Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Honda Accord Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

Good for you. So do I, but generally when someone is trying to earn money out of it, there's only so much you can expect for free.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

heres the convo from him...

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
Originally Posted by fitseries3
hey i've read your thread about the brakes, great writeup.

i have a pair of 06 RL calipers i want to use on my 00 crv. crv uses ITR brake setup but im wondering if you can give me the details on the bracket that has to be fabricated to bolt the caliper up. i have a friend who is a machinist and he said he would make them for me if i could get the details.

thanks in advance.

steve
fitseries3@gmail.com
I only make and sell the entire kit. Obviously I can't give out my recipe. If your friend is a machinist, he can figure it out, its not that hard.
really? you cant tell me anything without me buying it? that takes the fun out of building your own. whatever man.
Hey tell ya what little kid. Get on your knees and suck my dick. I know what you're all about. You dont say hi, you say you wanna put hondas biggest brakes on...a light truck? and using a much, much heavier disc. Then you say "thanks in advance". Thats assuming I'm going to spend hours of my time to teach your "friend" how to make a custom part. Why don't you call fastbrakes? Maybe they'll give out your recipe. This is MY thread with a chart i spent years coming up with, and i give out ALL this info. If you think you can make a big brake kit with RL calipers for the price of 4x100 type-R brakes, be my guest. When you become a big boy and see how much it costs when you buy your OWN thousand-pound milling machine, you'll see that it costs more than you think. I don't think you'll actually make these. If your friend is a machinist, he can make a simple part. Go buy the knuckles, calipers and rotors and figure it out like I did. BrakeExpert's gotta eat too. I sell a kit that can outperform a 3000$ brembo kit for less than a third the price. If you wanna tell the world that you can do it for 300$, go ahead, but dont blame me when ricer after ricer lowballs you every day. after a few years, you start realizing that spending hours on some instructions for a part that never gets built is a waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

BE
and i never asked for him to "spend hours teaching me", just some simple dimensions of a bracket. how hard was it to say "sure thing, here you go" or "naw man, its not hard to figure out on your own".

i do this stuff for fun and when i sell the 2 extra sets of calipers i got for only $30 each from the local salvage yard, i'll sell em for about what i paid for them... not $900 like the brake expert. and FYI you can get the calipers for $500 from rock auto and the materials to fab up the brackets is only $20, throw in another $20 in grade 10 bolts and you are ready to roll.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So friggin' roll already. You "something for nothing" people get on my damn nerves.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread was made so he could share his knowledge but when you ask a question that hasnt been answered yet he wants money. a forum is for sharing knowledge and helping people but its full of people who dont want to be helpful or want you to pay them money for answers.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 AM
The Grumpiest

Are YOU friggin' kidding me? He shared more than enough information IMO. You want above and beyond what he gave. And you expect it for free because he posted a guide in a forum? THEN you came in the same thread and tried to slander him.

You do it for fun but you can't do it? And you and your imaginary machinist friend together can't do it? Too bad. I could understand if you dropped some coin on it but YOU'RE bitching because someone wouldn't help you for free? Lame.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Erm on a more positive note, I followed this chart for my 11.1" disc/ITR caliper/23T bracket and it worked perfectly once I got the right knuckles. Also did the 99-00 Si rear discs.

One more thing, I hear the Mini Cooper 11.1" disc is already 4x100 and the correct hub diameter? If so, it might be a good idea to update the chart!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no slander, exposed. all i did was copy and paste the PM.

dont think im some punk kid whos a noob just because of my low post count. this isnt my first time around the block. i've been working on cars for over 20 years. i never expected anything from him other than a certain level of respect that i gave him in return.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 AM
The Grumpiest

If I'm not mistaken the Mini may be 4x100 but it doesn't work. Lemme search for where I read that.

Edit-Mini Cooper rotors will not work on DX knuckles Only integra/ex/si knuckles.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 AM
The Grumpiest

no slander, exposed. all i did was copy and paste the PM.

dont think im some punk kid whos a noob just because of my low post count. this isnt my first time around the block. i've been working on cars for over 20 years. i never expected anything from him other than a certain level of respect that i gave him in return.
You didn't expose anything past how cheap you are. You come out of nowhere with your hand out saying "gimme"and expect some kind of respect. Funny. I've been working on cars longer than you and I wouldn't have done that. This whole thread derailment needs to be deleted.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

this thread was made so he could share his knowledge but when you ask a question that hasnt been answered yet he wants money. a forum is for sharing knowledge and helping people but its full of people who dont want to be helpful or want you to pay them money for answers.
He told you which parts are OEM bolt on, anyone can find those parts in the scrap yard and fit them so he's not making any money out of that.

If you want a kit to do something that is not bolt on, he sells the parts you need. Why would he give out the dimensions for free and lose out on the income?

It's not rocket science.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

You need custom brackets. He sells them. Why on earth would he just give you the dimensions to a product he sells. That is not logical. Make your own or buy his.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he wont sell just the brackets, hes greedy and wants me to buy the whole kit which i dont need since i already have the calipers

you people are ****ing blind here.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM
#1 Super Guy

Yes that's lame. But you can get it done without him. I believe in you.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will say BrakeExpert should sell him the brackets without making him buy the whole kit. But I guess that's his call.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i do it all the time.
What's your area of expertise so I can get some of your "free" advice?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really you want to bitch about getting the dimensions off a product he sells so you can replicate? But you want it for free??? That's like telling a hooker you want to sample her product before purchase. People have to make a living!

This guy has given us the Honda Brake Bible and you still want to get your panties in a bunch!!! This guy is awesome, if he was a chick I would kiss, well that won't sound right no matter how I put it. This guy rocks and you are a ungrateful ***** who needs to quit holding your hand out, figure it out yourself and stop bad mouthing. Your only making yourself look bad!!!

And why only sell part of a kit when your product comes as a kit. Why do people think they are so special and entitled?

Brake Expert, I would like to show some gratitude and thank you for the time and effort you have shared with us. Considering I spent 6 hrs researching the question to my answer to only have a post from you answer my question, I can appreciate the time you have put forth. I originally came in here to add your post to this thread since it clarifies the difference between eg and ek knuckles.

The EK knuckle is roughly 1/2" shorter than the EG knuckle, whether its for the 9.5" or 10.3" brake setups. The 9.5" brake setups of either chassis take a 4x100 hub, but its slightly smaller in outer diameter and center bore for rotors.

You can use EK knuckles on a lowered EG, but I would not put EG knuckles on a stock height EK, as the knuckle will now be taller on a stock ride height, giving positive camber. positive camber is the bad kind, when the wheels tip out at the top.

if you use EK knuckles on an EG without any lowering, you will probably have negative camber, good for performance, but will affect tire wear a bit on the inside of the tires.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my 1" mc just died yesterday when i installed the rear ep3 rotors, so i need to change it, wich do you recommend me??

front 11.1"
rear 10.2"
prop valve 35/40 all installed on my ef9,

thnks for the info
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
#1 Super Guy

90-91 Civic EX 15/16" MC would be the CORRECT size MC. 1" is only necessary for ABS because it makes it easier to lock up your wheels.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 PM
a.k.a. Komodo

Originally Posted by 94eg!
90-91 Civic EX 15/16" MC would be the CORRECT size MC. 1" is only necessary for ABS because it makes it easier to lock up your wheels.
The ABS should make no difference to your MC selection, and if anything a smaller MC would make it easier to lock the wheels.

Those brakes have larger pistons than stock, a 1" MC will correct the pedal travel.

Last edited by Kozy.; 07-03-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 AM
#1 Super Guy

Just look at list I posted before about factory Honda brake setups (that you bookmarked). For any given brake setup, if Honda adds ABS, they ALSO bump up the MC size. Examples of the top of my head:

- DC Integra RS NON ABS, 15/16" MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons.
- DC Integra w/ ABS, 1" MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons (R = 34mm).
- JDM 96-spec DC Type-R NON ABS, 15/16" MC, 57mm front pistons, 34mm rear pistons
- JDM 98-spec/USDM DC Type-R w/ ABS, 1" MC, 57mm front pistons, 34mm rear pistons
- 90-91 Civic EX NON ABS, 15/16" MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons
- DA Integra NON ABS, 15/16" MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons

And it is definitely NOT easier to lock w/ an undersized MC. The pedal travel is much larger and you probably won't make enough pressure at the calipers before the stroke hit's the floor.

For a 57mm front piston and a 30mm rear piston, and NO ABS, honda uses 15/16". Even on the ITR w/o ABS
Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 AM
#1 Super Guy

Originally Posted by Komodo
Those brakes have larger pistons than stock, a 1" MC will correct the pedal travel.
BTW: Type-R 11.1" front brakes have the same size pistons as any standard Integra (57mm). They aren't really bigger. Just the caliper itself is bigger.

And his original stock EF9 MC was 13/16". So the 15/16" I recommended is bigger. He was just using the wrong size after his brake swap. The 15/16" will offer better modulation compared the 1" he was using. Of course if he was running a 1", he probably doesn't have his stock booster any more. Which I highly recommend re-installing. The smaller Civic booster works really well with the larger MC's. Especially on a lightweight car. Makes the pedal much stiffer and allows great modulation.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Just look at list I posted before (that you bookmarked). For any given brake setup, if Honda adds ABS, the bump up the MC size. Though 1" is the largest they use (up until SUV's). Examples of the top of my head:

- DC Integra RS NON ABS, 15/16MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons.
- DC Integra w/ ABS, 1"MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons (R = 34mm).
- JDM 96-spec DC Type-R NON ABS, 15/16MC, 57mm front pistons, 34mm rear pistons
- JDM 98-spec/USDM DC Type-R w/ ABS, 1" MC, 57mm front pistons, 34mm rear pistons
- 90-91 Civic EX NON ABS, 15/16MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons
- DA Integra NON ABS, 15/16MC, 57mm front pistons, 30mm rear pistons

And it is definitely NOT easier to lock w/ an undersized MC. The pedal travel is much larger and you probably won't make enough pressure at the calipers before the stroke hit's the floor.

For a 57mm front piston and a 30mm rear piston, and NO ABS, honda uses 15/16". Even on the ITR w/o ABS
I'm not that hot on US models as you know, but I think you've got the JDM model DC2s wrong.

JDM 96specs use 54mm/30mm pistons with a 15/16" MC. (10.3/9.5" rotors)
JDM 98specs use 57mm/34mm with a 1" MC. (11.1/10.2" rotors)
Same with the Civic models, any Civic with 57mm/34mm (JDM EK9, UKDM MB6) gets a 1", any with 54mm/30mm (UKDM/JDM EK4) gets a 15/16" unit, I do not recall ever hearing of there being any difference in MC owing to the fitment of ABS outside of this thread.

You guys have some weird sizing for these parts. In the UK it is as simple as 282/260mm setup gets a 1", 262/240mm setup gets a 15/16. I had ABS and a 15/16". I 'upgraded' to 57mm front pistons on 11.1" rotors and the pedal turned to crap, it needed a 1" unit to feed them.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 AM
#1 Super Guy

Okay well, I have no evidence to back up the JDM ITR (just hearsay). I'm pretty sure the 96-spec came in versions with and without ABS though. Perhaps that's the source of our conflicting information. I DO know the 92-95 Civic SiR w/o ABS uses 54/30mm pistons and a 7/8" MC, exactly the same as the US Del Sol VTEC (B16 powered). I personally run this setup on my Civic.

As far as US-spec evidence for my theory goes, ALL the NON-ABS Hondas with 54mm front pistons use a 7/8" MC regardless of rear piston size or drums/disc configuration. Rotor size has nothing to do with the MC size IMO. Here are the examples of 54mm front pistons and 7/8" MC:

- 88-91 Civic Wagons
- 90-91 CRX Si
- 93-95 Civic EX Coupe
- 94+ Del Sol VTEC
- 96-00 Civic EX Coupe
- 99-00 Civic Si
^If any of those models received ABS w/ the same piston sizes, they were bumped up to a 15/16" MC.

All the NON-ABS models w/ 57mm front pistons use a 15/16" MC
- 90-93 Integra
- 94-97 Integra RS
- 90-91 Civic EX
^If any of those models received ABS with the same piston sizes, they were bumped up to 1" MC.

The sizes may be weird relative to the UK, or you may want to double check OEM UK measurements. I just compiled this list a few months ago from the Centric's database, and it's 100% accurate thus far when compared to Honda & Acura part numbers.

BTW: If I look closely at my list, there are only a few odd exceptions:
- 94 Civic Si w/ ABS has 57/30mm pistons, but only a 15/16" MC
- 02-05 Civic Si w/ ABS has 54/34mm pistons, but only a 7/8" MC
These are the only two individuals where Honda did not bump up the MC size (relative to the front calipers) when they added ABS.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
#1 Super Guy

Here is the list in order of front piston size (smallest to biggest). Notice how it's proportional to MC size. Also notice how when ABS is added, the MC is 1 size bigger. The only two that don't follow the trend are the EG /w ABS and the EP w/ ABS. And both of those have MC's smaller than expected:

Name:  BrakeData.png
Views: 4515
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Well that throws me, I didn't even know you could get 57mm pistons on 262mm discs.

I'm not arguing that Honda do it necessarily, I remember you saying they did before, but it doesn't really make any sense as to why they do it. A smaller MC makes more pressure, but will usually have a smaller booster to make up for this, so the pressures end up roughly the same, the only thing that really changes is the pedal travel?

Quick Reply: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras