Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Suspension & Brakes
Reload this Page >

CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

 
Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 PM
  #51  
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15,468
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by charnrin View Post
I got some bump on bad surface road then my rim bent. It happen 3 time - my 2 rims bent.

Before put Neuspeed race everythnig was fine. My old tires set still look good (1.5 years old.)

After put Neuspeed all rims got minus camber angle. And, I put new rims. I think it's a little bit toe out. Because I saw the tire lose some trend.
That is normal, and fine. Negative camber does not kill tires.

Yes, I got problem after I went to this alignment place. After I saw the problem I try to tell the guy. But, He try to say my suspension parts bad or not enough to adjust.
how does the car track? You need to do some digging and find out what's going on in the suspension.

Just 2 weeks my tire no trend inside.
This is normall with that amount of toe out. This is what's killing your tires.

So, My new plan - I wanna put new tire size (Old one is 205/40/16 easy to bent) I looking for 215/45/16. This size shouldn't fit. It's no room in my fender.
Try that or 205/45/16.
That is my story.

I apologist if my message make you confuse.
doesn't really confuse me, I just need to read carefully and I am fine.
98civdx is offline  
Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM
  #52  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rosemead
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Libertariat View Post
It's one of two things:

1) Your alignment guy is a moron.

2) Some component of your suspension is damaged. Big time.
Thanks, I think (1) 99.00% and (2) 1.00%. 1st owner is nerd teacher. Then, I'm 2nd one.

Originally Posted by 98civdx View Post
doesn't really confuse me, I just need to read carefully and I am fine.
Thank a lot for try to understand me.

Now, This is my plan.
1. Lift my car with Illumina Set
2. Get 215/45/16 Tires
3. Fix my rims bent
4. Get GC with your suggest rate.

But, I'm not sure the Illumina quality. Many guy said not really good.
Please suggest me between Illumina set or Koni yellow with stock springs.

Thank a lot.

PS.
Originally Posted by 98civdx View Post
how does the car track?
The stealing wheel not at center position when go straight
charnrin is offline  
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 PM
  #53  
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15,468
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

The illumina's are the next best, under Koni. However, some consdier them just as good. (talking about sport's,aka yellow's.)

Personaly, I would Koni/GC. Or a nice set of lowering springs, and either shock.

I would go with 400/450F and 350R. But this is me, and I am fine with a stiffer ride. The 350lbR is a really mild spring rates and wont kill the ride, but you will deffinetly know it's back ther.
98civdx is offline  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 PM
  #54  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

i seen some coilovers called C8 Sport P1 10f/6r. someone here on HT is also selling them. any info on these??? good or bad
vpowerDB8 is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 AM
  #55  
Ek Forever y0!
Thread Starter
 
Libertariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beating people with a stick, GA
Posts: 16,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by vpowerDB8 View Post
i seen some coilovers called C8 Sport P1 10f/6r. someone here on HT is also selling them. any info on these??? good or bad
They are somewhat of an unknown to me. Haven't been around on honda-tech very long. They seem to be priced about right for what they are.

That spring rate isn't going to make the car handle very well. It's very soft in the rear in comparison to the front which would make me thing it would handle poorly without any turn in from the rear.

Honestly save your money and go for something with a solid lifetime warranty. Koni/GC is really hard to beat. Most bang/buck there is. Progress is the best entry level setup that's widely used by Civic drivers. AMR is the cream of the crop.

@charnrin:

I would stick with either 205/45/16 or 205/40/16
Libertariat is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 AM
  #56  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rosemead
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Libertariat View Post
I would stick with either 205/45/16 or 205/40/16
205/40/16 Very thin for around my area. I bent 2 rims. I don't need to get bent anymore.
charnrin is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
  #57  
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15,468
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

I have heard decent things on the C8 sports. A couple people around her run them, but that's all I know.
98civdx is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
  #58  
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15,468
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by charnrin View Post
205/40/16 Very thin for around my area. I bent 2 rims. I don't need to get bent anymore.
quit running into pot holes.
98civdx is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
  #59  
Honda-Tech Member
 
TunerN00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, United States
Posts: 7,539
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by charnrin View Post
205/40/16 Very thin for around my area. I bent 2 rims. I don't need to get bent anymore.
Then you should have never bought 16s. Stick to 15s and it won't be an issue.
TunerN00b is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
  #60  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

so on my 94 civic coup should i run 450 in the front and 350 in the back? and i want a nice mix of cumfert. ???
kyle09 is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM
  #61  
Ek Forever y0!
Thread Starter
 
Libertariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beating people with a stick, GA
Posts: 16,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by charnrin View Post
205/40/16 Very thin for around my area. I bent 2 rims. I don't need to get bent anymore.
So get a 205/45/16 instead of getting the wrong tire size.

