Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Honda Accord Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

is the integra rs 94-97 brake booster the same as 92-95 civic brake booster (nonabs)?
feedback is appreciated.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

Im using 97 or 99 rear trailing arms from civic ex/lx sedan, scarebird conversion brackets, integra rotors, calipers(either rs,ls,gsr). Front would probably be oem or 96-00 civic ex,si brakes with knuckle of course. application is a 93 3dr dx. I am leaning more towards staying with my oem booster and just using the 91 ex 4dr m/c. BUT would the m/c booster combo off a 94-97 rs be more ideal?
Input is much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is an amazing thread
Old 05-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gaskethead
Im using 97 or 99 rear trailing arms from civic ex/lx sedan, scarebird conversion brackets, integra rotors, calipers(either rs,ls,gsr). Front would probably be oem or 96-00 civic ex,si brakes with knuckle of course. application is a 93 3dr dx. I am leaning more towards staying with my oem booster and just using the 91 ex 4dr m/c. BUT would the m/c booster combo off a 94-97 rs be more ideal?
Input is much appreciated.
why not just stay with your generation for parts? you'll have caster issues with 96-00 civic knuckles on your car.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know of a good paint that can withstand brake fluid and brake cleaner? I bought some rustoleum 1200° silver paint and it looked great, but as soon as I hit it with some cleaner it just dripped off. I didn't run it on the car yet so it's possible it needs to be heated to cure. I have some red G2 in the mail, but I want to protect the inner parts of the caliper under the brake pads also.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 AM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BrakeExpert, do you know anything about the rear brakes on my car, a 2002 EDM Accord Type R? Uses a 260mm rear disc but I am wondering if it is possible to do a swap similar to the S2000 282mm rear conversion you do on the Civics? I know that the brakes are not compatible between the Accord and Civic, so anticipate that this probably isn't possible...
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Zef
Honda-Tech Member

Do you sell the S2K brackets already milled down to fit? Second, I just wanted to make sure I am reading your chart correctly, the 11.1'' S2K rotors bolt on (after they've been re-drilled of course) in the rear to a 99 Si spindle with the EP3 calipers and mounting bracket, correct?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I upgraded my 2000 civic ex's brakes and even with stock pads it's a great upgrade. I put on 1994 si rear trailing arm, then went to a 4040 prop. valve because there was major bias to the rear. I then upgraded the MC and booster to the 1" integra, ports in the same spot as stock. This was a bitch to get in, I had to compress/tie down the pedal plunger to make it fit without removing my intake manifold. Not sure I'll ever get it back out if I sell my car. ;-) This did improve the braking power with the same amount of force, but it was upgraded in preparation of the next steps.

My fronts now have the 2-piston Legend calipers and the '07 Mini 280mm rotors. They bolt up perfect, and there seems to be no pad overhang like others have reported. I did not swap them L-R, since the pistons were designed to be in a certain order, but it does make it a little more annoying to bleed. The rears got 2003 civic si calipers and rotors, but these did have to be swapped in order to keep the e-brake. These are a real pain in the *** to bleed, because the stock rubber lines are a bit short with the larger rotors. You have to unbolt the hose support from the frame then flip the calipers up so the bleed screw is on top. Use a C-Clamp to keep the piston in, because you do not want to have to screw the piston back in. When you do the swap, you'll need to put the left e-brake bracket and attachment on the right caliper, on the left side.

I went from not being able to lock up my tires on a dry sticky road to chirping whenever I want. Nothing better to get your mind off wedding stress then making a Frankenstein car :-D Now all that's left is to decide on which pads to upgrade to. HPS or Greenstuff looks like the choices. Not a track car, but I usually am doing 85-95mph on the highway.

Edit: Here are the centric part numbers for the rotor— Cheap: 121.34100, Coated: 120.34100, Drilled/Slotted: 128.34100L 128.34100R

Use the 23t bracket w/them since they are 22mm thick. BrakeExpert had a good point about possibly needing shims when they wear down low. I have tested the pistons with a board 1.5" thick, but nothing thinner yet.

Last edited by beren; 05-17-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i have a little question here....on my integra, one of my rear caliper broke and almost all the fluid came out. i fix the problem but the brake pedal is still way too soft than normal...should i just bleed my caliper or sould i bench bleed my master cylinder and bleed the caliper after that?

thanks you
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by civic_b20vtec
hey i have a little question here....on my integra, one of my rear caliper broke and almost all the fluid came out. i fix the problem but the brake pedal is still way too soft than normal...should i just bleed my caliper or sould i bench bleed my master cylinder and bleed the caliper after that?

