Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Honda Accord Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

Hwy brake expert i really appreciate your time and hard work summing up all of this info! thanks for all your hard work time to post it!!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integr

Thank you for a very informative thread.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EJoneuglyhonda
Oops posted a thread before I saw this, but anyway I am planning to do the rear disc swap on my 95 ex this weekend, and I got everything, including the 2000 SI master cylinder, only no brake booster. Will the 2000 SI m/c work with my 95 ex brake booster or are they different? If they're different, then can I get the SI booster and use that in my 95 or will I be bending the lines too much and should I just stick with my '95 ex m/c & booster instead?
I believe the mounting ears are in different locations. Boosters out of ABS civic's will be thicker than non ABS. I would go with a 15/16 MC from the 91 civic 4 dr ex and it bolts right up. Got mine cheap from rock auto.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Break Expert,

Are there any other source cars that use the same 5 lug with *36mm axle* that the ITR uses? I ended-up with a 5 lug set-up that uses the standard smaller axles that are fine for lower WHP set-ups but would like to run larger axles for the high WHP set-up that I'm building.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

CR-V knuckle.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peaceable
Hey Break Expert,

Are there any other source cars that use the same 5 lug with *36mm axle* that the ITR uses? I ended-up with a 5 lug set-up that uses the standard smaller axles that are fine for lower WHP set-ups but would like to run larger axles for the high WHP set-up that I'm building.
they're not really any stronger. i really wouldn't bother with the 36mm axles. it just makes it more difficult to source. power is not really what kills axles anyway. it's not preloading when you launch.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For any one interested in upgrading their front brakes to ITR calipers and rotors, you need a wheel with a barrel at least 14" wide. My street setup barely clears to the point that the caliper would knock off the weights on the barrel. I was unable to find this bit of info while searching to do the swap so I figured I would post while still fresh on my mind.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i tried over and over to learn how to read the charts and im still not understanding it.
i have an 89 civic hatch with rear drums.
my goal is to upgrade my front brakes to bigger rotors and calipers and convert my rear drums to disk brakes. im willing to make all necessary hardware changes. please help me with some guidance.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brake Expert your inbox is too full and wont allow me to pm you lol
i have an 89 civic hatch with rear drums
ok so i found a rear disk conversion off a 99 integra from craigslist. i have a picture off the ad listing of the whole set up and would appreciate if you check out the picture so you could see if its correct. you never know people on craigslist. to me it looks like the correct assembly but YOU NEVER know especially after driving 1 hour to the destination. i will try to post the pic here hope it works.
P.S i was told that 90-93 DA e-brake cables are compatible as well, is that true?
his asking price is $130 but he said he will take $100
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gerard92692

P.S i was told that 90-93 DA e-brake cables are compatible as well, is that true?
his asking price is $130 but he said he will take $100
If they're in good shape, it's a good deal. Snag em up!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
The mini rotors are in fact 2mm smaller in diameter, so you will have 1mm of pad overhang. If you are concerned with it, it's nothing that you can't prevent by grinding that tiny bit off of the pad.
Just to clarify: if you get the 280mm mini rotors, there is *no* overhang.

There's at least 3 rotor sizes for the mini: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=1896

Something like the Raybestos 980606 won't rust either.

Please update the charts and stop saying they don't fit. *Specific* ones do it, like like everything else...
Old 11-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hi brake expert i have a 92 cx with rear si disc swap but stock front brakes and still have the stock 13/16 brake m/c but i have a 40/40 pro valve and found some ex front knuckles with brakes and rotors but there abs and my car isnt. I also found a 15/16 brake m/c and booster from a abs ex civic 94 or 95 and wanted to know if these would work on my car i know that the abs brake m/c has a bigger fitting for one of the lines but didnt know much else.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:36 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The knuckles & brakes will bolt on. Doesn't matter they are ABS. Just take the ABS sensors off the knuckles.

Yes the ABS master cylinder won't directly bolt onto your hard lines. You would have to re-flare one of them with a new fitting.

To make life easy, you can order this piece from Centric (makers of Stoptech) for a direct bolt-on brand new option that you can use with your existing booster.
130.40016 $55.60 http://www.amazingsavingsautoparts.c...em&id=13325008

Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks for the info is that the 90-91 civic ex m/c?. I have another question do u know the difference between abs and non abs brake lines? Because I want to get steel braided lines but there's two different kits and my rear disk r not abs. So would I have to buy both abs for the front and non abs for the rear?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The hard lines at the master are different. The flex lines to the calipers should be the same.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The hard lines at the master are different. The flex lines to the calipers should be the same.
Yea that's what I was thinking but they have different part numbers for the flex lines for abs and non abs.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not necessarily a brake question but i am in need of some serious help, my 91 civic ex sedan hub got bent now i need a replacement, dealership does not have one and local junkyards dont have any ex model civic. what can i do about this, does a DA hub fit the same, or a DX or can i only use a EX hub?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jsinher3
not necessarily a brake question but i am in need of some serious help, my 91 civic ex sedan hub got bent now i need a replacement, dealership does not have one and local junkyards dont have any ex model civic. what can i do about this, does a DA hub fit the same, or a DX or can i only use a EX hub?
You should open a new thread..... you can't get one from an auto parts store? Front or back?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeatDX
You should open a new thread..... you can't get one from an auto parts store? Front or back?
No I can't, I have looked. I thought a da 1 might work since they can Both be used for the legend caliper upgrade and that is what I was in the middle of. .
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your hub or your knuckle? Two very different things. The DA knuckle will not substitute for the EX knuckle though. They are different heights, and using the DA one will trash your suspension geometry.

Originally Posted by beren
Just to clarify: if you get the 280mm mini rotors, there is *no* overhang.

There's at least 3 rotor sizes for the mini: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=1896

Something like the Raybestos 980606 won't rust either.

Please update the charts and stop saying they don't fit. *Specific* ones do it, like like everything else...
Good info, thanks for that.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your hub or your knuckle? Two very different things. The DA knuckle will not substitute for the EX knuckle though. They are different heights, and using the DA one will trash your suspension geometry.

Good info, thanks for that.
all i need is a hub that can be used as adirect replacement for a EF EX hub
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much clearance is need between the rotor and caliper??
Old 01-15-2014, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedteg4dr
how much clearance is need between the rotor and caliper??
close as you can, minus expansion of the caliper when the rotors is hot.
dl = L0 α (t1 - t0)
dl = change in length (m, inches)
L0 = initial length (m, inches)
α = linear expansion coefficient (m/moC, in/inoF)
t0 = initial temperature (oC, oF)
t1 = final temperature (oC, oF)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so let me get this clear. I have a 95 Civic LX non-abs sedan. I want to run the Mini Cooper 280mm rotors with ITR Calipers. I can get the Calipers with ITR brackets, will they work??

I am confused as to the 23T and 25T brackets and if I have to waste the money on them and having to shave them 3mm because the Cooper rotors have a 3mm offset.

If I am out of line with the question, I am sorry.

Quick Reply: BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras