Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

How to raise my car 1/2 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (Tire Rub)

Having problems with rear tires rubbing and I've cut and rolled the rear fenders as much as I can.

Are there aftermarket spacers for the springs? (Its a 96 Civic EX). I have Iboch Sportline springs that drop a fixed 1.8 inches with KYB AGX shocks. Figure if I can bring it back up 1/2 inch that would solve my problems but how can I do it? Obviously, WITHOUT buying new springs or shocks, etc....dont want to have to throw another $300 at this car right now!

Seems like I should be able to make some kind of spacer easy enough for the bottom of the springs? THing is, 4 years ago when I put all this on I didnt have any problems, now I do. Seems like my springs have sagged a bit, if thats the case Iboch will replace them under warranty, but the 1/2 inch raise would still fix the problem.

Also, the driver side rear sits 1/2 lower than the passenger rear? Dont know whats up with that, maybe its due to my fat ***!
Old 01-30-2005, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (greyzone)

Are your tires different? Have you changed to different wheels? In the last 4 years probably. It is not very likely that the springs have sagged. Are you sure there is not something else wrong with the car? Sway bar mounts?

I would suggest looking at wheels with a different offset or a narrower tire.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (00R101)

Tires are 205/45/16....next tires will be 205/40/16s...but nothing has changed on this setup for 5 yrs and 60,000 miles, except time and milage, of course...same rims, same size tires Ive been running.

An easy fix is to bring it up 1/2 inch, but Im not sure how complicated that would be....if someone made spacers it would be no problem...but....
Old 01-30-2005, 09:17 PM

sportlines do have a tendencey to sag over the course of 3-4years.
as for the spacer thing all you would have to do..............go to hardware store and find a washer that the inside diameter is larger than the bolts on the top of the strut. basically just place some washers between the top of the strut and the body.,
Old 01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (boostedlude97)

damn dude if its that easy Im gonna be hella happy....im pretty much a novice at suspension stuff. But a 1/2 inch of washers? seems like a lot.

Im wondering why my driver side rear is 1/2 inch lower than the passenger rear/ The fronts are the same.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:32 PM

any subs or anything in the trunk by any chance?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 AM

[QUOTE=boostedlude97]sportlines do have a tendencey to sag over the course of 3-4years.
as for the spacer thing all you would have to do..............go to hardware store and find a washer that the inside diameter is larger than the bolts on the top of the strut. basically just place some washers between the top of the strut and the body., [/QUOTE

if they sag, and eibach says they wont.. cant you call them and give them a measurement or something from the center hub to your fender and say "ok, yeah, these are sagging, let me send you out a new set.."
Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 AM

it could be your shocks are worn. if you haven't ever replaced them meaning not changing from stock from the time you dropped the car until now, than they could be shot and that would be the sagging. same thing happened to my integra with the sportlines after only having them a couple of months.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:57 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedlude97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sportlines do have a tendencey to sag over the course of 3-4years.
as for the spacer thing all you would have to do..............go to hardware store and find a washer that the inside diameter is larger than the bolts on the top of the strut. basically just place some washers between the top of the strut and the body., </TD></TR></TABLE>

UGH, there right ways to do things, and there are wrong ways...this is not the right way by any means.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (El Pollo Diablo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El Pollo Diablo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

UGH, there right ways to do things, and there are wrong ways...this is not the right way by any means. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, thats what Im thinking too....

I have KYB AGX shocks, and even if they are going bad they shouldnt really affect ride height, thats pretty much a spring issue.

Eiboch has asked me for my measurements so I need to call them in. They are

FL 12.25"
FR 12.25"
RL 11.5"
RR 12.0"

why the drivers side is 1/2 lower I havent a clue, except maybe due to my fat ***?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Trial User

It's Eibach.

So far you spelled it 2 ways, wrong on both counts
Old 02-01-2005, 04:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greyzone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, thats what Im thinking too....

I have KYB AGX shocks, and even if they are going bad they shouldnt really affect ride height, thats pretty much a spring issue.

