Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Better choice than Tein Street Flex?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Better choice than Tein Street Flex?

looking for the ultimate “$1,000” coilover setup for an aggressive street setup that will have the weight of a turbo kit on the front of it.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Better choice than Tein Street Flex?

Better how?

Also...how much does your turbo setup weigh that this is the basis of the question?
Old 02-03-2018, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What I'm looking for is a setup that will be optimal on a daily driver setup that will only be lowered maybe 2" at most. This will not be a slammed and tucked car at all. I'm wanting something that will ride nicely but firm and I have several back roads and exit ramps I like taking at speeds. I have had and was planning to again go with an off the shelf Koni/GC setup but something is telling me there must be something out there better.

Since posting this thread I've read more into it and it seems the Flex Z would be a nice budget friendly choice. But I am willing to spend $1,000 or a little more on something if it is worth the money. I was about to start building this car about a year ago but the wife and I had our daughters so it put a hold on things. Now I literally have the money sitting and ready, I just want to make the best choice before pulling the trigger.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:59 AM

For a 2" drop, Koni GC is probably the wrong choice. Too much drop for that setup.

The issue you'll have with the Flex (if its similar to the model I have) is that its under damped. You'll want to buy softer (MUCH softer) springs than it comes with. And you'll need to know how to set up and optimize a full body coilover to get the most out of it.

The Flex Z isn't $1K. Its like $700, most places I see.

The HUGE advantage with Tein is their corrosion resistance...if you live in an area with road salt.

Have you looked at PIC? Custom built setups are available. Should start around $800, IIRC.

Fortune Auto has a $1200 setup based on monotube shocks with longer travel. I'd rather do that than Tein. But you will need to know how to set them up.

AMR is around $1500? Idk. Seems like a good choice as well. Monotubes again.

monotubes have the advantage in that they can retain more low speed damping for dips and more gradual bumps at "softer settings". Twin tubes are more lazy and sometimes, a softer setting means that the car will start to float.

This is one of the reasons that monotubes can support more spring rate.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
For a 2" drop, Koni GC is probably the wrong choice. Too much drop for that setup.

The issue you'll have with the Flex (if its similar to the model I have) is that its under damped. You'll want to buy softer (MUCH softer) springs than it comes with. And you'll need to know how to set up and optimize a full body coilover to get the most out of it.

The Flex Z isn't $1K. Its like $700, most places I see.

The HUGE advantage with Tein is their corrosion resistance...if you live in an area with road salt.

Have you looked at PIC? Custom built setups are available. Should start around $800, IIRC.

Fortune Auto has a $1200 setup based on monotube shocks with longer travel. I'd rather do that than Tein. But you will need to know how to set them up.

AMR is around $1500? Idk. Seems like a good choice as well. Monotubes again.

monotubes have the advantage in that they can retain more low speed damping for dips and more gradual bumps at "softer settings". Twin tubes are more lazy and sometimes, a softer setting means that the car will start to float.

This is one of the reasons that monotubes can support more spring rate.
That's crazy that you are suggesting this. Because going back through searches and threads I started in the past you were the one heavily suggesting Tein. What has changed to change your mind?

I say a 2" drop but probably not that. I simply want a finger or two gap between the tires and fenders.

Corrosion resistance isn't a plus to me as I live in the south where we see no salt. I have looked at PIC but they seem so small I'm a little nervous going with them over a larger company. Could be a stupid reason, but it's my reason (not to say I couldn't change my opinion there).

How hard is it to learn how to setup the coilovers?
Old 02-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
That's crazy that you are suggesting this. Because going back through searches and threads I started in the past you were the one heavily suggesting Tein. What has changed to change your mind?

I say a 2" drop but probably not that. I simply want a finger or two gap between the tires and fenders.

Corrosion resistance isn't a plus to me as I live in the south where we see no salt. I have looked at PIC but they seem so small I'm a little nervous going with them over a larger company. Could be a stupid reason, but it's my reason (not to say I couldn't change my opinion there).

How hard is it to learn how to setup the coilovers?

I like Tein overall. .

I really love their Street Advance lineup. The Flex lineup is a bit of a gamble. I've ridden on Flex setups that were great...others that weren't

After buying the Flex Z, I just wasn't too thrilled with the ride quality with the out-of-the-box setup. I *think* the Street Flex had softer springs that the dampers could actually control. Do they still sell the Street Flex for your application?

Definitely still very good overall quality. And I was able to improve my Flex Z. I feel that I've made mine REALLY nice with some setup time and softer springs. And its nice to have full body adjustment after learning how its used advantageously.

But...again, PIC, FA, and AMR all make excellent alternatives for a pretty modest increase in price.

Sometimes, small companies are the way to go. They seem to be more cutting edge.

Setting up any of the above will require time and effort. If you're good at using a tape measure and doing basic math, you'll do fine.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So for the money now I've gone full circle back to the GC/Koni setup with like a 450/400 setup. Their price is $799 and I'm finding a hard time justifying going with a $1300 setup for the street. That is almost twice as much as the GC/Koni setup. I was really hoping to find something around the $800-1,000 range (aka Flex Z or A).

At least with the GC/Koni setup I can change the spring rate as I want. Damn, I was hoping for a more traditional coilover setup that was the next step ahead.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:48 PM

Ehhh..a double wishbone civic or integra with Koni/GC with those rates won't ride brilliantly either. But depending on ride height, *may* ride better than out-the-box Flex Z.

Honestly, the key to a budget street setup just seems to be softer springs.

You can buy springs for the Flex Z also. That ability isn't limited to Koni/GC.

After down-springing my Flex Z, I'm pretty happy with the ride quality and the car's handling. They're too ambitious with the super high rates they come with.

Mine application came with 12K/7K. I am using the 7K's up front and using 250LB Eibachs in the back. Massively better. Way better ride. Way more control. Way more solid feeling. Etc etc.

I have to keep my ride height moderate to keep the UCA away from the tower. But...no other downsides.

Have you looked at Buddy Club? I can't believe I'm saying this. But their N+ rode fine.