Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Anyone tried Moog GSR end links?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Anyone tried Moog GSR end links?

I noticed on RockAuto that Moog has replacement Integra GSR front sway bar end links, with the ball joint on one end, and bushings on the other end. They're also serviceable with zerk grease fittings on the back of the ball joint housing. And they're also only $17 each as opposed to $60 each for OEM replacements (end link plus 2 bushings per side). Anyone tried them? I'll probably order a set soon. I still have the original end links at ~23 years old now.

More Information for MOOG K750512
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Anyone tried Moog GSR end links?

I installed them on my car. they were a bit of a challenge to install, but they seem to be good quality. i only have around 5,000 miles on mine since the install, but no problems yet.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't used those, but the moog stuff is kinda a crap shoot, I have been having good luck with beck\arnley, the ball joints I got from them were rebagged three five ball joints made in japan
Old 11-14-2017, 05:04 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is needing to service endlinks every 3K miles some sort of a "feature"?

Your 23 year old OEM links didn't require you to get under the car and grease them. And they didn't vomit grease all over your axles and LCA's. And they won't fail in 10-20K miles despite your efforts at greasing them.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Why is needing to service endlinks every 3K miles some sort of a "feature"?

Your 23 year old OEM links didn't require you to get under the car and grease them. And they didn't vomit grease all over your axles and LCA's. And they won't fail in 10-20K miles despite your efforts at greasing them.
And I also don't want to spend $120 on end links for a 23 year old 360K mile car, either. I'm looking for a lower-cost option, and I thought MOOG was usually good stuff. That's why I was asking.

I haven't looked recently but I would be surprised if there's any grease left in my original sway bar end links. The ball joint boots are probably shot. I know the front sway bar bushings are shot, but I've just never gotten around to replacing them. And what's this 3K mile business? I change my oil once a year, which is around 5K miles or so, nowadays. Being able to keep fresh(er) grease in the end link ball joints most of the time seems like a good thing.

Why do you think they will fail in 10K-20K miles? Have you used them yourself?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
And I also don't want to spend $120 on end links for a 23 year old 360K mile car, either. I'm looking for a lower-cost option, and I thought MOOG was usually good stuff. That's why I was asking.

I haven't looked recently but I would be surprised if there's any grease left in my original sway bar end links. The ball joint boots are probably shot. I know the front sway bar bushings are shot, but I've just never gotten around to replacing them. And what's this 3K mile business? I change my oil once a year, which is around 5K miles or so, nowadays. Being able to keep fresh(er) grease in the end link ball joints most of the time seems like a good thing.

greasable joints require service. They allow foreign material to enter the joint. It is old messy technology. It works if you like the mess, and pump grease in it every oil change like no one ever does. I despise greasing joints. Would rather let them get crusty, and charge the customer accordingly. I only grease my own.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Mevotech joints on a TSX. 10k miles is what they lasted. With regular greasing. They left a bunch of sticky shitgrease all over my control arms as a parting gift. I bought them because they were $20. The originals lasted 115K before I heard them knock. I found that OEM links meant for a 2nd gen are way cheaper and are dimensionally the same. Not sure why they're different part numbers...but I'm using (used) 2nd gen links that I had laying around that now have 60K on them. Not even a peep from them.

I understand looking for lower cost. What about the hardrace links? Or Beck Arnley (seems to be a *decent* aftermarket product.

I just don't see how a link that REQUIRES maintenance is advantageous is all.

How long are you gonna keep the car? Is $120 justifiable as a one-time every 23 year expense?

I'm kinda soured on Moog. I had their tie rods fail in under 5K miles on a civic (granted they were the entry level grade). I also had a Moog compliance bushing seperate from its shell in 50K on my TSX.

I will admit, however....that the newer design of Moog sway bar links my friend bought in a pinch for his EP3 looked solid and well made.

Give them a shot if they're cheap. If they fail and start knocking...who cares? Endlinks aren't life or death. BUT...they will vomit grease onto your chassis parts as part of their normal operation. Aint no doubt it.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I never knew Moog had such a bad rep! When i was selling car parts like 10-12 years ago, they were considered top of the line and of excellent quality. I had good luck with their suspension products before, but that was 5-6 years ago for the most recent replacement/decent mileage driven on the replacements. I recently replaced pretty much every suspension piece on my car with Moog, i only have 5K miles on the car since the rebuild but now i'm curious how they are going to hold up.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had Moog lower ball joints in service for something like 8 to 10 years now. Not sure how many miles. But they've been totally fine, which is why I was considering their end links. HardRace? I don't think they're available anywhere anymore. They're out of stock on Buyhardrace.com, and other websites say they come from HardRace directly and contact for availability. I'd definitely go for those if I could get them. I have HardRace everything else on the car already, installed about 6 or 7 years ago.

How long to keep the car? Who knows. I cycle a ton nowadays and put less than 5K a year on the car. My son turns 16 in another 8 years. I'd love to teach him to drive manual gearbox with this car haha. By 2026 there may not be any manual gearbox cars left.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh wow, I posted this 7 years ago asking about the HardRace end links, and people weren't so sure about them and suggested Moog instead.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspen...links-2755183/
Old 11-17-2017, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I may just go with these instead: More Information for BECK/ARNLEY 1014524
Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check ebay for hardrace endlinks, I got mine from there.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I may just go with these instead: More Information for BECK/ARNLEY 1014524
If it was me I would make the same choice and go with BECK ARNLEY, I have had good luck with them lately

Both Beck Arnley and MOOG just re box parts, but it seems I get more Chinese junk lately when choosing MOOG
Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well crap, I forgot about this thread from over a year ago, and ordered the Moog end links anyway a couple of weeks ago. I tried to install them over the weekend and found the THICK dished washers just impossible to get on with the new bushings. The threaded portion of the end link just wasn't long enough. So I put the old washers on, but those aren't shaped properly to capture the new bushings, which get all squished and deformed in weird ways when tightened down. I guess I should just get the Beck/Arnley end links anyway, which will cost me another 50 bucks + shipping

Although, maybe if I jack up one side at a time, the sway bar might push down on the end link enough for me to get the proper washers installed. hmmm
Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also does anyone know what the first washer on the left in this pic, with the larger hole, might be for? For the life of me I couldn't figure out where it goes. The ID of the hole matches the OD of the protrusion on the side of the bushing that faces the hole in the front lower control arm, but I highly doubt that washer would go between the rubber bushing and the control arm. And even if it did, there's only one side so I'm not sure if it would go above or below the LCA.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had similar fitment issues w/ these ball joints and a friend of mine had some bushings from a prelude i think that we wound up using along with some random washers that werent included

the pieces themselves are good quality but the rubber bushings/washers aren't the correct size

im going to try a set of hard race end links after i destroy the bushings on these (i primarily track the car)

HARDRACE GLOBAL - FRONT REINFORCED STABILIZER LINK?6480
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah but who is selling those nowadays?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.buyhardrace.com/products.php?keyword=6480

they are out of stock atm..but im sure they will be made again. perhaps you or I can reach out and ask lol

edit:

https://www.kseriesparts.com/HDR-648...BoCwQkQAvD_BwE

10 are still in stock apparently..
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh I'm not really interested in the HR end links, tho. I did the full HardRace bushing setup a number of years ago, back when the stuff was more readily available. Looks to me now like the full master bushing kit isn't available anymore.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh I'm not really interested in the HR end links, tho. I did the full HardRace bushing setup a number of years ago, back when the stuff was more readily available. Looks to me now like the full master bushing kit isn't available anymore.
The still have it listed for the EGs, I think the only difference is one of the bushings in the rear lca

I hope they keep selling the kit, that's on my list for my eg and teg