Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   Got rims that dont fit NEED HELP! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/got-rims-dont-fit-need-help-3285750/)

pr_boricua9 09-22-2016 11:05 PM

Got rims that dont fit NEED HELP!

Hey HT, so i bought some rims for my 1997 Civic DX and I was sure they would fit but NOPE they are touching the camber arm and lower control arm. Is there any way to fit the rims im new to the car game so idk if there are any aftermarket parts thatll help the rim fit. Ive tried 1/4 inch spacers but they didnt work. The wheels are 15x9 rims with 39 offset and 225/45/15. Im not worried about the tires rubbing i can do the work to have it not rub but im just wondering if theres anything at all to get the rims to fit.

TheShodan 09-23-2016 03:11 AM

Re: Got rims that dont fit NEED HELP!

No. You gotta sell the wheels. Try not to get so wide next time

pr_boricua9 09-23-2016 05:27 AM

Well i know some people that have the EK style civics that do run 9 inch wide rims i dont know their exact specs tho would i be able to get the same size rims with a smaller offset to fit?

chrysler kid 09-23-2016 09:27 AM

That's a better question for the suspension forum.

At +38 there is no way you can fit a 9 inch rim. You would need a zero offset or possibly +15 at most

pr_boricua9 09-23-2016 10:01 AM

Alright thanks chrysler kid ill probably end up selling or trading the rims and get a set with 0 offset thanks

eghatch9295 09-23-2016 08:10 PM

no zero offset wheels on a civic. ever. i don't know anyone who races these cars using 9 inch wide wheels, either. get the rice outta here.

TheShodan 09-23-2016 08:39 PM

Zero offset will simply make it even worse. Start reading about how offsets work with this. Stop this stance / rice sh!t...

FlewByU352 09-24-2016 07:28 AM

All I know is that every time I see a username or a windshield banner that says "boricua" I know I am going to see some stupid shit. You're an islander doing the mainlander poke. Mexi-poke, GTFO.

Calif_Kid 09-24-2016 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51063477)
Zero offset will simply make it even worse. Start reading about how offsets work with this. Stop this stance / rice sh!t...

Like Chrysler_Kid mentioned, a reduced offset or even a zero offset should help. If I read everything correctly, the wheel is hitting control arms etc.on the inner half of the wheel, so reducing the offset somewhat should help including adding spacers. What I'm saying, is that if you have wheels of the same width, and have one wheel with ET32 and another with ET40, then the wheel with ET32 will have its outer lip further out from the car, while the ET40 wheel will move the wheel inward, like I believe is shown in Wheel Tech Information - Offset . 15x9 is a pretty wide wheel though, and I would think that 15x7 or maybe even 15x8 would be easier to fit, and 15x8 should be plenty wide for a 225/45-15 tire. - Jim

TheShodan 09-24-2016 03:44 PM

Well...Enjoy, is all I can say. :shrug:

Calif_Kid 09-24-2016 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51063966)
Well...Enjoy, is all I can say. :shrug:

Shodan - I'm not saying that running 15x9 rims are a good idea, and I don't know what offset would be needed. To me, it would make a lot more sense to run a less wide rim - probably 15x7. To me, it looks really dumb to see an extremely wide wheel with the tire 'stretched' to fit the rim. - Jim

TheShodan 09-26-2016 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid (Post 51064253)
Shodan - I'm not saying that running 15x9 rims are a good idea, and I don't know what offset would be needed. To me, it would make a lot more sense to run a less wide rim - probably 15x7. To me, it looks really dump to see an extremely wide wheel with the tire 'stretched' to fit the rim. - Jim

Then you use a proper spacer to work with the wheel offset that is just outside of OEM specification of +39 to +43, then use a wider tyre to account for the larger contact patch and fill the wheel well. We do this on European cars all day long.
Looking "dump" or not, (Not sure that that means), but that is how you get a good contact patch without compromising the suspension system.

Calif_Kid 09-26-2016 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51066287)
Then you use a proper spacer to work with the wheel offset that is just outside of OEM specification of +39 to +43, then use a wider tyre to account for the larger contact patch and fill the wheel well. We do this on European cars all day long.
Looking "dump" or not, (Not sure that that means), but that is how you get a good contact patch without compromising the suspension system.

I meant that it looked dumb - not dump... I went ahead and corrected my post. As I mentioned, it looks dumb to me to see extremely wide wheels with fairly narrow tires 'stretched' to fit the rims, plus when they use extreme negative camber to get the car to almost scrape the ground. - Jim

TunerN00b 09-29-2016 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid (Post 51066438)
I meant that it looked dumb - not dump... I went ahead and corrected my post. As I mentioned, it looks dumb to me to see extremely wide wheels with fairly tires 'stretched' to fit the rims, plus when they use extreme negative camber to get the car to almost scrape the ground. - Jim

Don't be hatin'

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...86119005c9.jpg