Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Brake Line Burst While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon4 Brake Line Burst While Driving

Brake lines burst on my wife's 2000 civic DX while she was driving today, luckily she was able to use the ebrake to slowly stop. I got the car home and looked under it.. When the brakes are pumped fluid comes out of the middle of the brake lines under the car.

It looks like at least 2 of the lines are VERY rusted out, I've had experience doing pretty much everything on a car but never a brake job. Here's what I imagine (correct if I'm wrong please)

1. Drain brake fluid
2. Access and cut out the rusted portion of the brake line (assuming the whole thing isn't screwed)
3. Pick up replacement line with fittings attached.
4. Put fittings on ends of the brake lines still attached to the car and flare them.
5. Connect the replacement line and screw fittings into coupling
6. Fill brake fluid and bleed brakes

What tools will I need for this, something to flare the line, something to cut the line, what else? Do I put teflon on the fittings before I screw them into coupling?

Thanks guys
Old 09-18-2017, 04:33 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Brake Line Burst While Driving

Get a flare kit from Advance or Auto Zone, they should loan the tool out for a refundable deposit. How you described is pretty much how you do it, although you don't really need to drain the system, it'll do that on its own when you cut it. I would try to have as little fluid as possible come out, as the more air you have in the lines, usually the harder it is to bleed out.

Since the lines use the flare connections, you do not need teflon on the fittings.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brake Line Burst While Driving

Perfect, I did that and have the rusty part of both lines replaced now.

The fittings only screwed into the coupling about 4 threads or so, they are very very tight and won't thread too much, that normal? Want to be sure nothing is going to come loose.