Or, you could buy a quality wheel like Volks that are forged and they won't bend on pot holes. Unless you've got some crazy 4-horseman of the apocalypse type pot holes.


Originally Posted by TunerN00b View Post
Then you should have never bought 16s. Stick to 15s and it won't be an issue.
And

Or buy stronger wheels,
Libertariat is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
  #62  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rosemead
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Libertariat View Post
you could buy a quality wheel like Volks that are forged and they won't bend on pot holes.
I not a guy can spend 2,000$ for set of rims. I'm cheap poor guy. My rims are O.Z. just only 400 a set.

Thank for suggest.
charnrin is offline  
Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 AM
  #63  
Ek Forever y0!
Thread Starter
 
Libertariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beating people with a stick, GA
Posts: 16,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by charnrin View Post
I not a guy can spend 2,000$ for set of rims. I'm cheap poor guy. My rims are O.Z. just only 400 a set.

Thank for suggest.
I didn't think I could afford $2,000 wheels either making minimum wage.

Until I did it. You can get great deals on a used set of volks like I did, or even enki rpf1's can be had for very little. I've seen them for $600 for a set.

And I still manage to eat, pay tuition, rent, retirement, etc.

I didn't think I could afford recaros either.

You just have to be patient. Might take you another month to save. But you can do it. It's a lot more refreshing to save for the quality stuff. It's really worth it. I was antsy too and got cheap seats and some konig wheels thinking they'd be just fine. They weren't. They were uncomfortable and the wheels were heavy and the finish started chipping after 2 weeks.

Been very happy ever since I made the switch to my volks and recaros.

Everyone can afford anything. It's just a matter of time and patience. Anyone can be a millionaire too, it's just a matter of time and patience by saving your money.
Libertariat is offline  
Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM
  #64  
Honda-Tech Member
 
fast2camciv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,101
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

1st, good read, thank you!

2nd, i see no mention of KYB AGX's? Is this because you (OP) havent run them personally, or? I have run them on a few different setups and think they are a great budget shock (would fit nicely in the $600 category) couple those with a set of lowering springs or generic coilovers with custom spring rates and IMO it makes for a great weekend warrior setup. I think they are great middle ground between Koni STR's and Yellows. OP's opinion?
fast2camciv is offline  
Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
  #65  
Ek Forever y0!
Thread Starter
 
Libertariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beating people with a stick, GA
Posts: 16,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

I don't have much personal experience with the AGX. Like I said, this thread is opinionated on purpose.

It's constructed either on my personal experience or overwhelming consensus of a products success based on my years spending time on these forums and other forums, (Clubcivic, AZHT, Importatlanta, NWP, etc.)
Libertariat is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 AM
  #66  
Honda-Tech Member
 
fast2camciv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,101
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Libertariat View Post
I don't have much personal experience with the AGX. Like I said, this thread is opinionated on purpose.

It's constructed either on my personal experience or overwhelming consensus of a products success based on my years spending time on these forums and other forums, (Clubcivic, AZHT, Importatlanta, NWP, etc.)
Oh, i see. i guess i read more into this thread than it really is. I thought this was more of an experience thread, based off a wide range of products you had used yourself, rather than a compilation of forum sackriding or he said/she said, with a dash of your own personal experience mixed in. I understand it's highly opinionated, but i thought there was some more technical backround behind the formulation of these opinions, my bad. I was highly interested before...not so much now lol. (enough so that i shared this link with a very seasoned autox'er friend of mine...who btw was taken aback by some of these recommendations lol) at any rate, Thanks for sharing.
fast2camciv is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM
  #67  
Ek Forever y0!
Thread Starter
 
Libertariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beating people with a stick, GA
Posts: 16,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by fast2camciv View Post
who btw was taken aback by some of these recommendations lol) at any rate, Thanks for sharing.
Maybe he'd like to share with us his superior level of elightenment?

I autocross myself, and many autocrossers, suspension manufactures, and general users here have commended the thread. (Function7, Progress, and AMR both pm'd me)

Koni/GC is hands down the best bang/buck autocross setup for medium to experience autocross drivers. It can't be beat. Sure, something might get close, but you really can't argue that it's a well founded platitude.
Libertariat is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  #68  
Honda-Tech Member
 
fast2camciv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,101
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Libertariat View Post
Maybe he'd like to share with us his superior level of elightenment?

I autocross myself, and many autocrossers, suspension manufactures, and general users here have commended the thread. (Function7, Progress, and AMR both pm'd me)

Koni/GC is hands down the best bang/buck autocross setup for medium to experience autocross drivers. It can't be beat. Sure, something might get close, but you really can't argue that it's a well founded platitude.
My friend hasnt ever claimed to have any kind of superior knowledge, he will be the first to tell you he is in a constant state of learning (even after autox'ing hondas for a large number of years...) He just didnt agree with some of your recomendations thats all. It's his opinion, just like you have yours. In the end thats all this thread is, opinion. no facts, just opinion...you said so yourself, so dont get mad, and dont make assumptions.

BTW one of his current autox cars rides on Koni/GC's. His wife and him both will complete 16+ Autox events this year and 3 hill climbs, along with several "time attack" style local events..and they also campaign another car that runs a full schedule in Rallyx...So there is at least 2 things he agrees with you on. (Koni/GC) I dont mean to put his business out there...but i also dont want to make it sound like his opinion is worthless, because it means a lot to me, and you can see why from his resume...but this thread isnt about him.

If any of those MFG's would like to PM me, and get his opinion on their parts, I'm positive he would have no problem putting them through their paces
fast2camciv is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM
  #69  
Honda-Tech Member
 
STOCK_SOHC_DX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 1,705
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by fast2camciv View Post
My friend hasnt ever claimed to have any kind of superior knowledge, he will be the first to tell you he is in a constant state of learning (even after autox'ing hondas for a large number of years...) He just didnt agree with some of your recomendations thats all. It's his opinion, just like you have yours. In the end thats all this thread is, opinion. no facts, just opinion...you said so yourself, so dont get mad, and dont make assumptions.

BTW one of his current autox cars rides on Koni/GC's. His wife and him both will complete 16+ Autox events this year and 3 hill climbs, along with several "time attack" style local events..and they also campaign another car that runs a full schedule in Rallyx...So there is at least 2 things he agrees with you on. (Koni/GC) I dont mean to put his business out there...but i also dont want to make it sound like his opinion is worthless, because it means a lot to me, and you can see why from his resume...but this thread isnt about him.

If any of those MFG's would like to PM me, and get his opinion on their parts, I'm positive he would have no problem putting them through their paces
I want to know what this subject matter expert recomends than? because I'm pretty sure I agree with all of the 3 brands that OP has mentioned, I would like to add Tokico illuminas, Bilstein, and Ohlins. I have also great experience with Tein Flex's only.

BTW I do have experience with all these coilovers/shocks and only have had Tokico blues fail on my while rolling on cut springs in 1994 sophomore year of HS!

The only brands I would ever buy again is:

Progress - if I couldn't afford Koni/GC
Koni/GC - if I couldn't afford AMR
AMR - because I will never pay more than $1250 for an Ohlins quality build and lifetime warranty (paid the price once)
STOCK_SOHC_DX is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
  #70  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Burton42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 56
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Libertariat View Post
1) If you can't afford to spend $600 on your suspension, it is my personal belief that I am doing you justice by telling you to find a new hobby.
Eibach makes a matched kit with struts and springs (not a complete suspension but a good starting point) for $441 on tirerack. To me that sounds like a reasonable set up under $600, what is your feeling on this set up?

part number 4.1740.780
link: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...2&autoModClar=
Burton42 is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 PM
  #71  
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15,468
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Burton42 View Post
Eibach makes a matched kit with struts and springs (not a complete suspension but a good starting point) for $441 on tirerack. To me that sounds like a reasonable set up under $600, what is your feeling on this set up?

part number 4.1740.780
link: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...2&autoModClar=
That setup is fine. Eibach makes great products, and that setup is no different.

I forgot his name on here but he has the prokit setup. Same thing as what your looking at, just a different drop/spring rates.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on that exact setup, but I decided I would rather have coilovers. I DO regret my decsion.

If your simply looking for a mild drop, and you don't want to spend the money on the progress or the Koni/gc setup this will do the job nicely. I would say a great setup for a DD that your looking to have a little fun with, but comfort is still on the mind.
98civdx is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 PM
  #72  
Honda-Tech Member
 
abs0Lut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 284
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

How will these AMR shocks do in a slammed car? I mean 3" from the ground to the pinch weld slammed.
abs0Lut is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
  #73  
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15,468
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

I recall pictures of a accord that was damn near on the groun with 14/12k springs. He said they were perfect.

Also, I have never heard of a blown AMR damper, not one. AMR also carry's a lifetime warranty so I would not worry about them not holding up at all.
98civdx is offline  
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
  #74  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Doctor X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Middle Earth, USA
Posts: 2,056
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by 98civdx View Post
I recall pictures of a accord that was damn near on the groun with 14/12k springs. He said they were perfect.

Also, I have never heard of a blown AMR damper, not one. AMR also carry's a lifetime warranty so I would not worry about them not holding up at all.
That's my car. My car is seriously on the ground and my suspension is holding is fine. My axles are giving way before my coilovers which is unheard of on my chassis. I don't think I've ever heard of another CG that had axle issues from being slammed.

All in all I'm happy with my coilovers. Andy has been very good to me.
Doctor X is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 AM
  #75  
Master Detailer
 
98civdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15,468
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Thats right! I forgot your user name. lol
98civdx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: