Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed?

I see that alot of people like that setup and its good for track and stuff, but cant find info on people with that setup that are slammed. Do the top hats really helpout if your slammed? is it bumpy? im thinking of getting full coilovers but im still undecided cuz i heard alot of good things about koni/gc. need some info! application is going to be for a dc4.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed? (Ludey849)

On a Civic or Integra, they will function well up to -3". I would personally consider that quite "slammed", but it kinda depends on tire size also. I run a smaller diameter 205/40/16 on my 94 Civic and I have maybe 1 finger gap which roughly equals -2.5". I had it at a zero finger gap (-3"), but I was scraping everything.

If you have larger diameter Integra sized tires like 205/50/15 or 205/45/16, then a -2.5" drop should give you that zero finger gap "slammed" look. That is what most people would consider "slammed" anywys. If that's not "slammed" enough, then -3" should be doable unless of course your tires rub. But that all depends upon your tire size, sidewall-shape and rim-offset (which I can't really comment on).

Anything lower and the car won't be good for much but looking at and will probably scrape on everything.

PS: Don't forget to reset your suspension bushings and get an alignment to fix toe once your done. You won't need to worry about camber on this car...
Old 08-05-2007, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed? (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a Civic or Integra, they will function well up to -3". I would personally consider that quite "slammed", but it kinda depends on tire size also. I run a smaller diameter 205/40/16 on my 94 Civic and I have maybe 1 finger gap which roughly equals -2.5". I had it at a zero finger gap (-3"), but I was scraping everything.

If you have larger diameter Integra sized tires like 205/50/15 or 205/45/16, then a -2.5" drop should give you that zero finger gap "slammed" look. That is what most people would consider "slammed" anywys. If that's not "slammed" enough, then -3" should be doable unless of course your tires rub. But that all depends upon your tire size, sidewall-shape and rim-offset (which I can't really comment on).

Anything lower and the car won't be good for much but looking at and will probably scrape on everything.

PS: Don't forget to reset your suspension bushings and get an alignment to fix toe once your done. You won't need to worry about camber on this car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

please explain bold area
Old 08-06-2007, 08:23 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed? (wildcat98)

<u>Resetting your suspension bushings:</u>

1- Put entire car up on jack-stands
2- Place jack under nearest LCA
3- Jack up LCA until car lifts off nearest jack-stand
4- Loosen all control arm bolts that go through the center of a bushing (relieves twist)
5- Re-tighten all bolts and torque to spec (locks bushings at new ride height)
6- Lower the jack and move to next corner of car to repeat steps 1-5

This is important because as you change ride height, the rubber bushings begin to twist. And if your bushings remain twisted all the time, then they will wear out much sooner than normal. The point of this procedure is to reset the bushings to the new ride height and allow the bushings to live a long life.

On Civics & Integras, this procedure works for every suspension bushing except the rear trailing arm bushings, and the rear inner UCA bushings. This is because they don't have a bolt traveling through the center, but instead use a fixed rod that then bolts to the chassis. In order to reset these types of bushings, they would need to be removed, clocked & reinstalled at the proper angle. This isn't typically practical for most people, so it's common to just leave them as is. Then, once it's time to replace them, have new ones installed at the proper angle of rotation to ensure they will live normal lives...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed? (94eg!)

Torque to spec.... where can i find the proper spec?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:21 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed? (Ludey849)

Air bags or cylinders are a much better solution for "being slammed."

Using conventional coilovers for such a purpose is like trying to hammer a nail with a wrench - it might work (albeit awkwardly) if you're cheap and lazy, but there is a better solution available.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed? (Targa250R)

Ground Control Upper Mounts are good for your setup wether your slammed or not. All they do is give your dampers another inch of travel. keep in mind that if you want Ground Control top hats(upper mounts), they only fit in conjunction with the Ground Control Coilovers. Also if you go with the konis on your dc, you can drop it 3 and a half inches. Thats pretty "slammed".
Old 12-23-2007, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LCA bushing reset, inside honda manual

Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Koni/GC/top hats good setup for being slammed? (GroundControlTrevor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GroundControlTrevor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keep in mind that if you want Ground Control top hats(upper mounts), they only fit in conjunction with the Ground Control Coilovers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not necessary true, someone on here uses the ground control tophat on some tein.