Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Koni red's with H&r race??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni red's with H&r race??

Hi guys, i'm Massimo from Italy, i'm interesting to purchase a kit of H&R race springs (88.51863) for my Sol's, the question is.. they are fitting with my koni red's shocks? anybody have same setup? any issues for the shocks?

Thanks alot to all!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Koni red's with H&r race??

They're ridiculously low, in most cases.

Are Koni reds shortened? If they are the same length as stock...then...HELL no, the H&R race won't work.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Low is low, but i'm interested to higher springs rate for more handling then my actual h&r sport springs, anyway one guy of this community "Alex_f15" selling the same shocks/springs setup, he said there are in good condition.

I'm not sure the red's are shortened.. but they are aftermarket performance shocks like the yellow, i've read in this community about a guy, he runs with h&r race with stock shocks!
Old 09-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/sale-1...civic-3305489/
Old 09-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

The Koni "reds" are not intended for extremely low setups (H&R race springs are very low). They are also not valved for a spring that stiff. Even Koni Sport (yellows) have a tough time with these springs. I've been there and done that. I'd look elsewhere if I was you... both on the springs and the dampers.

Also, whoever is running those springs on stock dampers is having a bad time, period. If they say it's fine then they probably just don't know what fine is.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
The Koni "reds" are not intended for extremely low setups (H&R race springs are very low). They are also not valved for a spring that stiff. Even Koni Sport (yellows) have a tough time with these springs. I've been there and done that. I'd look elsewhere if I was you... both on the springs and the dampers.

Also, whoever is running those springs on stock dampers is having a bad time, period. If they say it's fine then they probably just don't know what fine is.
I've contact a guy he have the same shocks/springs setup on a civic ek, he told me they works. So i would try this setup.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 AM

Your logic is impeccable.

Unfortunately, its easier for people to describe having "ZERO problems".
Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

I guess, to be fair to the OP, he never asked whether or not the combo will be ****... only if the springs will fit the dampers.

Yes, the springs will fit either of the shocks you referenced. The Konis will be a pretty poor match. The stock shocks will be downright awful.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 AM
I like the tuna here

I thought the Koni Red shocks were valved for stiffer springs than the Yellows?
Old 09-12-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
I thought the Koni Red shocks were valved for stiffer springs than the Yellows?

I think a more important question is if the reds are shortened.

The rate on the H&R Race is the same as a wet noodle. Like 300something LB? IIRC.

They basically just use the bumpstop as springs.

So if the reds are stock length: you're running on the bumpstop virtually 100% of the time.

If they're shortened: The springs are soft AF. If you take away the additional rate added by the bumpstop, you're left with springs that are too soft to control the suspension...and UCAs that will potentially hit the tower.

To run as low as these springs do...the rates would need to be like 600-700LB. And bumpstop length would need to be adjusted to limit movement when its necessary.

The complete answer to OP's question is that they will physically fit. But not well. And the whole setup is probably not recommended.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 AM

I guess, to be fair to the OP, he never asked whether or not the combo will be ****... only if the springs will fit the dampers.

Yes, the springs will fit either of the shocks you referenced. The Konis will be a pretty poor match. The stock shocks will be downright awful.
...he was asking if there would be issues for the shocks.

Originally Posted by Blackcrx88
Hi guys, i'm Massimo from Italy, i'm interesting to purchase a kit of H&R race springs (88.51863) for my Sol's, the question is.. they are fitting with my koni red's shocks? anybody have same setup? any issues for the shocks?

Thanks alot to all!
Old 09-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
I think a more important question is if the reds are shortened.

The rate on the H&R Race is the same as a wet noodle. Like 300something LB? IIRC.

They basically just use the bumpstop as springs.

So if the reds are stock length: you're running on the bumpstop virtually 100% of the time.

If they're shortened: The springs are soft AF. If you take away the additional rate added by the bumpstop, you're left with springs that are too soft to control the suspension...and UCAs that will potentially hit the tower.

To run as low as these springs do...the rates would need to be like 600-700LB. And bumpstop length would need to be adjusted to limit movement when its necessary.

The complete answer to OP's question is that they will physically fit. But not well. And the whole setup is probably not recommended.
If what you say is true, at the H&R they have no idea about springs working..

I know the H&R have a great reputation in quality and handing suspensions products.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...-rates-440498/

This is thread i found about rate of race's springs
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcrx88
If what you say is true, at the H&R they have no idea about springs working..

I know the H&R have a great reputation in quality and handing suspensions products.
lol.

The thread you posted has several different opinions on the spring rate of H&R races. And people are complaining about their cars being bouncy.

Measure the available shock travel for yourself.

I believe H&R's instructions are to use the entire bumpstop length (no cutting). Meaning they know that the car will ride on the stop. BUT....the UCA won't hit the shock tower. And the bumpstop adds additonal rate.

Its on purpose. So they know what they're doing.

Its dumb, however.

They do this to make concessions for people who think that a 2.x" drop means RACE CAR. So they put RACE on the spring. It sells. And when the car rides badly...they fall back on the RACE branding.

Also...they don't recommend a shock to use with the RACE springs, do they?

Eibach does the same thing with their Sportlines. But I believe they do make it noted that the ride quality and handling are not optimal.

Also, for what its worth...Koni recommends a 1.38" MAX drop using the yellows. This is because you quickly run out of travel. Duno about the reds. "Are they shortened" was my 1st question.

I know that Honda uses the bumpstop for additional rate on ITR and similar setups. But there's some travel before engagement. The bumpstop is progressive. If you're pancaking it using springs that are too low.... you're sitting on a VERY stiff spring system at static height (spring + smashed bumpstop).

So...as other users have indicated, you'll need a shock that's got a ridiculous amount of rebound damping.

You asked the question, bud. Everyone in this thread has responded similarly.

BUT....try them. All that matters is that you like them. Hope they work for you.

Last edited by B serious; 09-12-2017 at 10:11 AM.