Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Can not decide between these three coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can not decide between these three coilovers

I finally norowed it down to three brands but I can't decide on coilovers for my Dc2

I'm mainly looking at the progress cs-2 coils. But I'm skeptical about them coming without tophats. If my current suspension is blown are my top mounts okay ? Will I need a spring compressor? Is 450f/350r springs to stiff for daily driving on **** roads but with no wheel gap. And will the go low enough to provide a ride height without wheel gap. ? Is stock tophats OK?,

Second choice is function and form type 1. I've heard a lot of good and bad things about them. Do they really blow that easy ? Anybody have them on there DC? Are the springs rates being 10kg f /6kg r awkward and maybe stiff in the front? Are they sold with or without top mounts for dc? They'll provide a ride height I'm satisfied with though for sure .

Or the skunk2 pros-2 coils. Are the sold with or without top mounts? Are they reliable? Rite now I see them on the skunk2 website with 8kg/8kg and on amazon its different. What are they spring rates? Stiff soft? And can I achieve a ride height not necessarily slammed but lowwww. Can you find replacement struts if you blow one ?

I hear the best about progress but I cant make a decision. Any obvious deal makers im over looking?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can not decide between these three coilovers

Originally Posted by FLenthusiast
I finally norowed it down to three brands but I can't decide on coilovers for my Dc2

I'm mainly looking at the progress cs-2 coils. But I'm skeptical about them coming without tophats. If my current suspension is blown are my top mounts okay ? Will I need a spring compressor? Is 450f/350r springs to stiff for daily driving on **** roads but with no wheel gap. And will the go low enough to provide a ride height without wheel gap. ? Is stock tophats OK?,

Second choice is function and form type 1. I've heard a lot of good and bad things about them. Do they really blow that easy ? Anybody have them on there DC? Are the springs rates being 10kg f /6kg r awkward and maybe stiff in the front? Are they sold with or without top mounts for dc? They'll provide a ride height I'm satisfied with though for sure .

Or the skunk2 pros-2 coils. Are the sold with or without top mounts? Are they reliable? Rite now I see them on the skunk2 website with 8kg/8kg and on amazon its different. What are they spring rates? Stiff soft? And can I achieve a ride height not necessarily slammed but lowwww. Can you find replacement struts if you blow one ?

I hear the best about progress but I cant make a decision. Any obvious deal makers im over looking?
Progress CS-IIs. Done. Do not even consider F&F or Skunk2 unless you want fanboy crap. Seen many issues first hand with F&F and skunk2, especially F&F. Only quality options below $1,000 are progress and koni/gc. Are you looking for performance gains, or just looks? My koni/GC are 450fr/350rr and I find them still comfortable on crappy roads, no gap front/1 finger gap rear, but I cannot comment on first hand experience with the.Progress CS-IIs. I thought the CS-II's only came with something like 350/350 rates?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej6fade
Progress CS-IIs. Done. Do not even consider F&F or Skunk2 unless you want fanboy crap. Seen many issues first hand with F&F and skunk2, especially F&F. Only quality options below $1,000 are progress and koni/gc. Are you looking for performance gains, or just looks? My koni/GC are 450fr/350rr and I find them still comfortable on crappy roads, no gap front/1 finger gap rear, but I cannot comment on first hand experience with the.Progress CS-IIs. I thought the CS-II's only came with something like 350/350 rates?
From what I read from a vendor on here selling them they have a few different setups that I'm sure you can mix match https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2692801

I'm mainly looking for new suspension that's reliable and will go as low as I want for dd just because my stocks are blown and squeaky. But regardless I do drive aggressive enough to want to get rid of some noticeable body roll at the same time.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

top hats on double wishbone hondas are going to be fine as they just consist of the top hat and a bushing and metal sleeve, it isnt like a strut based car that the tophat includes a bearing. Worst case as preventative maintenance you just need to change the tophat bushing. hardrace makes those.

The other option is getting extended tophats if you really want to go low
Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good I'll probably go with progress. Anybody else have them ? What spring rates did you choose ?