Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

KW Variants and Ground Control question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW Variants and Ground Control question???

Hi, I am new to this forum, but having been reading for some time. I know many forum members perfer and recommend GC coilovers, however, I've been wondering does anyone have experience with KW Variants?? I've always heard good stuff about them and wonder how they compare.

Anyways, I have a stock 01 GSR and about to buy/install coilovers on it. I am looking for "mainly," street use only, probably never going to track it, but if I decide to, I also want to know I can. Comfort is the most important factor.

GC and KW's are the main ones I am looking at, so I want to know the opinions of others and any suggestions would greatly be appreciated particularly the KW's since I haven't ran into anyone that runs this set up.

Ryan
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Re: KW Variants and Ground Control question??? (RyanDC2)

Any input on KW variants would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking for "mainly," street use only, probably never going to track it, but if I decide to, I also want to know I can. Comfort is the most important factor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you mean that, then you don't want an adjustable spring (a more appropriate term for GC coils), as the rates they come with are high enough to allow severe lowering (and kill comfort). You'd be best served by a decent shock and a nice lowering spring.

Eibach sportlines (or pro-kits) would be my recommendation. Shock rec would be Illuminas, or Koni Sports (Yellows) depending on budget and if you want rebound only adjustment (Koni), or bump and rebound together (Illumina) and personal preference.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: KW Variants and Ground Control question??? (TunerN00b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TunerN00b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'd be best served by a decent shock and a nice lowering spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll second this suggestion. If ride comfort is your foremost concern, coilovers are not what you should be looking at.

My recommendation would depend on the budget we're working with here. I'm partial to Bilstein HD & Sport, Koni 8041-Sport, and Tokico Illumina dampers as inexpensive and readily available off-the-shelf options for a sporty street car.

I've had some very limited time on KW coilovers, but I would like to see some more dyno charts and get more firsthand experience before passing judgement. I certainly like their choice of stainless steel for the bodies.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Re: KW Variants and Ground Control question??? (TunerN00b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TunerN00b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you mean that, then you don't want an adjustable spring (a more appropriate term for GC coils), as the rates they come with are high enough to allow severe lowering (and kill comfort). You'd be best served by a decent shock and a nice lowering spring.

Eibach sportlines (or pro-kits) would be my recommendation. Shock rec would be Illuminas, or Koni Sports (Yellows) depending on budget and if you want rebound only adjustment (Koni), or bump and rebound together (Illumina) and personal preference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really, I've always heard that the GC were pretty good on the street from a lot of reading. I know I said comfort is the most important, but I don't expect the car to ride like a lexus, but at the same time I don't want to "feel," every bump or uneven road I go over. Just something that is "very streetable," yet still pretty comfortable. I don't want anything that is bone jarring, or feels like I've been punched in the kidneys. Hope I am not being to confusing, just to make it clear.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Default Re: KW Variants and Ground Control question??? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'll second this suggestion. If ride comfort is your foremost concern, coilovers are not what you should be looking at.

My recommendation would depend on the budget we're working with here. I'm partial to Bilstein HD & Sport, Koni 8041-Sport, and Tokico Illumina dampers as inexpensive and readily available off-the-shelf options for a sporty street car.

I've had some very limited time on KW coilovers, but I would like to see some more dyno charts and get more firsthand experience before passing judgement. I certainly like their choice of stainless steel for the bodies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't mind, what did you think of them??

I come from mostly German cars, BMW's, and Porsches in general. That is why I am partial to KW's, but don't know how they are in japanese imports particularly integras.

So far, thanks guys for the suggestions I am kind of a newbie when it comes to japanese imports and suspension tuning, lol!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:19 PM

Anyone with experience with GC coilovers??
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you don't mind, what did you think of them??</TD></TR></TABLE>
I thought they were okay, but it has been so long ago that I don't really recall any details or useful observations. Back in those days I didn't know nearly as much about suspension theory and vehicle dynamics as I do now, so I take even my own opinion with a grain of salt. I'd love to get my hands on a KW-equipped car nowadays for testing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone with experience with GC coilovers??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Countless members on this site (including myself) have previously or are currently using Ground Control coilovers. The coilovers themselves (which consist only of threaded sleeves, spring perches, and Eibach ERS 2.5"-ID springs) use parts of known good quality. The wide range of custom spring rates and lengths offered by Ground Control is a major advantage over other brands of coilover sleeves.

While the coilovers are important, the dampers they are used with are just as, if not more important to the handling and ride quality of the vehicle.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had kw v1's on my rsxs and i loved them handled awsome and rode great. couldn't have asked for more.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 PM

Default Re: KW Variants and Ground Control question??? (danthemang3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danthemang3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had kw v1's on my rsxs and i loved them handled awsome and rode great. couldn't have asked for more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, do you remember the spring rates for those?? How do you think it compares to other coilovers??

Keep in mind I don't have experience with KW's on japanese imports. On german cars such as Porsche, and M3's I highly recommend them.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I thought they were okay, but it has been so long ago that I don't really recall any details or useful observations. Back in those days I didn't know nearly as much about suspension theory and vehicle dynamics as I do now, so I take even my own opinion with a grain of salt. I'd love to get my hands on a KW-equipped car nowadays for testing.

Countless members on this site (including myself) have previously or are currently using Ground Control coilovers. The coilovers themselves (which consist only of threaded sleeves, spring perches, and Eibach ERS 2.5"-ID springs) use parts of known good quality. The wide range of custom spring rates and lengths offered by Ground Control is a major advantage over other brands of coilover sleeves.

While the coilovers are important, the dampers they are used with are just as, if not more important to the handling and ride quality of the vehicle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would like some more info regarding the KW's since I don't think it's very popular among the JDM crowd as compared to DTM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KW Variants and Ground Control question??? (danthemang3)

Originally Posted by danthemang3
i had kw v1's on my rsxs and i loved them handled awsome and rode great. couldn't have asked for more.
same. only downfall is the price. but u pay for what u get.

stainless body ftw.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think Curpier Motorsports had V3's on the Civic, but that was like 2 years ago when I last saw it.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a brand new set of v3's for an eg but where I live they will not see the outside till next year

I would love to donate them to be dyno'd *hint hint* at the same time knowing this would not be likely b/c of the cost to do so
Old 11-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

KW makes a good product, the dampers are pretty impressive. I myself went with Koni and GC, and while the ride is quite noticeably stiffer than anything KW will give you right out of the box, it's tolerable.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: KW Variants and Ground Control question??? (6SPD_EK)

Originally Posted by 6SPD_EK
I have a brand new set of v3's for an eg but where I live they will not see the outside till next year

I would love to donate them to be dyno'd *hint hint* at the same time knowing this would not be likely b/c of the cost to do so
Doesn't a dyno run cost $20 or so?