Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   New Wheel Bearing Play itr 5 lug (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/new-wheel-bearing-play-itr-5-lug-3291116/)

mayfly 01-09-2017 06:27 PM

New Wheel Bearing Play itr 5 lug

Hey HT

Vehicle: 92 eg civic itr 5 lug conversion.

So the quick story i replaced the front wheel bearings, and upon inspection i noticed that the two front wheel hubs were bad. i ordered brand new oem wheel hubs and 2 new national bearings from advance auto. pressed on the wheel bearings and the hub and i noticed i still have a little play as it sits in the knuckle. i have yet to install the knuckle assembly onto the vehicle yet due to the play. is this normal? will the play go away once i tighten the axle nut after full assembly? thanks in advance

Tyson 01-09-2017 06:37 PM

Re: New Wheel Bearing Play itr 5 lug

Yes.

mayfly 01-09-2017 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tyson (Post 51163171)
Yes.

thank you very much!!! i was just worried it might some how be the knuckle its self

Tyson 01-10-2017 01:04 PM

if you have the axle available, you can just tighten it to check.

the two inner races of the bearing are captured by the axle. otherwise it can come loose.

mayfly 01-10-2017 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tyson (Post 51164267)
if you have the axle available, you can just tighten it to check.

the two inner races of the bearing are captured by the axle. otherwise it can come loose.

i haven't gotten around to check due to work. were working some long long hours(16 hour days) will be able to check on sunday when i get time off. ill update you. thanks

mayfly 01-10-2017 05:30 PM

well i crawled out of bed and grabbed an old hasport axle i had lying around. tighter it up and sure enough it worked great(knuckle still removed from civic). it seems like it will work. I'm going to re-install it tomorrow or maybe sunday and ill give you all a final updated and post test drive. thanks again

mayfly 01-21-2017 06:37 AM

just to give an update. upon further inspection i noticed that my upper ball joints had some play in them. so i got really mad and did what any pi$$ed off @sshole would do and ordered new ball joints top bottom, rear wheel bearings, every bushing i could orderer the entire vehicle, inner/outer tie rods, so after thats done ill give a final update. thanks again

Tyson 01-21-2017 12:41 PM

You do realize 1992 was 25 years ago.... If it was the first time replacing any of those parts I'd be surprised.

Angelo Conward 05-12-2019 08:47 AM

What ball joints did you order for the itr 5 lug conversion? Been in a bind on what ball joints to but on mine

Originally Posted by mayfly (Post 51175924)
just to give an update. upon further inspection i noticed that my upper ball joints had some play in them. so i got really mad and did what any pi$$ed off @sshole would do and ordered new ball joints top bottom, rear wheel bearings, every bushing i could orderer the entire vehicle, inner/outer tie rods, so after thats done ill give a final update. thanks again