Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

ITR Rear Calipers on DC2 with Front ITR Calipers/Mini Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR Rear Calipers on DC2 with Front ITR Calipers/Mini Rotors

Is it worth swapping the ITR rear calipers onto a Integra with front Type R calipers/Mini 280mm Rotors and stock rear Integra calipers/rotors?

I just found that a rear caliper piston is leaking brake fluid, and I noticed that Type R rear calipers are a extra $100 or so total (from looking up replacement rear calipers on AdvanceAuto for a 2001 Integra Type R). Is it worth going to the Type R rear caliper setup? Could I theoretically just bolt it on no problems (unlike the EP3/RSX stuff which requires new banjo bolts and swapping from Left to Right)? I know you have to use '02-'03 4x100 EP3 rear rotors. Could I keep my old set of standard Integra SS rear brake lines?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2014, 02:38 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: ITR Rear Calipers on DC2 with Front ITR Calipers/Mini Rotors

Define "worth it". What criteria makes it worth it to you?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Define "worth it". What criteria makes it worth it to you?
Shorter stopping distances/more consistent brakes with less fade from improving brake bias and having the front brakes do a little bit "less work" for lack of a better term.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The larger pad, larger rotor, and larger piston make it obvious that it would be better. You won't see a huge increase in braking power, but the car will not pitch as much (brake dive) when you lay into it. Yes you can keep your same brake lines with the swap.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
The larger pad, larger rotor, and larger piston make it obvious that it would be better. You won't see a huge increase in braking power, but the car will not pitch as much (brake dive) when you lay into it. Yes you can keep your same brake lines with the swap.
Ah okay. Do you know if it should be a bolt-in swap with the '02-'03 EP3 rotors? Or should I expect to trim dust-shields in the rear or have to swap left -> right? What about E-Brake Cables?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you use ITR calipers it will bolt up fine and e-brake cables will stay the same. If you use EP3 calipers it will bolt right up but you must swap the calipers right on left and left on right so you can maintain the e-brake. This means you must bleed the brakes with those calipers off the car so the bleeders point up. The EP3 4 lug rotors also go on just fine. Or you can re-drill ITR rotors to 4x100.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never mind, they're on national backorder. Tried AdvanceAuto, Autozone, NAPA, AutoBarn, Amazon.com, PartsGeek, even RockAuto.

Guess I'm just going to run a more aggressive rear brake pad if I don't like the brake dive from having Type R fronts and stock Integra rears.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered mine directly from Honda Japan. That was the only place I could find them as stateside they were back ordered or not available. Took probably 2 months on the slow boat to get here lol
Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're not concerned about the front/rear bias ? Stepping up the braking power in the rear will make trail braking a bit ridiculous.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by X2BOARD
You're not concerned about the front/rear bias ? Stepping up the braking power in the rear will make trail braking a bit ridiculous.
He already has an ITR front setup. IMO you are just completing it to be where Honda engineers designed it to be. I'm going to work on an even bigger rear setup in the next couple years.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
He already has an ITR front setup. IMO you are just completing it to be where Honda engineers designed it to be. I'm going to work on an even bigger rear setup in the next couple years.

He's right. I lock up the inside rear on almost every corner with stock gsr rear brakes and street pads.

A lot of people at the track have this problem. Some go as far as cutting grooves in their rear pads so they have less bite. The problem with this is you're dragging that tire around a turn, which could lead to a flat spot. In fact, if you have abs, it will make things even harder. Granted, you'll have to be at a certain pace around the track for the problem to become evident, but if it's just a street car, there shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by donut.; 06-19-2014 at 07:10 AM.