Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

cv boot worth replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv boot worth replacing?

hi guys, i have a torn outer cv boot on the front passenger side. the car makes no clicking noise what so ever but the car shakes. especially when i increase speed. but no clicking noise. im curious if the shaking is a broken joint or axle and how long i can go before changing it if i tape it well. i only need it to last me two weeks tops. but i know how dangerous it can be to drive like this.
im going to jack the car up tomorrow morning and get a better look and post pictures. any help would be greatly appreciated. money is a factor too so im looking for the cheapest but safest alternative.
the tear is at the top of the boot. and about halfway. it looks like there is still quit a bit of grease in there as well.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cv boot worth replacing?

The torn boot will start slinging grease if the tear is large enough. Eventually the joint will be bone dry and possibly fail. Personally I wouldn't wait until it starts clicking; it shouldn't be an expensive repair. Nor is it too difficult for you to attempt the replacement yourself.

The shaking can be due to a number of things; are your wheels balanced, did you lose some weights on a wheel or two? Did you hit a pothole or something else that would cause a wheel to go out of balance? I experienced a shaking at the steering wheel on my previous ride as well. Never did figure it out,it was intermittent. But do take a good look at the axle and make sure it is seated securely at both ends. And get the wheels balanced if it's been some time. Hope this helps.

Last edited by NXSpoon; 12-10-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend has a stock 94 civic si, both axles have torn boots and has driven it atleast 25,000 miles like that and he says the car feels fine, even at higher speeds since most his driving is highway.. It just makes a clicking noise when you turn the steering wheel all the way to the side. I don't think it's exactly safe and personally I'd just replace it.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you cannot get the boot replaced, you can limp it along by trying to seal the boot tear. Large diameter heat shrink might be a band-aid.

I would advise against using the spilt boot type of repair. They are not robust.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NXSpoon
The torn boot will start slinging grease if the tear is large enough. Eventually the joint will be bone dry and possibly fail. Personally I wouldn't wait until it starts clicking; it shouldn't be an expensive repair. Nor is it too difficult for you to attempt the replacement yourself.

The shaking can be due to a number of things; are your wheels balanced, did you lose some weights on a wheel or two? Did you hit a pothole or something else that would cause a wheel to go out of balance? I experienced a shaking at the steering wheel on my previous ride as well. Never did figure it out,it was intermittent. But do take a good look at the axle and make sure it is seated securely at both ends. And get the wheels balanced if it's been some time. Hope this helps.
Thanks guys for the clarification. It ended up being a snapped wheel stud. I replaced it and the car no longer shakes. I'm going to replace the whole axle later in the week just to be safe.
Thanks again
Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For what it's worth - here's what Eric the Car Guy says in his YouTube video about replacing CV boots and the danger of driving with bad CV Joints:
  • If you the clicking is just when making turns, you have some time
  • If the joint starts clicking when you are driving straight - you are out of time. Replace that axle NOW.
I still think it's a risk anytime those joints start clicking, and I wouldn't wait. But if your short of funds or time, this guideline may help.

I've watched quite a few of his videos, and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable as well as reasonable. His bottom line on torn boots is just replace the axle.