Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Slammed EK. Question about caster and handling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slammed EK. Question about caster and handling.

So I just got an EK hatch. First honda I've owned. I love it so far but have a question. It's on KYB shocks and skunk2 coils.

Is the caster adjustable on these? The car feels like I have almost no caster. When I turn the wheel and let go, the wheel will stay turned and straighten out VERY slowly on it's own. I've owned mostly german cars before this and most of them have high caster so the wheel goes straight very quick if you let go. I kind of like the low caster and kind of don't. Are all civics like this or is it just because the car is lowered?

And my second question was, what kind of preventative maintenance should I do for the suspension? I really like how it handles so I'm probably not going to buy any more add ons. I already read that camber kits are pointless and will just get a good alignment done asap. Since I'm new to these cars, I don't know what parts go out quick after it's lowered. Are there bushings that I should take a look at? Or maybe the ball joints? I think you guys will understand what I'm trying to ask.

And here's a pic of it just for fun:

BTW ebay spring/coilovers suck! I have a buddy who slammed his civic on ebay adjustable coilover springs and stock shocks and damn that thing is horrible. The ride is super rough and it bounces all over lol. I was very happy when I drove my car because it's pretty smooth and just a single bounce from bumps. It's pretty firm but not rough. So for anyone considering ebay brand suspension, save your money and get something good.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Slammed EK. Question about caster and handling.

No, caster is not adjustble on these cars. Stock anyways.

You need to get an anlignment before we can help you anymore. it will tell us/you where the caster is at, and if you have a problem.

I don't think caster is affected by lowering, and it wont wear your tires, so it's not that big of a issue.

My wheel kind of slow, it's doesn't bug me.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks. Is the front camber adjustable at all with stock control arms? I know you can add shims to the rear but not sure about front
Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlstech
Ok thanks. Is the front camber adjustable at all with stock control arms? I know you can add shims to the rear but not sure about front
no, you can only adjust toe.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlstech
No it's not. You'd have to get an adjustable ball joint or a camber kit.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as suspension bushings, some people replace all their suspension bushings for a better ride, less squeeks, etc.. There are sets out there that have all the bushings and such in them. A lot of people seem to just buy OEM ones.
Here's one for example. http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/...8105r1mabuki00