Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

DC2 Suspension Upgrades - Need Experienced Opinons

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC2 Suspension Upgrades - Need Experienced Opinons

Hi guys,

Been hanging around HT for well over 10 years, but mostly lurk. Looking to get some opinions for those of you who are experienced with DC2 suspension setups.

Over the years I have invested quite a bit of time and money with all areas of my 95 GSR. I won't bore you with every detail about the car but it's making over 430whp with a GT3071R turbo, Quiafe LSD and 13" Baer brakes on all 4 corners. She's a helluva lot of fun... in a straight line.

Over the years I have made many suspension upgrades, but with the current power level I don't feel I am making the most of the cars capabilities. That's where I am hoping someone here can help.

Here's the suspension setup on the car now...

-Tokico Blue's
-Neuspeed sport springs
-Neuspeed upper front and rear strut bars
-Neuspeed lower rear tie bar
-Neuspeed 19mm rear sway bar
-SPC front forged adjustable upper control arms
-Ingalls rear camber kit
-Energy Suspension master bushing kit
-Energy Suspension trailing arm bushings

...and since I know tires are a major factor, I am running 205/40/17 NT01's.

I want to take my handling to the next level. The car is somewhat neutral right now, but I wouldn't mind introducing a little more over steer. Although I regularly run HPDE's, it would be rare for me to use this car... but it could happen.

Here's what I am thinking... experienced opinions VERY welcome.

-Tein SS Coilovers
OR
-Progress Series I Coilovers
OR
-Koni/GC Coilovers
-ITR 25mm front sway bar (Minimal change I know, but motor is out right now. Easy to drop in)
-ITR 23mm rear sway bar
-ASR rear sub frame brace
-PW JDM 3pt front / 4pt rear braces
-Full Race traction bar (unsure about this one)

Thoughts on the coilovers?
What about the FR traction bars? Bad idea for the twisties?
Anything else I am missing?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DC2 Suspension Upgrades - Need Experienced Opinons

I'm no expert, but I say: Get an ITR rear sway and don't worry about the front sway bar or any of those braces. To prevent subframe tearout get a BSQ kit so you can keep the Neuspeed tie bar and not be one of those goofs who uses two lower rear tie bars. Save the money for your coilovers.

You're going to tune your handling behavior with the spring rates you choose. If you want to have slight oversteer tendencies, ITR rear sway, GSR front sway, and equal spring rates F/R will do that. I would guess that a 350/250 will be equivalent to what you have now. If you want more oversteer maybe 350/350 would be a good place to start, but it will ride a bit rougher than what you're used to. For AutoX add even more rear stiffness.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
I'm no expert, but I say: Get an ITR rear sway and don't worry about the front sway bar or any of those braces. To prevent subframe tearout get a BSQ kit so you can keep the Neuspeed tie bar and not be one of those goofs who uses two lower rear tie bars. Save the money for your coilovers.

You're going to tune your handling behavior with the spring rates you choose. If you want to have slight oversteer tendencies, ITR rear sway, GSR front sway, and equal spring rates F/R will do that. I would guess that a 350/250 will be equivalent to what you have now. If you want more oversteer maybe 350/350 would be a good place to start, but it will ride a bit rougher than what you're used to. For AutoX add even more rear stiffness.
Thanks for the input.

I should probably add a few things here.

-If I purchase the ASR subframe brace, the Neuspeed rear lower tie bar would go away. I'm not one of those "goofs". I am too old for that crap.
-I'm not worried about saving a few bucks. I want it done right. Period.
-The car is one of three "toys" I own. Which means it might see 1k miles a year. Sacrificing ride quality for the sake of handling I expect. Sacrificing ride quality just to lower or slam the car... Not interested.
-I totally get the PW JDM bars are mostly bling. But hey, a guy is entitled to some of that, right?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you happy with how the behaves now? What does it lack?

This is just my personal opinon on it.

Koni/gc, or you could go with AMR. I have no personal experience with this setup, however from what i read/heard you really can't go wrong with it. Made per your order, per your specs, right here in WA.

-I would leave the front bar alone.
-Either go with the USDM 22mm ITR bar, or JDM. Your call. it's only 1mm difference.
You actually don't need the ASR at all, although, it wouldn't hurt anything. Becuase you have a DC all you really need is the Beaks kit. Many people have ran this setup, and been perfectly fine with it.
-Strut bars, a small difference, but they look good.

I run a neuspeed up front and did feel a difference. Not huge, but oh well.

Have you replaced any of the factory parts? Ball joints? Now would be a great time to do it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money was no object, I'd probably get a top-tier preload and height adjustable coilover like AMR, so I could set ride height and corner weight independently. That's definitely the most legit route IMO. I'd definitely do that before spending on chassis reinforcement, since that is primarily cosmetic for most drivers and I tend to be a function > form type.

If you do wind up going with AMR or Progress you can also get some solid help picking spring rates, etc.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My DB8 has never seen anything but AMR's and I love them. I have the ASR with the type R bar and can't complain. On my EK I was sad to see my neuspeed tie bar and sway bar go but that's been on the car since the late 90's and had to change with the times, so ASR as well. I'd say look into hard rubber bushings as well. I knew guys who had the ES poly's but they would swap them out every 2 years since they weren't that expensive and ease of install. As for the tower bars I couldn't stand running knock off so I went with Carbing plus the MC brace actually made a difference.

Last edited by STOCK_SOHC_DX; 12-05-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive never had exp with the progress coilovers... but:

the tein SS i had worked very well but if your going route i think ur your trying to take the car you might wanna step it up a notch. I had the SS for my daily driver as well as monthly track events. of course i was never putting down the same power as you but i felt if i had anymore power i would have had to ordered custom springs rates...

my personal favs for my eg hatch were tein flex with swift springs (custom springs rates of course)

just though i would say something...
Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I am going to go the AMR route.

What about the traction bars? Anyone have experience with these in the twisties? Although I still have my M/T slicks, I doubt I would be running to the dragstrip. Not my thing.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 11psiGSR
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I am going to go the AMR route.

What about the traction bars? Anyone have experience with these in the twisties? Although I still have my M/T slicks, I doubt I would be running to the dragstrip. Not my thing.
If designed correctly, they won't do much, if anything, for cornering.

If designed incorrectly, and so many of them are, you'll bind up the front suspension, causing all kinds of issues.

The real question is, what do you think they would offer such that you want them?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
If designed correctly, they won't do much, if anything, for cornering.

If designed incorrectly, and so many of them are, you'll bind up the front suspension, causing all kinds of issues.

The real question is, what do you think they would offer such that you want them?
I don't know. I have ZERO experience with them. I am simply looking for feedback on their performance as part of an improved suspension package.

As stated in the first post, I am considering the Full Race Pro Street traction bars.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know. I have ZERO experience with them. I am simply looking for feedback on their performance as part of an improved suspension package.

As stated in the first post, I am considering the Full Race Pro Street traction bars.
They're aren't legal for nearly all forms of racing that isn't drag, so you aren't really going to find much, if any, feedback on their use going around corners.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
They're aren't legal for nearly all forms of racing that isn't drag, so you aren't really going to find much, if any, feedback on their use going around corners.
I don't really care if they are "legal" for use in SCCA, NASA or similar. I use a different vehicle for road racing.

I know there are folks out there running these on street cars. I am simply curious if it these prove beneficial on a car where 1/4 mile times aren't necessarily the ultimate goal.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since the car sees limited street use you could just put sphericals in your stock lower control arms, that will give you much of the benefit of traction bars without the geometry and binding problems that TunerN00B mentions.