Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

breaking upper control arm ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Year 3030

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default breaking upper control arm ball joints?

Ok about 2 months ago my UCA was clicking and popping when i came to a quick stop or or turned the wheel quickly. I replaced it with a brand new (ebay) uca with ball joint and it went away. Now its back! I always hear talk about how camber kits are pretty useless as long as you get a rotation every few months and an alignment. Im dropped about 3 maybe 3.5 inches on 15's. So in my case, should i get a camber kit if im this low or do you think its because i went with a ebay uca and not oem that its busting? thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: breaking upper control arm ball joints? (sumslapper)

It could be alot of things. But more than likely its prolly cause you went cheap. Also for that much of drop, camber kits are highly advised.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sumslapper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always hear talk about how camber kits are pretty useless as long as you get a rotation every few months and an alignment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a big misinformation. For one thing..usaully if a car is set to factory specs (so assuming your set at factory height for now) unless you get into an accident or hit a curb or somthing nasty like that, then there is no need to get an alignment but maybe once a year. or longer in some cases. Rotation is a great way to help equalize the stress your tires indures on a day to day basis, but will not prevent your tires wearing out due to an excessively lowered vehicle that isnt in an acceptable range of alignment.

If you mostly daily drive your car then -1 degree camber would be grand. at a 3.5 inch drop you should be way over that. Even having your toe set perfectly..you are gonna be wearing your tires improperly. I mention toe cause in actualality the toe is the real killer of tires. If to far off you can burn through tires very quickly.

so in other words...get a camber kit. and you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting adjustable ball joints which can solve your balljoint issue and provide a simple way to fix your camber as well.

Hope this helps.
J
Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Year 3030

Default Re: breaking upper control arm ball joints? (Jonny Black)

cool man thanks alot. appreciate it. i just heard a lot of horror stories from camber kits and i kinda stayed away from them.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:31 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine works great and I'm down about 3 inches on 15's I can't get the back to go in anymore but they don't wear out. I have the toe set and I've been on the same set for 8months and they are in great shape. Also the ball joints are easily replaced with the aftermarket Camber kits well skunk2 it is. I have to change mine this weekend becuase of my stupidity.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: breaking upper control arm ball joints? (HybridcivicLS-T)

Did you make sure to "load" the suspension before you tightened any of the bolts. If you didn't, it forces all your bushings to twist as you lower the car back on the ground. This will wear out any new bushings you install in a very short period of time.

Make sure to place a jack under the LCA, lift it until the car just barely raises off the nearest jack stand. Thats when you tighten & torque all your suspension bolts. Then your bushings will have no twist when the car is back on the ground...
Old 02-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Year 3030

Default Re: breaking upper control arm ball joints? (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you make sure to "load" the suspension before you tightened any of the bolts. If you didn't, it forces all your bushings to twist as you lower the car back on the ground. This will wear out any new bushings you install in a very short period of time.

Make sure to place a jack under the LCA, lift it until the car just barely raises off the nearest jack stand. Thats when you tighten & torque all your suspension bolts. Then your bushings will have no twist when the car is back on the ground...</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks for the tip. I bet thats why it went so fast. will do on my next install
Old 02-10-2006, 07:36 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Make sure to do this whenever you loosen a bolt that goes through the center of a rubber bushing (including engine mounts).