Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Need some advice on a set up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:08 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a set up.

Well this summer I am going to be making some changes to the Civic. From a 185/65/14 I know that I am mounting probably 17”s on (What would you reccomend for this car 16's or 17's?), and I would like to lower the car a bit. I pretty much have decided on the wheels, but not so much the suspension set-up. Below is a picture of the car. I would like to lower the car around 1.5” using the Eibach Pro-Kit. The shocks I am not sure about yet. I was going to just stay with the stock shocks, but if they do blow it will be a pain. So now I have to decide which aftermarket shocks to go with. The car has and only will be used for daily driving. Will never see the track or a strip. Eibach also makes shocks that they sell with the Pro-Kit springs. I figured for what I use the car for, and the fact they are designed to work with lowered springs they would be good. I don’t really want to spend the money on Koni Yellows, but the other options are either AGXs or Illuminas. I was told the Illuminas are OEM replacements and will probably blow just like stock shocks. Now judging by the picture, and keep in mind 17” wheels, do you think a 1.5” is enough? I DO NOT want the wheels to be tucked at all, the link at the bottom is how pretty close how I want it to look. Now a 1.5” drop does that mean I can literally measure 1.5” down from the fender, and that’s where it will sit? I could use the Eibach Sport-Line, but it might be to much of a drop. The prices for the different options I have been looking at are on the bottom. I dont have to stick with Eibach springs or shocks. I have bene looking into Tien springs, and AGX shocks. I do not need the adjustability of coil-overs as the car wont be so lowered that I cant drive it in the winter. I am not sure what to expect for ride quality, but I cant imagine it will be to horrible, since Eibach is a good name, but the shocks could hamper the ride quality. My budget is around $500, I have $400 saved now which would cover the Eibach springs, but I have a few months to gather up some more money. The wheels/tires are covered already. I have searched but I didn’t find what I wanted to know. I think I have given you enough of a run down, of budget, what the car is used for etc. Any tips, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

Bottom Line: Will the eibach shocks work? Using the pictures of my car do I want 1.5" or 1.8" drop? What kind of ride quality will I get with the different set ups?

Prokit: 1.5" Front, 1.3" Rear $219.00
Sportline 1.8" Front, 1.8" Rear $219.00
Pro-Kit/ Eibach Shocks $469.00
Sportline/Eibach Shocks $480.00
Eibach shocks: $289.00

Wheels I want, http://www.motegiracing.com/ap...=None

Link to a car I like with a 1.5" drop with a different set up, really like the way this car looks. https://honda-tech.com/zero...73527

Modified by turner7205 at 2:08 PM 1/2/2006
Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Need some advice on a set up. (turner7205)

H&R Sports and AGX's....or Koni Yellows...
Old 01-02-2006, 03:32 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some advice on a set up. (ALLSPRINGS.COM)

Well I belive I want to stick with Eibach as I can get them through work. The biggest thing im dealing with is how much of a drop I want. I have seen pictures of the Pro-Kit on Civics and it looks fine, but I cant find any of the Sportline. I have heard you can stick with OEM shocks with the Pro-Kit but not so much with the Sportline. Then again im sure it matters how big of a wheel you get.

By looking at the pictures of my car, would the prokit only take up half of the wheel gap? Or will it sit just above the tire? If someone has seen pictures of any 96-00 Civics w/ Eibach set-ups please give me a link or post them up.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where u work?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some advice on a set up. (isumase)

Sears, with the Sportlines would I need a camber kit? If so front or rear?

looking at the car in this link...https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1107070 I think the sportline looks good. I still dont know if 16" or 17" wheels is the way to go.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, i was just wondering cuase i work there too and just noticed we were carrying eibach now and saw you were lookin at motegi and figured that might be a coincidence.

if it were me, id go with the 16s cause 17s yuoll be sitting quite a bit higher and if yuo go with the springs/16s combo you wont have to worry about it scrapin fender and if it were me, which im actually in the process of doin, id go with ground control sleeves cause yuo get the eibach plus adjustability. orderin those with yellows here soon
Old 01-02-2006, 05:56 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some advice on a set up. (isumase)

I dont need the adjustabilty but I see where you were going with it. We havent sold any Eibach kits yet, I will probably be the first. My freinds say get 17's but that might look to me too "bling bling" Its looks good on other peoples cars but I dont think on mine it would look to hot. I wish I could see cars with these setups so I could make up my mind. I have searched but havent found what im lookin for.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:47 PM

im running AGX's with sportlines on my 97 hatch. about a 2 inch drop or so. half finger gap in the front and a full finger in the rear. awsome ride and drop. ill send pics if yo want.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:58 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some advice on a set up. (greyhatch90)

Please do, what size wheels are you running? You running a camber kit?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey ill try to get a pic of my car tomorrow, its an ej1 with 16's and about a 2 inch drop on skunk2 sleeves so yuo can get an idea of what 16s look like, i love em and i can drop it as low as i want
Old 01-04-2006, 05:12 AM

SI rims no camber kit. got an alignment