thanks you
I would try the easier route 1st. If you can't get it stiff, then try bench bleeding.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_b20vtec
There are kits to help bench bleed, plastic plugs with hoses that screw into the MC to return the fluid, but I do it simpler. Find a junk yard honda with the 10mm brake nuts going into the MC or proportioning valve, and cut 2 of the hard lines about 8-10" long. Use a tubing cutter to make clean holes, then bend them into a 'U' shape, pretty thin, and screw them into your MC with the filter removed. If done right, the lines will loop up and into the fluid reservoir. All you need to do then is pump the pedal. If there is a lot of air, the fluid will get a lot of little bubbles in it, so you have to wait and let them settle out, or else they will keep getting smaller and you will never get the air out.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beren
There are kits to help bench bleed, plastic plugs with hoses that screw into the MC to return the fluid, but I do it simpler. Find a junk yard honda with the 10mm brake nuts going into the MC or proportioning valve, and cut 2 of the hard lines about 8-10" long. Use a tubing cutter to make clean holes, then bend them into a 'U' shape, pretty thin, and screw them into your MC with the filter removed. If done right, the lines will loop up and into the fluid reservoir. All you need to do then is pump the pedal. If there is a lot of air, the fluid will get a lot of little bubbles in it, so you have to wait and let them settle out, or else they will keep getting smaller and you will never get the air out.
ok so, the goal of taking 2 brake nuts with 2 brake lines pieces is just that the fluid you pump will go back in the MC?...because if i dont have them i could just let drop the fluid and put more in the MC when it is almost empty?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oy, Here do this. Go buy a 3/16" clear tube, its at most 39 cents a foot. (same diameter as the windshield washer fluid hose - you could actually use this.) Get ten feet of it. Run it from that caliper's bleeder all the way into the master cylinder resovoir. Open it and start pumping. keep the MC at least halfway full at all times to prevent ingesting air. This enables you to sit in the car and cycle the fluid from the caliper into the MC, and thus any air bubbles will be pushed into the MC, and of course will come upward due to gravity. You can sit in the car yourself and pump on the pedal a hundred times if you want, but it'll guarantee you get all the air out of that part of the system. Then if you want, repeat this on the other three calipers. It may be time consuming for ya, but if you don't want to bench bleed, or are cheap and/or lazy like me, I guarantee this will work, as I've had to do it on Infiniti's that have teeny *** MC resovoirs and accidently ingested air on a brake change.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
#1 Super Guy

I don't see that working at all. What's to prevent the fluid from moving back & forth instead of around in a circle? I would think you need a short upward-turned hose....like in a bench-bleed kit....that allows air to blow out of the MC with a single stroke of the piston and make it's way up the hose.

If your trying to blow air out of the MC down into the cars hard-lines, with an MC piston full of air, I don't see enough pressure being generated to push all the fluid inside the lines upward into a ridiculously long hose.

F**k it. Give it a try. I gotta see this!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. If you look at the design of the master cylinder, some will come back on the upstroke, but most will go down and out. Go try it, I think you'll find its the only way to do it
Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks for the tips guys
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ap2 s2000 calipers with Rsx typeS rotors, how much does it need to be spaced?

Edit, integra hub

Last edited by flatblack-h22; 05-19-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got back from the local junkyard looking for parts for my 1994 Del Sol VTECH brake upgrade. Scored a pair of 1995 Legend front calipers (17CL15VN) and brackets (23t) in really good shape.

I'm curious: in BrakeExpert's rear brake list, why is the 02-03 Civic Si rated stronger than the >99-00 Civic Si when the latter has bigger 11.1" rotors?

Last edited by afratki; 05-20-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM
#1 Super Guy

The latter (99-00 Si) does not have bigger brakes. The 02-03 Si has larger brakes and larger rear pistons.

You can use those EP3 rotors with regular calipers by simply adding RSX/EP3/ITR brackets with your existing stock caliper.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im wanting to put the 4pot 06 rl calipers on my 1st gen crv. can you tell me what i need?

also, my crv is awd and i want to convert to rear disk. can this be done?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i've got the calipers now, scored a deal at only $140 for the pair.

crv uses same brake parts as ITR. you can verify on rockauto.

does anyone have a template or measurements of the bracket to mount these?

im guessing i use pads for the RL but what rotors?

and before anyone says that these wont fit under 15inch rims, i have 17s off an 04 TSX on the crv and they actually look pretty nice. they'll look even better with the big acura calipers underneath.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its nice that the "brakeexpert" was so eager to share his knowledge but when you try to ask him for any further info he wants you to pay him. what a bastard. you wont be getting my money.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hm. Pay a man for his time and expertise to go above and beyond the FREE advice he already gave you for a brake combo NOT covered in this thread? Preposterous.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 PM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Hm. Pay a man for his time and expertise to go above and beyond the FREE advice he already gave you for a brake combo NOT covered in this thread? Preposterous.
Exactly, why should people with knowledge and experience be expected to give it out for free all the time?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i do it all the time.

Quick Reply: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras