Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Brake Upgrades for 96-00 Civics, applicable to some older Civics and Integras

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Upgrades for 96-00 Civics, applicable to some older Civics and Integras

Originally Posted by jr_deleon
If youre buying SS lines for your car, you should be buying the lines for your car, which is the EK Civic. Yes the DA may be different, but the line is going to bolt to that trailing arm and thread into the CIVIC line on the chassis, which may be further or closer than on the DA chassis.

Just think about it: the DA may have a longer or short line because it depends on where the hard line comes through the body, not the soft hose youre trying to replace. Ther 7CLP14s caliper that the DA have is the same one as the ones used on 90-01 tegs and 88-00 civics with rear discs so the end that bolts to the caliper will be the same, but the other end may be too long or too short if they are different.

You could just verify with someone like russell or other companies that make the lines. Or just get the ones for the 99-00 Si and get it over with
but i heard that the DA fittings are different opn the calipers
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Upgrades for 96-00 Civics, applicable to some older Civics and Integras

Originally Posted by Ace_Ek
but i heard that the DA fittings are different opn the calipers
Dude, why listen to what you heard if the calipers are right in front of you as you did say you have everything? Verify what you have in front of you believe me it will make your life so much easier. Does your caliper have a 14mm head bolt holding the line to the caliper (Ive never seen them any different)?

And this directly from the rear upgrade chart on the first page All of the calipers under the bold, including the DA, should have the same fitting in the back. Legend:

7CLP13S = 99-00 Si Caliper/CRX Si/90-01 Integra Caliper
Not all (7CLP13S) calipers/brackets may be 100% Identical, but calipers and mounting brackets are Interchangeable between calipers on the following models:
88-91 CRX Si, 90-91 Civic Sedan EX, 99-00 Si, 94-95 Si with ABS, 96-97 Del Sol VTEC, 90-93 Integra,94-01 Integra (all models exc. Type-R)
Si = Refers to the 7CLP13S (or equivelent) caliper and relative bracket
9CLP14S = EP3 Calipers/ RSX calipers
3EP = RSX/EP3 rear caliper bracket
*To use RSX/EP3 Calipers on a Civic/Integra with civic/ Integra e-brake cables, the e-brake attachment lever will need to be switched from any 7CLP13S caliper body.
*91-95 Legend rear calipers on a Civic/Teg with the 10.4" rotors uses the lighter Legend caliper, because it’s a caliper with just a piston, so it eliminates the e-brake cable and parts (for track cars). The 91-95 Legend used a separate drum for an e-brake.
*The NSX Calipers on a Civic/Teg is not reccomended to be paired with any front setup with less than an 11.8" rotor unless the car has had weight distribution modification for track use, etc. This setup is very stong and on most setups, rear bias the car too much

Last edited by jr_deleon; 02-09-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, i just looked at my friend's DA cause its on the alignment rack, and it has the same fitting (where brake lines attach to caliper). So if you want to believe what youre hearing thats fine, but its better to look on your own.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok question...

just swapped an ITR 5 lug on my 98 cx hatch. from reading, the best setup would be a 98-01 GSR or ITR MC, 99-00 si prop. valve, and keep the stock booster cause if i change it then the hard lines wont bolt up to the new MC. sound good?

EDIT: after doing more research i learned the stock prop valve for my car is the same as the 99-00 si. so all i really need is just a bigger MC?

Last edited by red96civicex; 02-09-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is from the BrakeExpert himself. This is in the first post. I put in bold the part that pertains to you. The lines I'm not sure about....

Master Cylinder relative to the Caliper
When you go to bigger caliper than use a larger piston, you are pushing more fluid through the brake lines. Therefore, you should want a larger master cylinder to push this more fluid.

General rule is…with your stock Civic DX, with the stock front calipers, keep your 13/16” MC. Any bigger and your pedal will be too stiff.
With EX/Si calipers, use a 7/8” MC from a 96-00 EX or 99-00 Si because of the more fluid going to a larger piston.
With ITR/Legend/Vigor/Accord V6 or Integra DA or DC calipers, use a 15/16” MC from a 98-01 Integra LS to accommodate for the even more fluid. Any smaller of a MC will cause the pedal swing to be too long.
With NSX or Legend GS calipers that have two pistons, or an aftermarket caliper with multiple pistons, you’ll want a 1” MC because of even more fluid required to push all the pistons. Get the 1” MC from a 98-01 Integra GSR or ITR MC as it bolts onto the EK brake booster

Last edited by jr_deleon; 02-09-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then im just gonna pick up a bigger MC and see how much of a difference it makes...thanks broski

i mean...i knew which MC i needed to go with after reading the first page...im more concerned about getting a definite that the prop valve that comes stock on my car is the same as the 99-00 si (since they come stock with rear disks). i just want to make sure that the MC is the only thing im gonna need...

