Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

blox rear toe kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blox rear toe kit

hey..
today tryed to install blox rear toe kit on my '91 ED7, (its like Si in USA, comes with D16Ax/ZC engine)

http://bloxracing.com/product_info.p...products_id=59

BUT..
it seems that lenght of toe arm is actually too short compared to original arm (and that's when it's unscrewed to maximum) .. like.., WTF ?

did anyone tryed to install this kit on ED/EF ?

any comments ?

This product is suitable for:

1990-2001 Acura Intergra
1988-2000 Honda Civic / CRX / Del Sol
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: blox rear toe kit

Adjustable toe arms are not a good idea if you use them for adjustment instead of the factory toe adjustment bolt. The reason is that you end up with different length arms on each side of the car, which leads to different toe curves on each side of the car, which can impart different and unpredictable handling on left vs. right turns.

If you must use them, I suggest setting both of them to EXACTLY the same length (preferably using a digital micrometer) off the car, installing them, and then still using the factory toe adjusting bolt to adjust the toe during an alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what if one side of toe arm is on fixed bolt wich cannot move at all, and other side of arm goes to factory toe adjust bolt wich has like half inch or inch movement. Then If I put bolt on very end of factory hole on both sides same, and then go to digital wheel aligment shop (dunno how it's called on english.. :D :D ) with this adjustable aftermarket toe kit, and then tech guy adjusts toe to be same on both sides ( with this rotating shiney middle thingy on blox kit), would it still cause this problem ?

othwerwise sounds like great info, and wasted money on this kit .. (I actually lowered car a bit so I thought it would be necessary to have adidtional toe, p.s. blox camber is also installed on back too maybe similar problem ?)

tyvm Patrick
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no other experiences with blox rear toe on ef.. ?

..up..
Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does one side have a fixed bolt that can't move? Has it seized up or rusted or something?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for my bad english explanation.. i'm trying to say regarding to your explanation of different arm lenght. Theoreticaly if I manage to mount blox kit, and if if both (left and right) are bolted on exactly same chassis spot (fixed, not moving anymore at all), and then if I go to alligment shop and guy adjusts toe to be same and good on both sides, only with blox kit adjustment (bolts connected to chassis and RTA dont move at all in this case), then I doubt there would be this problem with handling you described .. ?

anyway, dunno what to do with this stupid kit, on website said it fits to this civic ..

:/
Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the factory adjustment bolt, they're never in the same place on both sides when aligned correctly, due to various tweaks that happen in the chassis over the years.

As such, if both factory adjustment bolts are in the same place, and the adjustment is done on the adjustable arm itself, you will end up with different length toe compensator arms, as I described in my first post above.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly, now - call me stupid but i still dont understand how will that cause erratic behaviour if alligment is made correctly? let's say both wheels are set to TOE +1.

What I mean is.. -isn't it exactly same situation with factory compensator arms, after years they both dont sit in same place when you adjust both wheels to +1 for example, meaning they are equal lenght but not equally placed when you look at it, still both wheel are +1. Why its different on car behaviour if you do same +1 TOE on both wheel but with aftermarket adjustable arm itself, so is actually 1-2mm longer/shorter on one side than another and wheels are +1 both.

What am I missing ? Always thought its important how wheels actually sit on the ground

educate me a bit if not a problem :-)

If this is correct, makers of aftermarket rear toe parts should state this somewhere as useful information/warning .. ? no ?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As the suspension moves through its vertical range of motion from full droop to full compression, the toe angle changes due to the trailing arm suspension design. While on the alignment rack, static toe is what is being adjusted and set. But as the suspension moves you have dynamic toe changes. This dynamic toe change plays a part in how the car feels and handles when cornering, when accelerating, and when braking.

With different toe compensator arm lengths, the amount of dynamic toe change on each side of the car will be different through the suspension's range of motion. This could lead to different characteristics when cornering left vs. right, or the car may not drive straight during straight-line acceleration and braking.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you for explanation, now I understand - you helped alot
Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came across this post, and it dissuaded me from getting toe kit. I regret doing so for 2 reasons:

1. As seen in the following image, many shops will flat out refuse to touch something like the following picture, or start making up excuses. Not only will one need to use a 3d printer for new track nut guide (can't find part online and most junkyards disallow angle grinders), but pay welder to patch it up. Easily exceeding $300 in labor at the least.
2. Aftermarket trailing arm bushings that with a 'stiffer' design (link), makes adjust the toe towards the positive side (toe-in) very difficult, you'll likely need a 2nd person with 2 foot pry bay to push the arm in towards the gas tank.

After using a screw driver to remove the square plate in the picture, a needle nose vise grip is need to hold the track nut in place. Sides of track nut is flattened with an angle grinder, to better accommodate vise grip and 14mm wrench.
Code:
https://i.imgur.com/uit6Oxg.jpg
Dimension of track nut if one wishes to make a cad model/3d print a track plate. I forgot to take the 22mm measure when I took the track nut out of the vehicle, but did draw the outline of the perimeter.
Code:
https://i.imgur.com/T01uqGJ.jpg

Last edited by k3ntegra; 08-06-2019 at 12:10 PM.