Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Both right wheels have positive camber - 2007 Civic Si Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Both right wheels have positive camber - 2007 Civic Si Sedan

Hi all, it's been a few years...

Is it possible that my one trackday and the epic left-hand off-camber freeway offramp I take every morning actually bent my frame enough to cause this?

My local alighment shops have maxed out the adjustments and they can't eliminate the positive camber.

If I install camber kits will I just bend it again if I keep mashing this amazing left-hand freeway offramp every morning on my way to work?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Both right wheels have positive camber - 2007 Civic Si Sedan

Onramps and street car track days don't bend parts.

Your subframe(s) may have shifted. Loosen the bolts and move it back. DON'T torque the bolts past what the spec is.

Or someone hit something with the car.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

So I should NOT go ahead with a camber kit, and just ask my alignment shop to readjust both front and rear subframes?

I don't recall any curb impacts nearly hard enough to cause this. I did scratch a curb on a tight corner once and rip the sidewall of my tire, but I can't imagine it would cause enough damage that the car won't align.

Last edited by phateless; 01-19-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by phateless
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

So I should NOT go ahead with a camber kit, and just ask my alignment shop to readjust both front and rear subframes?

I don't recall any curb impacts nearly hard enough to cause this. I did scratch a curb on a tight corner once and rip the sidewall of my tire, but I can't imagine it would cause enough damage that the car won't align.
Idk if an alignment shop will handle it. Maybe.

They have to get the car up on a post lift, loosen the bolts just slightly. Then align the subframe holes with a big punch, and re-tighten. You probably want to remind them not to over tighten those bolts. Give them a torque spec.

A hit big enough to damage a tire is bigger than the forces seen on an on-ramp. Its definitely enough to move a subframe.

Some people opt to buy spoon subframe collars to prevent subframe shift from happening in the future. Subframes can shift on a track if you spin hard enough, and/or are using sticky enough (usually R compound or better) tires.

What type of camber kit were you planning on buying? And what suspension mods are done to the car?
Old 01-28-2018, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Idk if an alignment shop will handle it. Maybe.

They have to get the car up on a post lift, loosen the bolts just slightly. Then align the subframe holes with a big punch, and re-tighten. You probably want to remind them not to over tighten those bolts. Give them a torque spec.

A hit big enough to damage a tire is bigger than the forces seen on an on-ramp. Its definitely enough to move a subframe.

Some people opt to buy spoon subframe collars to prevent subframe shift from happening in the future. Subframes can shift on a track if you spin hard enough, and/or are using sticky enough (usually R compound or better) tires.

What type of camber kit were you planning on buying? And what suspension mods are done to the car?
Thank you for that information. Who would be able to do this; a regular mechanic?

I have done one track day and I was using Sumitomo HTR Z tires.

I was looking at the adjustable camber bolts for the front, and possibly adjustable control arms for the rear. The car is bone stock, so my goal is to keep it as close to that as practical. If it turns out I am spending the same money as a full coilover kit, then I will entertain that idea, or possibly Tein S-tech lowering springs, but I want to stay very close to stock.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by phateless
Thank you for that information. Who would be able to do this; a regular mechanic?

I have done one track day and I was using Sumitomo HTR Z tires.

I was looking at the adjustable camber bolts for the front, and possibly adjustable control arms for the rear. The car is bone stock, so my goal is to keep it as close to that as practical. If it turns out I am spending the same money as a full coilover kit, then I will entertain that idea, or possibly Tein S-tech lowering springs, but I want to stay very close to stock.

Thanks again!
To answer in no particular order:

I would rather use coilovers than springs.

Front camber bolts will almost for sure slip. I would not use this method. I would use camber plates (front) to tune the car if that's what you want to do. Your chassis can benefit from very agressive front camber settings for track use. But...this seems to be your DD. So...just fix what's wrong.

I'd rather fix what's wrong rather than throw aftermarket parts at it. It didn't roll out of the factory with uneven angles. So why does it have them now?

Sumitomo HTR-Z's probably won't cause subframe shift. The alignment issue was likely due to the curb hit...or the ravages of time.

I would fix it first. I wouldn't bandaid it and potentially cause further issues. Its the easy way out (and more profitable) for a shop to just tell you to throw generic *** adjustable parts at it rather than spending time diagnosing the issue.

If subframe shift is the issue, a shop with a 4 post lift or a person willing to do this on jackstands can help you. A dealer, perhaps. Or a good performance Honda specialty shop.

Remember again. Subframe bolts have a torque spec. Its noteable that honda does not recommend re-using the subframe bolts once they have been loosened. You *should* be fine re-using them as long as they aren't damaged. And as long as whomever tightens them follows the torque spec.

Spoon sells rigid collars to take up subframe slop and prevent shift from happening again. That's the only aftermarket "fix" I would recommend...if anything.

It may not be subframe shift. It may be bent components from the curb hit....or wait....

How positive are the angles? Do you have an alignment printout you can post? Are we talking massive degrees? Or...?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
If subframe shift is the issue, a shop with a 4 post lift or a person willing to do this on jackstands can help you. A dealer, perhaps. Or a good performance Honda specialty shop.

Remember again. Subframe bolts have a torque spec. Its noteable that honda does not recommend re-using the subframe bolts once they have been loosened. You *should* be fine re-using them as long as they aren't damaged. And as long as whomever tightens them follows the torque spec.

Spoon sells rigid collars to take up subframe slop and prevent shift from happening again. That's the only aftermarket "fix" I would recommend...if anything.

It may not be subframe shift. It may be bent components from the curb hit....or wait....

How positive are the angles? Do you have an alignment printout you can post? Are we talking massive degrees? Or...?
Thank you so much for your help! I will ask a few of my favorite local shops if this is something they can do.

Technically the camber is within "acceptable range," but any positive camber is not acceptable for an Si because it handles like **** on left turns.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Oh.

Nothing seems wrong.

Maybe one of your spindles or LCA is slightly bent from that curb hit.

You may be able to fix that by just loosening the front spindle to strut bolts and holding the top of the spindle inboard while tightening the bolts to create more neg camber.

Tighten those bolts with the car on the ground or the LCA jacked up. That may help also.

If that doesn't work...maybe your front subframe shifted a little.

Has the clutch ever been replaced? Maybe the subframe wasn't centered properly.

I don't see much reason to buy a camber kit unless you want to add a lot of neg camber to the fronts.

I'd probably just leave the rear alone and go on living your life once you kinda tweak the front into spec.