Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

function form type 2 extended top hats

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: function form type 2 extended top hats

or like how the other guys may have already said; if there is no slack in the spring, there is no need for a tophat.

i cant complain about my function and forms, they're doing a way better job than a stock shock and coilover sleeves will ever do. But function and forms dont go as low as you would wish without messing with the preload and spring postition
Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also did you make sure when you put the top hats on that you preloaded the springs back to the rate set at by f2, because it says right on the shocks do not mess with the factory preload on the springs or you will mess with the shocks function and ride quality, ide say set it to the stock preload then shorten the lower mount and that should help if you havnt already done so
Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hastingsr
also did you make sure when you put the top hats on that you preloaded the springs back to the rate set at by f2, because it says right on the shocks do not mess with the factory preload on the springs or you will mess with the shocks function and ride quality, ide say set it to the stock preload then shorten the lower mount and that should help if you havnt already done so
a buddy of mine has ksports on his EF(i know this is about F&F) an he put extended top hats on them so he wouldnt bottom the shock out
*the car was really really low(rim was at fender almost layed frame)an the ride was **** UNTIL we took off the front sway bar(22mm or 24mm cant remember) so those of you having bounce problems should try it because his car was bouncy a.f thanx to the sway bar

the concept is the same (to extened the shock travel) i dont think it matters if its on a full coilover or shocks/springs of the brand suspension
Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Trial User

hello guys could someone tell me if this works? I have a crv RD1 with the same problem muchi bounces I wanted to know if putting them top hats will fix that problem?

please help me
Old 02-07-2020, 02:23 AM
Trial User

I ran into the same problem with a set of BC Racing Coilovers, with the recommended spring rate they sent with the package I believe it was 8k front and 6k rear. Around town, they felt fine but on the highway at 55+ you noticed this weird bouncing motion almost like being on a boat is the best I can describe it. I took it to my friend's shop and he said I need to run higher spring rates, but It was a daily and the ride was already harsh due to running low pro tires. After much research on forms, I found that the car was rake wrong. My brother had just lowered the tube all the way down causing the front to set higher than the rear. I corrected this and made the car rake towards the front by a few mm. Then I spend many weeks adjusting the damper settings to my liking and always using the same sets of roads to test it. I settle on 8 clicks from soft to hard in the rear and 12 clicks the same direction in front. Now, this does not eliminate all of the bounce but does stop it 95% of the time on the highway. I learned that the bounce is caused by your spring compressing to fast and releasing it with nothing slowing it down. The damper settings should help to reduce the up and down motion you feel after hitting a bump. Or you might have blown seals in your shocks, like how OEM shock tubes go bad you feel a bounce to them.

Hoped I made some sense.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

bouncing around, floating?

that just sounds like the shock sucks and isnt doing its job.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rudy QuiƱonez
hello guys could someone tell me if this works? I have a crv RD1 with the same problem muchi bounces I wanted to know if putting them top hats will fix that problem?

please help me
top hats will not help you. you m.j ight have a blown shock or 4