Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Car jerks sometimes when braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jerks sometimes when braking

I have a 2013 honda. The car would jerk when I would brake at moderate to high speeds. They smoothed out the rotors with a machine. That solved the problem for a wk. Now the car is jerking when I brake again. Not as much as before. It doesn't jerk at high speeds ot does it periodically when driving slow and coming to a stop sign,light or turning. Could this still be the rotors? I just bought the car. Didn't do it when I bought it started after and gradually increased
Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car jerks sometimes when braking

check both wheels hubs and tyres
Old 01-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it have a warranty? Who turned the rotors? How did the pads look? Wheels and tires balanced recently?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you feel it through the steering wheel or through the seat?

People insist that "warped rotors" are to blame for brake pulsation. But that's almost never the case. To actually warp a rotor, you'd have to be doing something extraordinarily heroic. Or physically warping them by unevenly bolting the wheels or leaving something underneath the rotor hat.

Most of these issues are caused by the brake pads. Some brake pads will tend to transfer unevenly onto the rotors. This can happen when a person stops the car from a high speed, and then holds their foot on the brake pedal at a stop light. The overheated pad leaves a smear of material on the rotor and you get pulsation.

The brakes could be over heating because you're applying them too hard or because one or more calipers are not properly clamping the brakes and leaving a majority of the stopping work to the properly functioning calipers.

It can also occur from parking the car over a few nights with the parking brake on if it starts to rain.

Also worth checking for loose suspension components, over torqued wheels, wobbly hubs, and unevely seated and/or cracked rotors.

Since your problem went away after the rotors were machined...and then came back, I'm guessing it has to do with pad deposits.

I would assume that maybe a dealer replaced the pads when you bought the car recently. They probably used parts store garbage pads. Unless you bought it from a Honda dealer?

I'd suggest buying better pads and brand new rotors. Stay away from most ceramic compounds because they make the issue worse.

I use rockauto.com for pads and rotors. There are a *few* ceramic based pads that tend to work alright. Powerstop Z23, or Akebono Performance Ceramic seem to be ok if you need a low-dust pad.