Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

NSX calipers on ITR

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSX calipers on ITR

Hey guys

I want to put 91-96 NSX (na1) calipers on my 01 ITR. I just had a few questions about the brake upgrade.

For the front I will use Legend coupe rotors (28mm x 282mm) with NSX caliper brackets. Do I need to do any machining to the bracket? Also, is the Legend rotor hubcentric to the ITR hub? From my research, the Legend rotor bore is 70.2mm and the ITR rotor bore is 70.1mm, which is only 0.1mm difference. Will the Legend rotor fit properly over the ITR hub?

For the rear, i'd LIKE to use my factory ITR rotors and NSX calipers but apparently that is not possible so I will go with the Fastbrakes NSX bracket to work with the NSX rotor. Again I am confused here because the NSX rotor bore is 64mm and the ITR rotor bore is 64.2mm! So how can the NSX rotor fit over the rear ITR hub? Anybody know the diameter of the rear ITR hub?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by CroSi; 07-30-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on ITR

Should answer questions you have.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspen...stion-2877202/
Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stdefhatch
Actually doesn't answer any of my questions...
That thread is useful though, thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I did what you are talking about on a 94 Accord. The NSX rear brakes are very different and I was unable to use them I went with the Fastbrake rear kit and Acura TL pre 99 rear caliper (same as Accord Wagon). Fronts were NSX calipers and Odyssey knuckles.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

The NSX rear brakes are awfully large for you Integra... the bias will be far too much toward the rear axle. Us the Fastbrakes bracket to upgrade your rears to an 11" rotor and be done with it.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
The NSX rear brakes are awfully large for you Integra... the bias will be far too much toward the rear axle. Us the Fastbrakes bracket to upgrade your rears to an 11" rotor and be done with it.
I have read mixed experiences with this.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure. Opinions and buttholes and all that.

Here's the facts:
- The stock rears don't do much, and even then a lot of people try running the least effective pad they can find to decrease braking force on that axle.
- Your car is probably lowered, so it could use a little more rear bias than it came with due to a reduction in dynamic weight transfer at threshold.
- You're not increasing brake torque by much in the front with the NSX calipers/rotors over the stock ITR brakes... just adding heat capactiy with the 28mm thick rotors (which is a good thing!) and some more front bias with increased piston area
- The NSX is a very low-CG (less dynamic weight transfer again) mid engined car with a weight distribution that is biased nearly as much to the rear as your ITR is biased to the front (40/60 vs 62/38)... that means that significantly more work needs to be done by the rear axle under threshold compared to your Integra.
- The NSX rear calipers and rotors are gigantic compared to even the ITR ones... The rotors end up being almost the same size as the popular Mini rotor and your stock front rotor (282x21 vs ITR's 282x23)
- The NSX rear rotors are thick and vented like your fronts. Aside from being unecessarily heavy, you're going to have a hell of a time getting enough heat in them to do anything worthwhile on an Integra, and that is going to severely limit your pad selection to a few parts-store cheapies that work at room temperature but not much above that.

Here's my opinion (take it or leave it) based anecdotally on the facts above:
- Unless you are going really big in the front (like S2000 or larger), leave the 10.2" stock setup in the rear. At most, I think there are a few options for using the stock caliper and upgrading to an 11" rotor in the rear. That or adding a more aggressive rear pad will likely give you all of the rear bias you will ever need.

If you just want the rears to match the front for aesthetics, well that's that and you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I can't see any other reason to use them on an Integra.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I will add that I have used the Fastbrake kits and have been very pleased with them. I had to do a little machining on the rear but I got exactly what I wanted. The rear brakes work great. So they may not be a bolt-on and may require a little extra work. I used the kit with 313mm rotors from the Honda Pilot. The fronts are 300mm and I intended to go to 320 or 324mm but the setup I have works so well that I haven't done any more with it.

By the way, the combined area of the two front pistons on the 91-96 NSX calipers comes to slightly less than the area of the single piston of the Accord caliper, but not enough to tell any difference. So it is really a trade off. The two pistons probably distribute the pressure a little more evenly. And they look great.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thanks for info! I'm still gonna try it. If I don't like it i'll switch it up.

Sure. Opinions and buttholes and all that.

Here's the facts:
- The stock rears don't do much, and even then a lot of people try running the least effective pad they can find to decrease braking force on that axle.
- Your car is probably lowered, so it could use a little more rear bias than it came with due to a reduction in dynamic weight transfer at threshold.
- You're not increasing brake torque by much in the front with the NSX calipers/rotors over the stock ITR brakes... just adding heat capactiy with the 28mm thick rotors (which is a good thing!) and some more front bias with increased piston area
- The NSX is a very low-CG (less dynamic weight transfer again) mid engined car with a weight distribution that is biased nearly as much to the rear as your ITR is biased to the front (40/60 vs 62/38)... that means that significantly more work needs to be done by the rear axle under threshold compared to your Integra.
- The NSX rear calipers and rotors are gigantic compared to even the ITR ones... The rotors end up being almost the same size as the popular Mini rotor and your stock front rotor (282x21 vs ITR's 282x23)
- The NSX rear rotors are thick and vented like your fronts. Aside from being unecessarily heavy, you're going to have a hell of a time getting enough heat in them to do anything worthwhile on an Integra, and that is going to severely limit your pad selection to a few parts-store cheapies that work at room temperature but not much above that.

Here's my opinion (take it or leave it) based anecdotally on the facts above:
- Unless you are going really big in the front (like S2000 or larger), leave the 10.2" stock setup in the rear. At most, I think there are a few options for using the stock caliper and upgrading to an 11" rotor in the rear. That or adding a more aggressive rear pad will likely give you all of the rear bias you will ever need.

If you just want the rears to match the front for aesthetics, well that's that and you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I can't see any other reason to use them on an Integra.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured. Your mind was made up already when you made this thread. Let us know how it comes out.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured. Your mind was made up already when you made this thread. Let us know how it comes out.
Will do. I'm thinking of proportioning valves
now. I will try my stock 91 Si valve, but was looking at the Wilwood adjustable valve. Just don't know how i'd plumb that in as the car runs diagonal circuits...
Old 08-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're already looking at replumbing to use an aftermarket prop valve, it's no big thin at that point to convert it to a F/R split. You would just run one outlet of the master to a tee then onto the front axle, the other outlet goes into the cabin to your prop valve and then off to another tee to the rear axle.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're already looking at replumbing to use an aftermarket prop valve, it's no big thin at that point to convert it to a F/R split. You would just run one outlet of the master to a tee then onto the front axle, the other outlet goes into the cabin to your prop valve and then off to another tee to the rear axle.
Cool, thanks