Last edited by red96civicex; 02-09-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red96civicex
then im just gonna pick up a bigger MC and see how much of a difference it makes...thanks broski

i mean...i knew which MC i needed to go with after reading the first page...im more concerned about getting a definite that the prop valve that comes stock on my car is the same as the 99-00 si (since they come stock with rear disks). i just want to make sure that the MC is the only thing im gonna need...
Get the integ booster with the master cylinder. It makes a difference.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cruizinmax
Get the integ booster with the master cylinder. It makes a difference.
well i read that if i change the brake booster...the hard lines wont line up because the teg booster sticks out more than the civic one...and i dont have any tools to extend or bent the brake lines...
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as the hard lines go, you can bend them a bit. Its not going to snap on you. Just make sure when you bend them, thread in the fitting straight.

The booster, at least for me, only made the pedal feel better (as in stiffer and more responsive). Its a better idea to run with the DC booster, but since you didnt post it, i figured you wanted to stick with what you had.

As for the prop valve, there is a thread here. He converted his car from drums to disc using the Scarebird conversion and kept the drum prop valve.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2251647

And the part that pertains to your question. It is in the thread with some pictures:

18.) Next up is the proportioning valve. Since im already working with a Ex and im duplicating the brake setup from an Si I just need to change my proportioning valve and not my brake booster/master cylinder like some others might. So lets get started. Take your flare nut wrench and loosen all six brake hard lines that attach to the proportioning valve. Then unbolt the proportiong valve from the firewall. Grab the Si (also comes on 96-00 2/3 door Dx's, Cx's. Part number 46210-S04-902 There is no marking on these types of proportioning valves. So be sure you are getting the right proportiong valve.) proportion valve and bolt it to the firewall. Take the brake hardlines and put them back in there correct hole. Tighten them up using a flare nut wrench.

Let us know
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as the hard lines go, you can bend them a bit. Its not going to snap on you. Just make sure when you bend them, thread in the fitting straight.

The booster, at least for me, only made the pedal feel better (as in stiffer and more responsive). Its a better idea to run with the DC booster, but since you didnt post it, i figured you wanted to stick with what you had.

As for the prop valve, there is a thread here. He converted his car from drums to disc using the Scarebird conversion and kept the drum prop valve.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2251647

And the part that pertains to your question. It is in the thread with some pictures:

18.) Next up is the proportioning valve. Since im already working with a Ex and im duplicating the brake setup from an Si I just need to change my proportioning valve and not my brake booster/master cylinder like some others might. So lets get started. Take your flare nut wrench and loosen all six brake hard lines that attach to the proportioning valve. Then unbolt the proportiong valve from the firewall. Grab the Si (also comes on 96-00 2/3 door Dx's, Cx's. Part number 46210-S04-902 There is no marking on these types of proportioning valves. So be sure you are getting the right proportiong valve.) proportion valve and bolt it to the firewall. Take the brake hardlines and put them back in there correct hole. Tighten them up using a flare nut wrench.

Let us know
ok so ONE more question, when you installed the teg booster and MC, how much farther did it stick out compared to the stock civic one?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Brake Upgrades for 96-00 Civics, applicable to some older Civics and Integras

BTW, i just looked at my friend's DA cause its on the alignment rack, and it has the same fitting (where brake lines attach to caliper). So if you want to believe what youre hearing thats fine, but its better to look on your own.
thanks JR!!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so ONE more question, when you installed the teg booster and MC, how much farther did it stick out compared to the stock civic one?
I have an eg actually, but it stuck out around an inch or so more than the stock setup, which is what youre going to deal with as well. It is a BITCH to get them off as one (booster/MC).

