Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Noise from front right

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from front right

I keep getting an intermittent seeking / whooshing sound that is not constant but circular in motion from my front right tire area. I changed the pads and it still occurs sometimes but not all the time. I do not have a bent brake dust shield. The sound is not a whirring sound like a bad bearing. I jacked up the front and the tire doesn't wobble like a bad bearing. Is it a bad brake rotor? Why is this sound not constant? It is there sometimes and not others. Sometimes it is squeekier than others and it sounds like squeek squeek squeek sound and pattern. Sometimes it sounds like whoosh whoosh whoosh sound and pattern. Sometimes it is quiet and normal.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noise from front right

I guess no one knows. I will just drive it till the wheel falls off.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you machine your rotors when you replaced the pads? If not I'm willing to bet there's a little bit of rust on the outside edges of your rotor, this can cause random brake noises.

Did you clean and lubricate the pad slides? This can make your pads stick in the slides and cause random brake noises.

Have you tried doing a few 60 to 20 hard stops? Sometimes this is enough to get rid of those random squeaks.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not machine the rotors. I did however lubricate the slides in the caliper and install shims with synthetic brake grease on the back if my pads. The sound was around before my pads were installed. I also wore in the pads correctly doing the speeding up and slowing down like you recommended as I always do. I think that my rotor might be slightly warped I just wanted another opinion. Do you think I might have a bad input shaft? The sound is only happening going down the road and corresponds with road speed and not transmission speed.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a warped rotor.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JShockleyDesign
Sounds like a warped rotor.
Which are practically, if not entirely, non-existent with modern materials.

I'll defer to the experts to explain.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

dr.vroom, did you properly bed your new pads after install? Are the squealers properly adjusted?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Without being able to see or hear the car I'm going to bet its something to do with not resurfacing the rotor. Could be a bit if rust on the edge or the surface of the rotor isn't smooth / flat enough
Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem solved! I put new tires on the original 6 spoke integra wheels and it is quiet as ever and drives like new. I replaced the brake disks in the front in the process of trying to eliminate the noise with raybestos advance technology brake rotors. The other rotors were original and lasted 221000 miles and had a minor lip around the edge. Next I will be replacing my leaking steering rack, outer tie rods, and will be replacing my trans with a synchrotech rebuild. The car is old and not worth it but it has been good to me for a decade, so in excange for a new car payment I will shuck out a little over a grand and it will be near perfect.