Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Another SWAY BAR Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another SWAY BAR Question

I am wondering if anyone has tried to put a CTR 26mm front sway bar on a 96-00 Civic with EX front LCAs using ITR end links?

I have found information supporting the fact that you can use EX front LCAs with an ITR front bar using the ITR end links.

will the ITR L shape end link eliminate needing si/ctr front LCAs and forks to run the 26mm beast bar?

I don't want theories and "it shoulds"

I am looking for the hand full of people that have tried it and had success or failure.

Thank you.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Another SWAY BAR Question

Are you saying this thread isn't what you're kinda looking to do?
http://forums.honda-tekh.com/zerothread?id=3697
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bad link bruv
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh. It is bad. Lemme find it again.
http://forums.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=3697
It's a fake Honda tech website. change the c in tech to a k.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. So from what I got from that is:

The CTR 26mm sway bar fits the same as the 24(5)mm ITR bar on the EX/LX LCAs except the ITR bar goes below the LCA and the CTR bar will mount above the LCA turning the "L" shaped end links upside down.

I'm going to try it. I have money laying around for it. I will try all angles on it and will hopefully make a write up for it.

The main goal is to have the 26mm beast-bar with the ability to still use wide range traction bar set-ups that mount to the 2 piece non si/ctr LCAs.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you want to use such a large sway bar in the front? Bigger is not necessarily better.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because I want neutral steering. I have a 26mm rear and want to lock down a 26mm front and still be able to use traction bars. BOOM!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found a good answer here:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/how-99-si-26mm-sway-bar-ex-lca-2671184/

Just in case anyone was scratching their head on this one.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since I am going to be using the EX front LCAs, I might get a few front bars and start with the EX 22mm bar then GSR/ITR 24mm bar then SI/CTR 26mm just to find the right feel going in and coming out of corners.

Any thoughts on this?

(Again my rear bar is an ASR 26mm with the ASR subframe brace.)

I know that struts and spring rates have a say in this also but for now I am just trying to dial in and connect the suspension response via anti-roll bars.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ephekt
Since I am going to be using the EX front LCAs, I might get a few front bars and start with the EX 22mm bar then GSR/ITR 24mm bar then SI/CTR 26mm just to find the right feel going in and coming out of corners.

Any thoughts on this?

(Again my rear bar is an ASR 26mm with the ASR subframe brace.)

I know that struts and spring rates have a say in this also but for now I am just trying to dial in and connect the suspension response via anti-roll bars.

doesn't quite work that way. you need to incorporate all three. because the sway bar setting you have now might not work with the spring/shock combo you use later.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

GS-R bar is shaped differently and does not fit properly. You have to mount the end links to the bottom of the arms (as you've already figured out) to roll the hump forward and up enough to clear the shift linkage. Even then, the lower middle bends stick out about 1.5-2" lower than the subframe. It's not a safe fit.

With either one you need to use 92-96 prelude endlinks if you are keeping the stock arms. They are the same shape as the GS-R/ITR/Sol vtec but longer and with a slightly larger ball joint at the top end. The others will be too short and the bar will not clear the arms.

Edit: you found the end links part. What I said about the 24mm bar still stands though.

Here's terrible pic that doesn't show how bad the problem is, but gives you an idea of what it is:

The bar would bottom out occasionally just driving normally and wouldn't go over even the mildest of speed bumps.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn. so scratch the gsr bar. I wonder if you can upgrade to a gsr subframe/power rack/ lcas and still have the clearance issue. I fount an ex 22mm bar for $30 and am going to throw that one on. after driving with it and I dont like the results I am probably going to just jump to the ctr/si 26mm and call it good. I have read some results with the 26mm rear and front you get pretty solid steering and can adjust the rest through spring rates and damper control on my TEIN SS. BOOM!

Thanks for the heads up about the GSR bar though!!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Yes you can back-date to the 5th gen subframe. You will also need the rear engine mount t-bracket for whatever engine you are running, but I don't think you need the lca's (double check that to be sure). Swapping racks may require you to replace PS lines and/or the pump depending on the vintage of the rack.

Seems like a lot of work for a sway bar, but at least you'll get a slightly quicker Integra rack out of the deal.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly, i am not going to update the rach or SF. Simple work but completely unnecessary. I am just going to get a set of ex/hx LCAs and a set of Si/CTR LCAs a 22mm EX bar, a 26mm Si/CTR bar and find the best flex for smashing corners flat with limited roll and limited understeer. Flat in, power out. I think I have it set up. If all is a bust I will re-post here. If all works out I will again inform.