Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

general suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general suspension questions

Ok, I'm looking into suspension (just starting to do me research, so bear with me) to aide my general understanding. This is what I got so far; tell me if I'm right.

Dampers are called shocks only when they are installed separately from the spring (read: they are not the same unit, aka the shock is not inside the spring. more on that later). This means that if your shock snapped/broke (like mine did. more on that later), the car would still be suspended, since the spring would not be affected. You'd have one hell of a bouncy ride though since nothing would stop the spring oscillating. My right rear damper snapped before - midcorner bumps would send the rear up and to the side... fwd dorifto like whoa. This means I have a spring/shock system, right?

Then you have struts (as opposed to shocks). The difference is that the strut is inside the spring. This means that if the shock snapped/broke, that corner would be on the ground. You're f*cked and can't drive anywhere.

Now coilovers. These use struts, as the spring is "coiled over" the damper. Now this is where I hit a gray area. What's the difference between a regular spring/strut shindig and a coilover setup? I can see three although not all of them might be true. a) Coilovers can be adjusted; b) With coilovers the spring and the strut can't be separated, as opposed to a regular spring/strut setup where the spring and the strut are separate elements thrown together; c) coilovers replace the upper A-arm.

So:
1) Is what I posted above correct?
2) So what's the deal with the coilover question that I posted near the end of my speil?
3) Please post any suspension-related information/articles that you know of. I'd like to know all I can before I start shelling out money. This includes info on control arms, bushings, even roll bars (ok, anti-roll, technically, I know).
4) Whether a strut or a shock, the damper itself is the same thing, right? If you don't take into consideration its location in relation to the spring, that is.
5) If a car has a spring/shock setup, can it be switched to a spring/strut one, and vise versa?

Thanks!

Oh, and yes, I did search and I am actively searching. I've been reading plenty about suspension over the last few days but just want to clarify some points.

Last edited by GetLeVeLed; 05-12-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: general suspension questions

Nope, you're way off, on several things.

Struts are shocks, in that they both damp suspension motion. The difference is only that a strut is also a structural suspension locating device, whereas a shock is not.

If you break a shock/strut, the car would not be suspended if the spring is over the damper. However, with a shock, the wheel would still be held in the correct location as all suspension arms would still be intact.

Either can have the spring around it or not.

And a "coilover" is a coil spring over the shock. Stock, most strut and shock based cars have a "coilover". The term is also frequently abused to only mean a threaded spring perch.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

lol. not worth reading.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyson
lol. not worth reading.
x2
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It wasn't meant as an informative post, its to help me understand suspension. You should follow TunerN00bs's example and actually try to help. Unless all your ~15000 posts are stupid bullshit flaming people, you should actually know a little about this stuff and should be able to help.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

every statement is wrong. its laughable. and really it just seems like youre talking technical semantics.

spring = that springy thing

shock = short for shock absorber

strut = part of a macpherson strut suspension.

macpherson strut suspension = the shock is integrated with the structural support of the suspension. the spring coils around the shock at the top. makes for a compact and robust suspension.

double wishbone = aka short-long arm SLA suspension. shock is not part of the structural support of the suspension. motion is controlled by the upper and lower control arms.

coilover = simply the spring "coils over the shock". misused to mean a fully threaded shock with integrated height adjustment.

divorced spring = not a coilover setup. commonly used in the rear where its more efficient to package the spring from the shock for more passenger room. see rear of VW's.

really man, where the **** did you come up with that crap? search wikipedia instead of just guessing.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, a useful reply. Thanks for that.
I read through the howstuffworks articles and some random forums and whatnot but those were filled with contradicting information.