Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Ace48
anyone have personal experience with koni str.t orange shocks with lowering springs? They say the str.ts are good for oem replacement but can be used with lowering springs. I plan to pair these shocks with h&r sport springs which lower approx 1.5-1.8". Please anyone?
I actually talked to someone off from koni this is what he wrote me:

Thank you for your interest in KONI STR.T shocks for your Civic. The KONI Shocks are not position sensitive so they can operate just fine anywhere in their entire stroke range so long as they do not bottom or top out in the stroke. They dimensionally match the stock shocks for the car (which is what almost every shocks in our industry does) so any reasonable amount of lowering is fine but you also need to make sure that you have enough bump rubber present and in good condition in case you hit a nasty bump or pothole and the entire suspension tries to bottom out. As a multiple Honda Civic and CRX owner, driver and racer for nearly 20 years, I can tell you that that your suspension gets highly compromised for ride and handling when lowered more than about 2.0 inches so in general a range of 1.0-1.75 inches is normally just fine with prudent driving and bump rubbers. You can lower the car farther than that if you really want to be low but you need to be extra careful about how you drive it on bumps and that you have bump rubbers present and working to help protect the suspension. Your handling and definitely ride quality will suffer for being that low in exchange for having a really low look but that is your own decision. All of my Hondas over the years have been lowered but I personally would not take them deeper than 1.50-1.75 myself.

So the answer is that KONI does not have a specific maximum lowering and we do not void your defect warranty based on a particular amount of lowering. The shocks itself doesn't care how low the car is but if the shock is damaged from internal bottoming (not enough bump rubber to protect from bottoming), then it is not a defect and not covered under warranty. Your Honda's suspension design really is compromised and declines in function beyond about 1.75 inches of lowering so it and you will be better off if you stick with that or less lowering. You can go more if you want to trade look for function but you need to be careful to eliminate bottoming and damage to the car and shocks.
Best regards

I think that the h&r sport springs are perfect wise and the spring rates seem good. I was thinking about getting this setup myself. The only thing that stopped me is I need some adjustability since I live in the northeast. If you have a couple hundred more I would go for the koni/gc set up you could pick you own rates and lower and raise it to whatever height. My plan is to get spring rates slightly higher then that of the h&r sports just in case I ever want to go to 2 inch drop for looks. So im thinking 350 front 300 rear. I can drop it in the spring summer and fall and then raise it right before winter. A 96-00 civic would really benefit from a rear camber kit. You can pick up a ingalls rear camber kit for around 100 if you look around. If you decide on this set up contact the seller from thmotorsports on here and he will give you a discount. Thats my plan. If you do it before me let me know how it turns out since I wont be doing this until winter is over.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Great thread, subscribed!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Trial User

Hi guys, I'm fairly new with cars and I have a '94 hatchback which has been lowered by a lowering spring and everything stock except the VTEC ZC engine. Not bouncy and not comfortable too.

I was thinking of upgrading the suspension first before anything else and reading this thread I was considering to go with Progress or Koni/GC. I just want to know if I'm getting the right stuff.

So if I go Progress I would go with:

92-00 Civic / 94-01 Integra Series II Coil-over kit 350/250

92-00 Honda Civic Complete alignment kit

94-01 Integra / 89-91 Civic, CRX / 92-00 Civic, Civic Si / 93-97 del Sol Rear anti-sway bar

.. and I think the black OEM top hats, but I don't know where to get them. Also was thinking of the Function7 rear LCAs to go with Progress

If Koni/GC 340/250:

So what do you guys think, would this set ups be comfortable? I might drop the height too but not to low that the tires be rubbing the fenders on uneven roads.

I appreciate any help, suggestions, advice. Thank you very much!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:30 AM
Trial User

With regards to my previous post above ^, as I am really curious and wanting to learn, I found this video on youtube:

Please let me know what you think?
Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just ordered koni/gc 400 350r everyone keeps telling me these are great rates so I'm excited to throw everthing on! I will be ordering gc top hats for the front and new bump stops from gc in the rear. This is a daily driver. I will post again when installed.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Falloutkid90
Just ordered koni/gc 400 350r everyone keeps telling me these are great rates so I'm excited to throw everthing on! I will be ordering gc top hats for the front and new bump stops from gc in the rear. This is a daily driver. I will post again when installed.
On my car!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Interesting that in this photo the shocks are assembled incorrectly. Can anyone spot the problem?

Old 03-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Interesting that in this photo the shocks are assembled incorrectly. Can anyone spot the problem?

You mean besides the washer between the upper shock mount rubber and the nut on the shaft?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

You win!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need help. Is it okay to mix-match different brand name springs with different brand name shocks.? For example i am think of getting the Tein S-Tech Loweing Springs and putting them on Truhart Shocks. is this okay lmk pls
Old 03-13-2015, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Falloutkid90
Originally Posted by GonzoBongo
On my car!
I'd be interested in knowing what you think. I'd like to go 450/400r
Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by David_ej6
I need help. Is it okay to mix-match different brand name springs with different brand name shocks.? For example i am think of getting the Tein S-Tech Loweing Springs and putting them on Truhart Shocks. is this okay lmk pls
True. Koni yellows/ground control awaome match.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 2000 ek and im thinking about going with GC/KONI and GC top hats with a 340F/350R rates. gonna be installing energy suspension poly bushing master set, and front and rear sway bars from integra. also going with megan racing front subframe brace and asr rear subframe brace for chassis stiffening. think it will be to much? i dont think so
Old 05-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Such a great thread! very useful! Thank you sir!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Trial User

My son and I need to swap out the shocks on our 2004 accord v6 it has 235K miles on the original shocks. Who has a good understanding on how to remove and replace them?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does D2 still make sh!tty quality coilovers? I asking this because on the first page OP said D2 is one of the bad coilover companies on the market, but that was in 2011. Are D2 Coilovers still bad quality after 4 years? I'm seriously thinking of buying D2 for my EK or Koni/GC (I'd rather have Koni/GC), only problem is the accessibility to buy them, I can easily buy a set of D2's, but I have to order from outside of the country to get my hands on a set of Koni/GC's.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggie
Does D2 still make sh!tty quality coilovers? I asking this because on the first page OP said D2 is one of the bad coilover companies on the market, but that was in 2011. Are D2 Coilovers still bad quality after 4 years? I'm seriously thinking of buying D2 for my EK or Koni/GC (I'd rather have Koni/GC), only problem is the accessibility to buy them, I can easily buy a set of D2's, but I have to order from outside of the country to get my hands on a set of Koni/GC's.
There are much better options than D2, try contacting progress.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great thread. Reading through I've learned a lot about suspensions and how they work. For my needs which are that I just want to lower my 97 HX a little, around 1.5 inch, and I don't race or even really drive that fast. I just cruise and go with the flow cuz I can't mess with my commercial drivers license. So I'm more concerned with keeping as much comfort that can go with a slight drop. I'm leaning towards the Eibach Pro Kits but I'm not sure if I should get the package that includes the struts also. Anyone with info on that package or on the Eibach Pro Kit springs and a different strut that you like better please let me know. I can go up to around 700 or higher later. Thanks, sorry so long winded.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get Progress CSII coilovers within that price range and they will drop you 1"-1.5". I'd go with 350/250 or 350/350 spring rates for a daily driver that doesn't plan on seeing much performance. It will be a good quality ride. Progress has sales that put their coilovers in the $600+shipping price range.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
You can get Progress CSII coilovers within that price range and they will drop you 1"-1.5". I'd go with 350/250 or 350/350 spring rates for a daily driver that doesn't plan on seeing much performance. It will be a good quality ride. Progress has sales that put their coilovers in the $600+shipping price range.
Thanks for the input. That is a setup that I'm considering. I'm in no hurry so I also like the OP's $800 choice of Koni GC with probably 350f 250r. Of course I'd like to save money where I can to put into other mods as long as the ride is similar. I still would like to hear from someone who has the Eibach Pro Kit springs with their struts only because a former co worker of mine swore by them. I never got to ride in his car though.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HI I have a 97 civic hx, rear springs stock over 300k on them and new shocks bilstein b4 and the ride does not compress hardly, really stiff, wheel well clearance way too much,new lower control arms. It's like the spring doesn't compress,I had KYB GR2 in and the same thing. Do you have any idea? thanks Mike
Old 08-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is AMR out of business, I keep calling and leaving message and no one calls back or responds?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate you taking all that time to post your experiences/advice, you have really helped! Thank you for commenting and being polite and making sense, not like the other people that replied. Thanks man!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja-mike
Is AMR out of business, I keep calling and leaving message and no one calls back or responds?
They are not out of business, I just spoke to Andy couple of weeks ago. Right now he's locked out of HT but other than that he said the 888 number is good to call.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,

Just wanted to add a little feedback. I had PRogress CSII's installed on my Integra for a little over two months now. They are great! They are 450/450 spring rates...a little stiff for a DD, but I really enjoy it! Its much better than what I had (rear blown shocks). Paid $500 for them used, but in new condition. The guy that installed them raised the rear end a little than what they were set at (not sure why), so it kinda looks like the nose of the car dips a slight bit. I want to drop it a little more than what it is, so it sits nice and even, front to back.

Should I expect more stiffness if I drop it a tad?

Thanks,

- DM

Quick Reply: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.