Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

OEM EK brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM EK brake upgrades

So I recently acquired a 98 ex that I had previously owned, then sold to a co-worker when I was employed by Honda. He swapped a B18C into it but then picked up a clean hatch and is building a Type R replica.

I got the car again and I'm in the stages of planning out suspension/ brakes etc... The car is going to be a fun daily/ weekend autoXer.

Anybody have oem break upgrades on their EK they would wish to discuss?

I'm thinking of going with 6th gen Accord calipers in the front, DC Integra discs in the rear, Si prop. valve and possibly a 15/16th master cylinder.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM EK brake upgrades

I'm not sure if you have seen it, or if it will help, but there is thread labeled 'BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras' up in the Sticky section at https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/brakeexperts-brake-chart-thread-civic-brake-upgrades-ef-eg-ek-integras-3044628/. - Jim
Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not everything that fits, works, and not everything that works, fits.

See BrakeExperts thread for what fits.

See this one for what works.

Pick the simplest, cheapest setup that does what you want, and check it fits.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have read that brake expert thread. That's how I came to the conclusion to go with the set up I mentioned earlier. I've also read several similar threads on other Honda forums. I'm interested hearing from people that are running these set ups from brake expert's chart and how well they perform from the user's personal experience.

Simplest and cheapest seems to be accord calipers with dc discs in rear. I'm also interested to hear from others about MC choices and booster choices. Alot of people with EG civics are running full GSR brake systems. According to the chart mentioned, the accord calipers are slightly better and are supposed to bolt right up to the ex knuckles.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A few comments:

1) If you decide to use ITR calipers, then I believe that Honda wagon V6 and a few other cars also use the same caliper. When I needed an extra set of those calipers, a Honda racer mentioned that info to me, and it helped as the Honda wrecking yard I went to already had the calipers and brackets off of the car and in one big heap, so it made it easy to look thru them for the right caliper plus the brackets (25T) I wanted.

2) My car is a race car (2000 Civic hatch), but I went from I believe a 13/16" to a 1" master cylinder, and that definitely worked out well on the track. My setup is the Fastbrake 11" kit (two piece rotors), ITR/Honda V6 calipers, 25T brackets (needed since the Fastbrake rotors are ~1" thick), plus I had to grind the brackets and calipers, but that was just because I needed them to fit in Enkei RPF1 15x7 ET35 wheels that step down in the bracket/caliper area.

PS - I'm also in Norcal (Sunnyvale). - Jim
Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
A few comments:

1) If you decide to use ITR calipers, then I believe that Honda wagon V6 and a few other cars also use the same caliper. When I needed an extra set of those calipers, a Honda racer mentioned that info to me, and it helped as the Honda wrecking yard I went to already had the calipers and brackets off of the car and in one big heap, so it made it easy to look thru them for the right caliper plus the brackets (25T) I wanted.

2) My car is a race car (2000 Civic hatch), but I went from I believe a 13/16" to a 1" master cylinder, and that definitely worked out well on the track. My setup is the Fastbrake 11" kit (two piece rotors), ITR/Honda V6 calipers, 25T brackets (needed since the Fastbrake rotors are ~1" thick), plus I had to grind the brackets and calipers, but that was just because I needed them to fit in Enkei RPF1 15x7 ET35 wheels that step down in the bracket/caliper area.

PS - I'm also in Norcal (Sunnyvale). - Jim
Good to know thanks. I would like to go with the cheapest most effective route. I will probably just upgrade my tires, rotors and pads before doing anything with the calipers. Then I'll make a trip to the junk yard and pick up Accord calipers and Integra rear discs. My whole ideal car set up is for spirited daily driving, and possible weekend autoX use. Since this is my daily, I don't see the point in investing tons of time and money into a car that probably won't see the track (at least for now!)

If you're located up north where do you normally race your car?
Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ZombiePharoh
If you're located up north where do you normally race your car?
I live in Sunnyvale zip 94087 and usually drive/race at Thunderhill, Infineon, and sometimes Laguna Seca. I've also been to Buttonwillow and Reno Fernley one time each. Right now, I'm driving in the race group with NCRC (Norcal Racing Club) and running Time Trial (TTC) with Nasa. - Jim