Eiboch has asked me for my measurements so I need to call them in. They are

FL 12.25"
FR 12.25"
RL 11.5"
RR 12.0"

why the drivers side is 1/2 lower I havent a clue, except maybe due to my fat ***?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sagging on the driver side is alwasy going to happen to any car with a suspension. drivers always in the car and passangers come and go. so you're constantly putting weight on your driver side, which will cause that side to settle/sag a tad bit more then the passanger side.

some ways people have fixed this are:

put sandbags or a sandbag in the passanger seat floor, front or rear, and/or in the trunk on the passanger side..

got stiffer rates on the driver side to compensate for the more weight that side has to put up with

and if you have the time, take out the springs and swap driverside with passanger side..

those are the only ways i know of fixing this.. maybe theres others
Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (..::91TEG-G2::..)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ..::91TEG-G2::.. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sagging on the driver side is alwasy going to happen to any car with a suspension. drivers always in the car and passangers come and go.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

not true

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ..::91TEG-G2::.. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
put sandbags or a sandbag in the passanger seat floor, front or rear, and/or in the trunk on the passanger side..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're kidding, right?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El Pollo Diablo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's Eibach.

So far you spelled it 2 ways, wrong on both counts </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey man, thanks for keeping track...my spelling sucks. I've got some essays I could use help with.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greyzone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I've got some essays I could use help with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear the paperclip is g00t at that
Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems to me the best way to raise it would be to have a custom spacer machined for the top of the strut tower, which would fit between the strut and the body, possibly requiring longer bolts as was suggested earlier in this thread.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El Pollo Diablo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I hear the paperclip is g00t at that </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah, yeah, I could use help keeing things together too.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greyzone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah, yeah, I could use help keeing things together too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He is talking about the little help cartoon in MS Word, just to let ya know.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greyzone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems to me the best way to raise it would be to have a custom spacer machined for the top of the strut tower, which would fit between the strut and the body, possibly requiring longer bolts as was suggested earlier in this thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Longer bolts where? The mounting studs on the shocks are part of the assembly if I remember correctly.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:23 PM

not true
</TD></TR></TABLE>

give me examples then of this not happening..

You're kidding, right?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no.. are you? read around.. you'll find that people have this and have gotten positive responses to it..
Old 02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ..::91TEG-G2::.. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no.. are you? read around.. you'll find that people have this and have gotten positive responses to it.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh read around where? What "positive responses" are you talking about?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhh read around where? What "positive responses" are you talking about? </TD></TR></TABLE>

here on HT... people have asked "sagging suspension" or "sagging springs" lbefore in the integra section.. and these things have been suggested and done with positive feedback from the person that did it
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

THings is tho, I dont want to treat the symptom, I want to fix the problem. If I add a 100 pound sand bag to level the car, the problems not fixed and Ive added another 100 pounds to my car and the problem is still there.

Those arnt the type of fixes I'm looking for but all ideas and comments (or most anyway) are welcome.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

positive handling responce... like adding propper ballast maybe... but i doubt it helped the saggy springs...

EDIT: from running the scales at the track... i can tell you that ALL integras are going to be 100-150lbs light left to right in the rear... i cant remember which side is heavier, i would think the driver side... but its built into the car... H2 HC cars to HPDE stock LS to Rs... the HC boys just start playing with coil overs to attempt to adjust... Preludes are subject to this great weight variance in the rear as well... ef/eg hatches have less of the issue with efs variance being the lease left to right in the rear but crazy f/r variance.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to raise my car 1/2 inch? (MMsportsRexSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MMsportsRexSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">positive handling responce... like adding propper ballast maybe... but i doubt it helped the saggy springs...

EDIT: from running the scales at the track... i can tell you that ALL integras are going to be 100-150lbs light left to right in the rear... i cant remember which side is heavier, i would think the driver side... but its built into the car... H2 HC cars to HPDE stock LS to Rs... the HC boys just start playing with coil overs to attempt to adjust... Preludes are subject to this great weight variance in the rear as well... ef/eg hatches have less of the issue with efs variance being the lease left to right in the rear but crazy f/r variance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats why j00 cornerweigh the car...

and as for adding sandbags to a car....that's just idiotic...utter stupidity

give me examples then of this not happening..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

All my springs are equal length....all 10 of them [well...equal as in even between spring pairs, some pairs are longer than others]