Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Function & Form Type 1 Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Function & Form Type 1 Coilovers

^Jesus, how much lower do you want your car to be?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ What he said.
And do you really think you can adjust the dampening better than people who design Coilovers/shocks/etc?
I personally don't like these coilovers, and I personally don't see the need for adjustable dampening.
I'm getting Progress for my dd based on that smart guys thread.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah dude how much more lower you wanted to be???? I just got my order
F &F type 1 for my EF ill put it tomorrow and will post a picture soon
Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The height adjustment in the rear was perfect but I couldn't get the front as low as I wanted. But I'm over it now, droving a car that is that low is not fun at all.

And as far as dampening, I think I can do a better job adjusting the dampining for my driving style than FnF can. they may be able to give you a good ride, but when it come time for the track its all about test and tune. And the suspension is the first place to start.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muha22752
The height adjustment in the rear was perfect but I couldn't get the front as low as I wanted. But I'm over it now, droving a car that is that low is not fun at all.

And as far as dampening, I think I can do a better job adjusting the dampining for my driving style than FnF can. they may be able to give you a good ride, but when it come time for the track its all about test and tune. And the suspension is the first place to start.
That is my problem now on my EF looks like F & F designed the coils like that front has the lowest setting but not tacking the wheels vs the rear that has 2" or more to give.....
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muha22752
Most dampers the wrong side of Koni yellows were designed by engineers who couldn't get the damping right in the factory, if you're given **** to work with then you can't really make it much better. Even if you could, do you know how to set up dampers properly? How are you going to compensate for a set of dampers that aren't even matched from the factory, with force curves that go from progressive to digressive and with uneven changes between each click? Even if you somehow manage to sort all that out and make it spot on, what difference do you think those adjustments have made after the dampers have heated up and faded after the first few laps?

This is the sort of ***** you get with budget dampers. Unless you want to go and drop top dollar on some race spec Koni/Penske/Moton etc, adjustable dampers suck *****. My advice is to pay more money for good non adjustable units, have the cash go on the bits that matter and let the engineers do their **** setting up the dampers for your car. If you want to tune the handling use alignments and tyre pressures instead, these are much more intuitive and predictable.

My springs and dampers cost around $1900 new and aren't adjustable in any way. Despite daily driving and autocrossing at the weekends, I can't fault it on the road or the track. It's not low, it's not stiff, but my god it's good at everything!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Komodo
Most dampers the wrong side of Koni yellows were designed by engineers who couldn't get the damping right in the factory, if you're given **** to work with then you can't really make it much better. Even if you could, do you know how to set up dampers properly? How are you going to compensate for a set of dampers that aren't even matched from the factory, with force curves that go from progressive to digressive and with uneven changes between each click? Even if you somehow manage to sort all that out and make it spot on, what difference do you think those adjustments have made after the dampers have heated up and faded after the first few laps?

This is the sort of ***** you get with budget dampers. Unless you want to go and drop top dollar on some race spec Koni/Penske/Moton etc, adjustable dampers suck *****. My advice is to pay more money for good non adjustable units, have the cash go on the bits that matter and let the engineers do their **** setting up the dampers for your car. If you want to tune the handling use alignments and tyre pressures instead, these are much more intuitive and predictable.

My springs and dampers cost around $1900 new and aren't adjustable in any way. Despite daily driving and autocrossing at the weekends, I can't fault it on the road or the track. It's not low, it's not stiff, but my god it's good at everything!
I have to thank you for your input on this subject. I actually sold my FnF's a few months back and will be looking to re-upgrade eventually. I have not done too much reasearch about the topic yet, so who knows what I will end up doing. The autocross season will be starting soon and I want to know how my car will handle w/ just a few mods. After this season I will do some more research and see what I can come up with.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doing a season as is, and really learning the cars characteristics before splashing the cash is certainly the way to go, bravo sir. With a seasons racing under your belt you'll have a much better idea of what aspects you want to improve, and with that you can find out exactly what it is you need to achieve those goals.

Experience plus thorough research will go a long way to getting you the most satisfying upgrade for the least outlay. It is the ubiquitous and ambiguous "What is the best setup" questions that yield the most unsatisfying solutions, as there is simply no correct answer for that!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good coils got them on my em1
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There good , i had mine for like a year now and they still holding down pretty good i have them pretty low on my daily.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a couple of pics.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Komodo
Doing a season as is, and really learning the cars characteristics before splashing the cash is certainly the way to go, bravo sir. With a seasons racing under your belt you'll have a much better idea of what aspects you want to improve, and with that you can find out exactly what it is you need to achieve those goals.

Experience plus thorough research will go a long way to getting you the most satisfying upgrade for the least outlay. It is the ubiquitous and ambiguous "What is the best setup" questions that yield the most unsatisfying solutions, as there is simply no correct answer for that!
It's fun to watch all the Honda guys from last year who tried to race slammed come back this year with raised up cars, wheels that fit, and better tires
Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had it on my 91 Hatch. the rear sits lower than the front
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Trial User

Have them on my dc.
Best ride i've ever had being this low. Highly recommended

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can find them for cheaper (around 550 shipped) and they are just fine. Everyone that hates on them just hates because 1. they are basically just for looks there really isn't a lot of performance behind them. and 2. they have way more expensive suspension setups. or they want to jack off to their koni/gc setup. I have f&f type 2's on my ej1 and I love them. I have had plenty of other types of 1pc coils and these are by far the most height adjustable. I also never track my car so I don't need track coilovers. I just wanted my car to ride well on the streets when it is slammed and have some fun in the corners every once in a while. You will be happy with your purchase.

PM vexmotorsports. they have them for 550 shipped or type 2's or 740 shipped.

heres my suspension. I could go at least 2" lower front and rear. You can basically lay frame if you wanted to lol

Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by akelly17
1. they are basically just for looks there really isn't a lot of performance behind them.
Pay close attention to this statement. It says it all because it contradicts this statement.
Originally Posted by akelly17
and they are just fine.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol
Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They are a great daily driver coilover. If I was going to track my car I would buy something else like progress cs2's or Koni/gc. They are amazing for what they are made for which is a good ride when your car is slammed. Simple as that. If you plan to get serious about competing your car there are much better choices for the money but if you want your car to look cool and ride nice on the street they will work great
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Pay close attention to this statement. It says it all because it contradicts this statement.
Whats the point in getting on this dudes case? He clearly said that they are only for getting low and occasionally going around a corner quickly and not good for track use. Who cares if he slipped on his own words, forums are supposed to be around to share ideas and opinions and help people not call out dudes if they don't type well. I just don't like the fact that you're calling someone contradictory when its not a debate as much as it is a moderated caucus. We all put in our piece and if someone says something wildly false then call it out. I suppose I just think they're are plenty of better comments to have called out and that this dude in particular's post was pretty on point. Damn this is getting long whoops haha.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had mine for a year now and i love it, ride amazing for a street car with the current preset that it was set for, you can ride on your side skirt with these suspension but that mean messing with the preload and height adjustment which is not recommended, and which is why lead to alot of blown shock thus lead to bad reputation, if you just leave it where their at and just mess with the height adjustment they are a decent suspension for what their worth and what they are made for only downfall is that they don't have the brake line bracket.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Trial User

I've had a set of type 1s for going on 3 years now and I've now just started to feel the wear on them but you could say they would have lasted longer if they weren't maxed out all the way down since I've had them but the ride has always been a1 , and for the ek owners if your wondering how low they go if you had cut towers and drop forks with these like me you could literally lay frame☺
Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone needs to lock this thread it's been revived like 4 times