Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Reduced body roll for daily driver

Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reduced body roll for daily driver

Car: 1999 Civic Si
OEM Shocks / Springs (200F/100R)
No Front Sway
No Rear Sway

Obviously with the soft OEM springs and no sway bars there is going to be enormous body roll. I'm not going to change the springs / shocks OR put the front bar back on. The car is daily driven back and forth to school on mainly straight roads, although there are a quite a few turns (which is where I notice the "problem").

I feel as though a 13mm or similar rear sway won't really help with the body roll, but my question is will a 22mm rear help? Basically is the money spent worth it, will there be considerably less body roll with just the rear bar AND is it even worth it for a daily?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reduced body roll for daily driver

I think putting a 22mm on the rear would make the car very unbalanced. I have never tried this, but esentially you would be stiffening up the rear a ton, while leaving the front end very soft. I would expect oversteer tendencys on slick surfaces for sure.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Si spring rates are that low in rear? I could have sworn they were up arond 200?

Why are you not looking to put the front bar back in? To large? Sway bars would do a lot for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EthanS
I think putting a 22mm on the rear would make the car very unbalanced. I have never tried this, but esentially you would be stiffening up the rear a ton, while leaving the front end very soft. I would expect oversteer tendencys on slick surfaces for sure.
I understand what you're saying, however the car has so much understeer from the factory that such an "unbalance" might actually achieve a neutral state.

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Si spring rates are that low in rear? I could have sworn they were up arond 200?

Why are you not looking to put the front bar back in? To large? Sway bars would do a lot for you.
Yeah, they are that low in the rear. The ITR has 240F/240R. Most other Civic models have around 80lb/in or so. I got WAY too much understeer with just a front sway and no rear sway especially when the front is the Si 26mm.

If I put the front sway back on I'll have to add the rear as well to counter-act that affect at which point I'd rather deal with the excessive body roll and no sway bars at all.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Master Detailer

Never mind, I just googled it.
I must have been thinking about something else
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Master Detailer

I actually have SI sway bars in my car, I know all about the understeer with such a large front sway bar.

Have you considerd any front sway bar?

Maybe a 22mm out of a 96-00 EX? This would mean you would need to change the front lower control arms to the 2 peice style.

I did run just the 13mm rear sway bar, the car felt normall untill you really pushed it and then you would be able to feel it wanting to rotate. Not much, but I did feel a little.

Really you only have 2 options, Higher spring rates or sway bars, unless there is a 3rd I am not aware of lol.

If you looking at a 22mm rear sway bar, you might as well throw the front right back in.
From what I have seen people post the 26mm and 22mm combo with give a neutral feeling.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sk8shorty012
I understand what you're saying, however the car has so much understeer from the factory that such an "unbalance" might actually achieve a neutral state.
If you still had a front bar you'd be very neutral. I think a huge bar on the back with none in the front would cause a weird balance. I could be totally wrong though.

I drive an EG sedan with ITR spring/shock/RLCA. No sway bars. Only time it body rolls is taking "25mph on ramps" at 55+ even then no hints of understeer.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Master Detailer

You would notice the car wanting to rotate(oversteer), a lot more than the car currently wants to or even with the 13mm in the rear.

That is a pretty large rear bar, especialy with noithing in front, and such low spring rates. I am no Pro, just speaking for what I know.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im using the stock front bar on my LX, and rear 22mm CTR with ASR brace and H&R sport springs (too soft, I think around 300lb/in or so) Besides the springs I like the way it drives. The only issues Ive had are when using inferior tires in the back on wet roads. Its gotten a little tail happy. But as long as you drive with care and use good summer tires, its a blast.