Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Honda Accord Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

thanks 4 your opinion,,ok this car is just for 1/4 mile no DD!is a 98 ej8 civic the weight is around 2050 with driver,i have some lensos vpd 13x7.5 and 24.5x8x13 m/t and weld skinnies, this set up is all motor b series 2.1L hopefully 10 high`s,full race traction bar,fuction and form type 1 coilovers,etc etc...but i am no expert about brakes,so i need some help with my brake`s set up!!! i have some knowledge about rotors,pads and brake lines brands,but this is my firts race car set up and i want try to do everything rigth with the exaclty parts!!! btw,,sorry for my really bad english xD!! every opinion are welcome =D!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

So you only need to stop it once at a time then, you also need them to be light and to fit behind a 13" wheel. That means a lot.

Downgrade to DX knuckles and find a pad that works well cold. Stock (9.5") rotors still apply.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would you know if there are differences in ITR dc2 brake pads with civic ek 96-00?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _ar_
would you know if there are differences in ITR dc2 brake pads with civic ek 96-00?
Yes there is.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it possible to install 2006-2011 Honda Civic Si Front brake calipers on to an EK chassis?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What a great thread!

I am picking up a 1997 Civic EX, and its got rear drums....

This will be my first mod.

To the bone yards I go!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My setup so far:
'92 CX spindles
15/16" MC from a '90-'91 Civic
new brake hardlines
Stock Prop valve
Scarebird rear brackets
RSX rear calipers
MINI non-s rear rotors
Braided steel lines
14" HX rims
DD Twincharge Hatchback

Can I still use Legend 2pot calipers?
Are the Si rotors the biggest I can us?

Last edited by 92cxyd; 11-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone help me out with this

I bought these rotors from fastbrakes.
DA-DC-SPECR-11-INCH-SLOTTED
Fastbrakes SpecR Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si 11" slotted rotors
Slotted 11" rotors for the Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si with modified TypeR calipers. Rotors have 4 x100 and 4 x 114.3 bolt pattern. Price is for PAIR of rotors.

they don't seem to list them for sale anymore.

do I need to shave the legend dual piston caliper for these or no?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. You treat them the same as is you are using ITR calipers, but the legend can take up to a 25mm thick rotor.

FWIW, they are still available (not sure about slotted though):

Fastbrakes SpecR Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si 11" PLAIN rotor

BTW, they are identical to Prelude VTEC rotors, but in 4x100.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Trial User

Hi guys, new member here. I recently acquired a 98' hatch ej6. I mistakenly bought a complete passenger side EK4 spindle unit (caliper, pads, rotors, LCA) from a wrecker. Was a good deal so i took everything. I noticed the obvious that the rotors, caliper was a bit bigger than the stock ones i have. I was going to replace the front wheel bearing hub. Now I'm thinking of just replacing the whole unit and buying the other pair that i left. Now the question is, would everything fit? like the splines on the stock ej6 CV axles, UCA, LCA, trail arms, would they perfectly align or am i going to have geometrical problems? Would the rims rub? Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone chime in about why https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=116
this wont work on a RT4wd civic wagon 88-91
Old 12-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The short answer is "because the trailing arms are totally different"

Rt4wd:

Typical:

Look at the way the Scarebird bracket fits around the stub axle and you'll see pretty quickly why it's not going to work.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eklum
can anyone chime in about why https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=116
this wont work on a RT4wd civic wagon 88-91
Uh, ask the reps over at Scarebird? Uh, totally different platform as expertly illustrated above? Uh, WTF does this have to with the original topic?
Old 12-13-2014, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
The short answer is "because the trailing arms are totally different"

Rt4wd:

Typical:

Look at the way the Scarebird bracket fits around the stub axle and you'll see pretty quickly why it's not going to work.
so youre showing me the top as a bare Rt hub and bottom what? standard 88-91 civic?
i would like to assume it would be equally easy to make a plate for a RT
Old 12-13-2014, 05:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeez. Make the template yourself and take it somewhere to get made. Or better yet, buy the kit and see if it fits. What is it? $65?
Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a quick google image search and that's what I was able to pull up on my phone. While on my vacation. Picture the second one without the backing plate, look at the Scarebird page, and you should be able to see the problem pretty quickly.

