Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Ground controls coilovers HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground controls coilovers HELP?

Ok so I’ve assembled my Koni yellow/Ground controls and I’m ready to install in my eg coupe but want to know am I supposed to spin the collar up to snug up the spring before installing? Especially the rears if you look in the pictures below I show one collar snugged up and one loose and you can see how the rears collar needs to be spun practically to the top to snug up the spring. I’m also not 100% sure on setting the height on these. Any help would be appreciated and if you see anything I miss let me know.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Ground controls coilovers HELP?

how did you order those springs?

the fronts are 313 lb/in and rears are 200 lb-in. the rears are a bit short for being so light.

whats that on the top of each shock, the plastic sleeve. is that new koni adjusters?

you dont need to snug up the spring to the top tho. its ok to leave them loose. really. its ok. the spring will not fall out.

have you actually installed the shocks?

try and set your ride height, then see if theres a change of springs you need.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyson
how did you order those springs?

the fronts are 313 lb/in and rears are 200 lb-in. the rears are a bit short for being so light.

whats that on the top of each shock, the plastic sleeve. is that new koni adjusters?

you dont need to snug up the spring to the top tho. its ok to leave them loose. really. its ok. the spring will not fall out.

have you actually installed the shocks?

try and set your ride height, then see if theres a change of springs you need.
Im still trying to fiqure out this site so I’m not sure if this is how I’m supposed to reply back but anyways.
The springs I ordered were for a oem feel it’s a bone stock eg coupe and I couldn’t stand the crazy stiff coilovers I had before.
And the black plastic pieces on the top of the struts are just the protective plastic piece it came with in the box that I never took off. But like you said about not having to snug up the spring I emailed ground control and they said the same thing but they still didn’t answer my questions like were should I set the collars before installing? All the way down? The middle? Upward until snug? I understand that I’m going to be adjusting them either way so I guess that’s why both of you said they don’t need to be snug. I’m just worried about when I lower the car is everything going to be seated right.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stevecarlo
my questions like were should I set the collars before installing?.

doesnt matter. but i guess starting at the top is easier to move the perch down, than moving the perch up.

when adjusting the perch, i would still jack the car so the weight is off the spring.

the reason why it doesnt matter is that springs come in different lengths, so where the perch starts depends on the length (and other factors). you can do calculations to predict exactly where to start given motion ratios, spring length, spring rate, and desired ride height, but thats pointless. just do it, then adjust. youre worrying about nothing, writing and editing and overthinking things on a forum for no good reason.

I’m just worried about when I lower the car is everything going to be seated right.
you dont have to worry. its obvious if it isnt, and it likely wont.

Last edited by Tyson; 05-06-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont have to worry. its obvious if it isnt, and it likely wont.[/QUOTE]

yo I have a question I installed 3 of my struts yesterday and today when installing the last one on the front passenger side when I was trying to pull the fork off my original strut it caused my lca and uca to sag and I tried jacking the lca up but it’s just drooping down like when you jack the car up the car goes up but the passenger side wheel just sags idk if it matters but I have skunk2 camber kit in the front
Old 05-09-2021, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really don't understand what you're saying.

Can you take a picture?

If anything, you probably didn't assemble the shocks correctly. Did you remember the bump plate? You need to take it out and reassemble the spring to be sure.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So is it all together? How do you like it?
Old 05-22-2021, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey sorry ive been busy but yeah the suspension is together but I ran into some other problems along the way. I never mentioned it but the car isn’t registered and hasn’t been for a couple years so it’s been sitting so I ended up having to do the water pump on it a ball joint and still need to do control arm bushings and get an alignment so I’ve really only drove it around my neighborhood a couple blocks so it’s still kind of hard to really feel the suspension.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No worries. Hope you get the whole car sorted. Feedback on your setup will be helpful for others who read this.

This forum has modern features like @stevecarlo to notify ppl, but no need to get my attention. I check HT often enough, just replying to threads is how it's always been done.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Any updates? Have you ridden around with this new setup?
Old 09-06-2021, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest I still haven’t registered the car but I have driven it around a few times and it’s not a stock car type of feel But I still haven’t played with the damper adjustments so idk what koni sends them pre set at plus I need to replace my front control arm bushings and get an alignment. But as of Now it still kind of rides a little rough like I can feel every bump and Its definitely not like driving like a stock suspension car which is what I told them at ground control I wanted im hoping that after the bushings alignment and playing with the adjustment ***** it will improve
Old 09-06-2021, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds good. Yes please update us
Old 09-07-2021, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a poor ride is not just the shocks. its the whole suspension parts.

check for play in your suspension, balljoints, tie rods, bushings etc. grab every part and shake it. any play is likely a culprit to poor driveability.

but doesnt mean nothings wrong with your springs and shocks, take a look and see if you have the appropriate shock travel and not bottoming out.