Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

clunking noise upon braking for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise upon braking for the first time?

Hi, I'm hearing one to two clunking noises whenever I first apply the brakes when the car starts to move. If the car does not move and I apply the brakes I don't hear a noise. After braking the second time, I hear no noise whatsoever. I don't have to come to a complete stop to hear the noise, lightly tapping on the brake will make the noise too. There is no noise during driving at all. The clunk sounds like a snap or a crack and it's coming from the front of the car. If I park the car for longer than say... 30 minutes I and come out and back out and brake I will hear it again. It does not matter which direction the car is going, after it parks for a little bit, in reverse or forward it will clunk and then never make the noise again. Rotors, caliper, brakepads, and ball joints were replaced less than 10,000 miles ago. i also have energy suspension bushings, but i doubt its the bushings because the car doesn't make noise over bumps. Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clunking noise upon braking for the first time?

Well it sounds like a bad caliper sticking or not operating correctly. Other than that check bushings as well along with all the work that was recently done. Was the car making the same noise before the work was done?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly, i don't even remember. i know that after all the work was done it was fine for like 6 months. I think i heard it before the work as well, but it wasn't a big deal until recently. Normally as soon as I start the car I play music, but more recently with the music down I'll hear it. It doesn't sound like a big deal right? If it's making the noise while driving or more often then I should worry?
I dont think it's a sticker caliper because the car's alignment is great. But how can I check?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A faulty caliper will have nothing to do with the alignment. Obviously it's a problem with the brakes/ suspension/ bushings like swAy bar ex. I wouldn't just let it go, take it in to like a firestone etc who do free brake inspections to see if it's ok. Or better yet, diy.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what you are describing, this is normal. A loud "brake click" is a normal characteristic when changing direction after letting the vehicle sit for awhile due to the design of the caliper. The front brake calipers have a small amount of clearance between the shims and the pads which allow for expansion when the brakes heat up.

You can verify that this is the case by cutting up business cards and wedging them in between the pad and the caliper bracket. The noise should go away.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well being an ase cert. Mechanic that works on hondas, " it's never normal to have a clunking noise when you apply the brakes ". I do understand what your saying and happenes when you use cheaper/aftermarket parts but I would never classify a clunk,clicking or any kind of noise when brakes are applied as normal. 7 yr ase cert. Honda mechanic. Also just for example, my 91 civic si with original everything has over 300k miles and has never made a clunking clicking noise while braking. Yes it does happen, and know what your talking about, but either the parts are faulty or bad aftermarket fitment.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While on the older vehicles this likely won't happen, it's really common on newer model Honda's even with OEM pads. While it's nice to hear your automotive background, you are actually wrong on this on.

Here's a Service News page from Honda that discusses the "Brake Click" topic.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Doc1.pdf (215.7 KB, 3692 views)
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ask any real tech/mechanic that works for Honda and see if they tell you it's normal. Honda as a company just wants to cover their ***. It's okay, I'm not gonna argue because I know what's right vs wrong. You can be okay with driving clicking clunking brake calipers.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well seeing as i work for Honda and have for several years now, i can confirm that it is in fact normal due to the design of the calipers.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kcari
Hi, I'm hearing one to two clunking noises whenever I first apply the brakes when the car starts to move. If the car does not move and I apply the brakes I don't hear a noise. After braking the second time, I hear no noise whatsoever. I don't have to come to a complete stop to hear the noise, lightly tapping on the brake will make the noise too. There is no noise during driving at all. The clunk sounds like a snap or a crack and it's coming from the front of the car. If I park the car for longer than say... 30 minutes I and come out and back out and brake I will hear it again. It does not matter which direction the car is going, after it parks for a little bit, in reverse or forward it will clunk and then never make the noise again. Rotors, caliper, brakepads, and ball joints were replaced less than 10,000 miles ago. i also have energy suspension bushings, but i doubt its the bushings because the car doesn't make noise over bumps. Thanks
Somebody could have forgot a caliper bolt. I've this 3 times in the past. Customer complaining of brake noise on the first application in reverse (Honda's only here), and then nothing else after that. Really easy thing to spot, as a bolt should be there.

Incorrect brake hardware (or the lack thereof) will also cause pad shift, and will sound like a clank. Poor brake pad dimensions (inferior/cheap pads mostly) will also cause clanking noise.

I can't even begin to count how many poorly done brake jobs I see without proper hardware, and shims when required (Chrysler mostly)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kcari
Wow, I really misread this line. I thought it said the brakes were inspected, not replaced.

I would definitely have the work double checked.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kindly check brake pads, it seems like brake pads are worn or may be some gunk accumulated in the brake pads
Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Trial User

Is my problem a version of this?
I have just purchased a Honda certified 2010 Odyssey LX with 13K on it. Everything is fine except this one thing:
When I back out in the morning and brake there is no clunk. When I then put it into drive and start to gas it (gently) to move forward - "CLUNK" from the front. It is quite loud like a hammer blow to a brake rotor say. If instead I hold the vehicle with the brake so it cannot move when I gas it there is no clunk. If I immediately brake (there is no clunk when I brake) and stop after pulling away and then pull away again there is no clunk. If I back up again, brake, and then go forward again I get the clunk again as I gas it. Problem subsides quite quickly as I drive (and brakes get warmed up?).
So, do I have the loose caliper/pad problem and, even though I AM NOT USING THE BRAKES AS I GO FORWARD, the clunk still happens because the pads are always in contact on disc brakes and will still move as the rotor rotates as I pull away?

Last edited by daniboy1946; 03-29-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: clarify