One of the hardlines matched up after i pulled it towards the front of the car. The other line had a different sized fitting so i cut and unioned the eg/dc lines. I believe yours should have the right fittings on the lines you just have to pull the lines a bit (dont bend it) to make up for the booster pushing the MC out so much (its like an inch from the DS shock tower when bolted down, whereas the civics stock booster is around 2 inches)
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well im just going to try a bigger MC first, and see how it feels. then ill report back. if im not happy with it...ill upgrade the booster as well.

again, thank you for everything bro
Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its all good bro. Let us know how it works out for you
Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill post up with results, just in case anyone else with my setup stumbles upon this thread
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not much farther if any at all. I ran the civic booster for about a year with the integ 1" mc and integ brakes. The brake pedal feels normal under normal braking. Under hard braking the pedal goes about 1/2 way down and then it feels like there is something solid under the pedal and you can't press it any farther. If you have decent traction it was impossible to put enough pressure to brake at the threshold.

Just swap the booster at the same time you are doing the M/C. It was 10x harder to install the booster later on. I didn't want to take the brake lines off the master when I installed the booster because it took forever to get all the air out of the lines when I first installed it. Take my word for it I changed everything in stages and just now am I happy with the setup.

Here are the combos I tried on my 99 hatch and all had weird quirks except the last.

1. teg fronts, drum rears, stock everything else-very low pedal, extreme front bias
2. teg fronts, teg rears, stock everything else-semi low pedal, front biased
3. teg front/rear 99 gsr master-normal pedal, front biased still
4. civic ex calipers on front/teg rears, gsr master. good pedal until hard braking when booster ran out, good bias
5. civic calipers front/teg rears, gsr master and booster, oem front pads, hawk hps rear pads-great pedal feel, great bias

So basically where I'm setup now is a civic si brake setup with a slightly larger mc (1"gsr vs 15/16 Si) I believe that is why the civic si uses the 15/16 mc because it still uses the smaller civic booster.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cruizinmax
not much farther if any at all. I ran the civic booster for about a year with the integ 1" mc and integ brakes. The brake pedal feels normal under normal braking. Under hard braking the pedal goes about 1/2 way down and then it feels like there is something solid under the pedal and you can't press it any farther. If you have decent traction it was impossible to put enough pressure to brake at the threshold.

Just swap the booster at the same time you are doing the m/c. It was 10x harder to install the booster later on. I didn't want to take the brake lines off the master when i installed the booster because it took forever to get all the air out of the lines when i first installed it. Take my word for it i changed everything in stages and just now am i happy with the setup.

Here are the combos i tried on my 99 hatch and all had weird quirks except the last.

1. Teg fronts, drum rears, stock everything else-very low pedal, extreme front bias
2. Teg fronts, teg rears, stock everything else-semi low pedal, front biased
3. Teg front/rear 99 gsr master-normal pedal, front biased still
4. Civic ex calipers on front/teg rears, gsr master. Good pedal until hard braking when booster ran out, good bias
5. Civic calipers front/teg rears, gsr master and booster, oem front pads, hawk hps rear pads-great pedal feel, great bias

so basically where i'm setup now is a civic si brake setup with a slightly larger mc (1"gsr vs 15/16 si) i believe that is why the civic si uses the 15/16 mc because it still uses the smaller civic booster.
<3
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Usually I read all the posts and try to find the answer, but I need answer fast! The size on the Integra front caliper piston? 57mm? I need a repair kit! Good info is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 AM

why on earth did the OP get banned? **** I want the full recipe to that corrado,S2000,dx hybrid brake set up!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This forum historically bans the niche knowledge folks. Those who truly help the forum somehow always get banned. Engloid is probably one of the best TIG welders out there, and helped everyone in the fab forum on an incredible level...sure enough he got banned. Took us 3 years to get him back.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RC000E
This forum historically bans the niche knowledge folks. Those who truly help the forum somehow always get banned. Engloid is probably one of the best TIG welders out there, and helped everyone in the fab forum on an incredible level...sure enough he got banned. Took us 3 years to get him back.
Yeah, just like when they banned NOFX, strange stuff indeed!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 Eater
why on earth did the OP get banned? **** I want the full recipe to that corrado,S2000,dx hybrid brake set up!
He was banned after repeatedly being warned not to post FS information in tech threads.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone tried using Odyssey 2pot calipers and 300mm diameter / 28mm thic discs? Should bolt up to EX/Si knuckle.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by PatiKTP
Anyone tried using Odyssey 2pot calipers and 300mm diameter / 28mm thic discs? Should bolt up to EX/Si knuckle.
Yeah that's a good question, though that brings up the question of whether or not you can even use Accord parts on a civic...

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades for 96-00 Civics, applicable to some older Civics and Integras