Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Odyssey Rattling Noise on Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey Rattling Noise on Left Turn

I have a 2003 Odyssey that makes a rattling noise while I'm turning left and only while I'm moving. I thought there was some loose metal but found nothing loose under the van today. SO, I checked the CV axle. The boots didn't appear torn and I saw no signs of grease. There was some vertical play on the inboard side of the axle. I don't know if that's normal. I attempted to move the tire at 12/6 o'clock and 3/9 o'clock, tight. I'm leaning toward replacing the passenger CV axle and probably the driver side while I'm at it. Have you seen this before? Any suggestions?

I'm just a commercial HVAC tech and only work on my personal vehicles as needed. Thanks for any help or advice?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odyssey Rattling Noise on Left Turn

How many miles on it, and does it make the noise worse the sharper you turn? It sounds like a CV joint, or the noise an outer would make if it was worn out. If its high-mileage they can wear out even if the boots and grease is ok. I had a Civic where both sides developed a rattle (matching wheel-speed) when going around tight corners at around 140k. The boots on mine were fine, and OE, and replacing the axles fixed it.

Its not easy to diagnose if you aren't familiar with the particular noise they make. Externally they can look fine, and you can't replicate the noise on a lift usually, where the joint would be unloaded. A little play is normal as well; one of those things where you rule out other things first, then replace it and hope that was it.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Odyssey Rattling Noise on Left Turn

Thanks for the response. Since I'm leaving town I bartered HVAC service with my mechanic. As I suspected (but failed to prove) it was the passenger side splash guard rattling. It wasn't the clunky or grinding sound you'd expect with CV or bearings. I really learned a lot with this though.