perhaps be the drivers side brake needs to be bled again, ie the passenger side is working at full capacity and hence running hotter than the drivers side?
A hot brake caliper / rotor on one side is usually caused by a sticky caliper piston or in some cases, sticky caliper pins. In theory, the brake line could be twisted or crimped too but that's a rarity with rubber lines.

I would check the caliper pistons and pins on both sides and make sure that they move relatively freely on both sides. If the caliper pens are bent or have any corrosion on them, you'll want to replace them. If the caliper piston moves roughly or is seized on one side, consider replacing the whole caliper (they're cheap enough fortunately).
Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by boxedfox
A hot brake caliper / rotor on one side is usually caused by a sticky caliper piston or in some cases, sticky caliper pins. In theory, the brake line could be twisted or crimped too but that's a rarity with rubber lines.

I would check the caliper pistons and pins on both sides and make sure that they move relatively freely on both sides. If the caliper pens are bent or have any corrosion on them, you'll want to replace them. If the caliper piston moves roughly or is seized on one side, consider replacing the whole caliper (they're cheap enough fortunately).
If the calliper piston or pins were seized wouldn't that show up as drag when you jacked the wheel up and rotated it?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A seized piston usually causes the pad to drag, but a bent caliper pin is sometimes hard to detect.

It could also be the driver's side which is sticky and seized and it is preventing them from clamping down properly. That would also cause one side to be cooler.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

A seized piston usually causes the pad to drag, but a bent caliper pin is sometimes hard to detect.
But either of those would show as some wheel drag?
With the wheel jacked up I had someone pushing and releasing the brake, tried that multiple times but still no noticeable drag.

Could it potentially be air in the brake line on the drivers side and it not working much and hence not heating up as much as the passenger side?
The other strange thing is when braking hard the car does not pull to one side which apparently can be a symptom of a damaged calliper
Old 04-02-2018, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm actually suspecting caliper problem on the driver's side and that it isn't clamping down. Could be air in the lines on one side, but the car would pull under hard braking if that were the case. Still worth trying - bleeding front brakes is easy enough.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm actually suspecting caliper problem on the driver's side and that it isn't clamping down. Could be air in the lines on one side, but the car would pull under hard braking if that were the case. Still worth trying - bleeding front brakes is easy enough.
But if it were calliper damage on the drivers side there would either be some brake drag or a brake fluid leak.
I suppose I need to first bleed it and rule out the air in the lines, can I bleed just the one wheel or do I technically need to bleed all the wheels in sequence if I need to bleed any of them?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, not necessarily. Sticky caliper pins, for example, might not appear unless they're completely seized in. You can bleed just one wheel.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

But wouldn't a sticky calliper pin cause at least some drag?
I didn't check the driver wheel per say but I did use it to compare the passenger wheel to when checking if it was moving freely
Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd be surprised at what manifests at speed and is otherwise undetectable when you're just rolling the car around.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Replace the caliper or rebuild it with a new seal.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

normally when something is seizing you would drive it hard til it gets hot, as fast as possible pull the wheel and when you pull the caliper make a note of how hard it is to get it off the pad, could be slide pin, piston, brake hose collapsing internally, extremely rare abs module going bad