You're right, it would probably be just as easy to come up with something for the 4wd arm. It's up to the manufacturer to decide if there is enough value added in developing one for his business though, so you need to contact him directly.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:53 AM
Trial User

Quick question, will a prelude 97-01 MC with ABS fit my EK3 15/16 BB with ABS? If I give it a quick look and compare them i'd say yes.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm upgrading to Type R calipers on the front brakes and I have a '95 RS with a 15/16 master cylinder and a non-ABS booster.

Can I bolt up a 1" master cylinder from a 98-01 Type R to the non-ABS booster? Or will I have to use a ABS brake booster (I have one from a '98 GSR)? And will the brake lines fit?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's worth mentioning that you will notice almost no difference between the 15/16" and 1" master cylinders. Now if you were starting with a 13/16" or even a 7/8", it would be a worthwhile swap. I would start with the brake swap and see if you even really feel that you still want to worry about the master cylinder.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's worth mentioning that you will notice almost no difference between the 15/16" and 1" master cylinders. Now if you were starting with a 13/16" or even a 7/8", it would be a worthwhile swap. I would start with the brake swap and see if you even really feel that you still want to worry about the master cylinder.
Honestly, you might be right. The cars that had 1" MCs from the factory all had ABS pumps/lines and larger rear brakes, both of which require more fluid to be pressed by the larger MC. I have no ABS (less fluid/lines) and I'm keeping stock Integra rear brakes.

But at the same time, I don't think there was a factory Honda with the Accord/Oddy/ITR front calipers + No ABS that had a 15/16 MC. I just don't want to do twice the work (bleeding brakes, then finding out the pedal is too soft and nowhere nearly as firm as stock then having to rebleed brakes again).

I already have a ABS booster and 1" MC anyways as parts anyways, I just have to figure out 1. If its worth installing and 2. If it is, then what's involved in doing so (ABS Booster/US GSR 1" MC + '95 RS)

Last edited by mazdabish; 02-21-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you already have the parts, go for it. I can't remember which setup came on the RS, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to cut, bend and reflare larger fittings on. Since you have the parts in hand, it should be fairly obvious just by holding side by side.

I've done the '90 EX mc (15/16") with ITR front + rear disc on several Civic setups over the years and it's always been just fine... and I'm pretty picky bout pedal feel.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Does any know what how much rotor each caliper brake pad will cover? Does a rear Integra (non Type-R) clamp less of the rotor than a Type-R? I understand the differences in rotor sizes, but I am unsure of if there is a difference in the amount of surface are is used with different calipers. Does that make sense to anyone? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you already have the parts, go for it. I can't remember which setup came on the RS, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to cut, bend and reflare larger fittings on. Since you have the parts in hand, it should be fairly obvious just by holding side by side.

I've done the '90 EX mc (15/16") with ITR front + rear disc on several Civic setups over the years and it's always been just fine... and I'm pretty picky bout pedal feel.
Turns out the PO actually already put in a 1" MC. Doesn't say 15/16 on it anywhere, only a small 1, and line positions, fittings look identical to the BMC off my old 98 GSR. I should've checked before making my post, but it was too cold to go to my garage

1" BMC and Booster from my old '98 GSR for reference

The one that's already on the car right now. I did notice a small nick on the corner of the top front brakeline, which could've been from bending it.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The magic numbers for the DX to s2000/g60 conversion are:

90/91 Corrado G60 rotor is 65.1mm id (ring od)
and
88-00 dx hub 56.1mm od (ring id)

any caliper marked 16CL16VN fits milled bracket for s2k (and some others? 23t? someone confirm)

i am reseaching this build for my 92 h2/3 that has rear disks and vtec but STOCK FRONT BRAKES and MC!!! quick fix/upgrade, mechanic says 120 to swap rotors/bracket/disk if all bolts up (i'm doing hardines at same time). Haven't tested hub ring size for fit and available sizes seem to be more 65.0 to 56.5 which would allow fit and an acceptable tolerance.

Anyone who has done this build please confirm.

someone should edit the original post, BrakeExpert seems to have diappeared and fine points of the various dx builds are scattered (but all here in the forum)

https://honda-tech.com/suspension-br...otors-2913397/ good info - wrong ring id (dx hub od)
https://honda-tech.com/wheel-tire-56...-ring-1553062/ - correct dx hub od (required min ring id)

Last edited by RaelynLabs; 03-05-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know if the 11" rotor and legend caliper will clear an 15" Enkei J-speed. Its on a ej8. Thanks.

Quick Reply: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras