Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

3rd Gen Accord vs. 4th Gen Civic Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen Accord vs. 4th Gen Civic Springs?

Hey everybody,

I'm getting about ready to slam the sh*t out of my EF hatch. I've already ordered upgraded struts (Tokicos, 3G Accord front struts, EF rears), and I'm looking to order some coilovers (Ground Control). I know that shorter springs will generally let you go lower in addition to the adjustability of coilovers, so here's my question:

Are 3g Accord springs shorter than 4g Civic springs? I did research and I get the impression that EF springs are 8'' and Accords are 7'', but I can't be sure. If they are, then I'll just order coilovers for the Accord and they should be compatible. Everything I've read so far makes it seem like it should fit right up.

For the record: yes I'm using Accord front struts for extra travel/slightly better ride quality. Yes, I know that running ultra low will not make the ride incredibly comfortable, but I'm doing small things to try and make up for it. And no, I'm not prepared to get into a dick-wagging contest about brands/components/setups. If you've pulled off Accord springs on an EF, feel free to share!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3rd Gen Accord vs. 4th Gen Civic Springs?

Originally Posted by EF303
Hey everybody,

I'm getting about ready to slam the sh*t out of my EF hatch. I've already ordered upgraded struts (Tokicos, 3G Accord front struts, EF rears), and I'm looking to order some coilovers (Ground Control). I know that shorter springs will generally let you go lower in addition to the adjustability of coilovers, so here's my question:

Are 3g Accord springs shorter than 4g Civic springs? I did research and I get the impression that EF springs are 8'' and Accords are 7'', but I can't be sure. If they are, then I'll just order coilovers for the Accord and they should be compatible. Everything I've read so far makes it seem like it should fit right up.

For the record: yes I'm using Accord front struts for extra travel/slightly better ride quality. Yes, I know that running ultra low will not make the ride incredibly comfortable, but I'm doing small things to try and make up for it. And no, I'm not prepared to get into a dick-wagging contest about brands/components/setups. If you've pulled off Accord springs on an EF, feel free to share!

bold for a reason. call and ask, or just look on their website. you can get a 5" inch tall spring for a ef.

and if you run that front strut, you won't get the drop you want for the front. you'll probably bind. leaning more towards you won't lower it as much as you like.

*** oh, and you won't get extra travel. you'll actually lose more travel. when you get it you'll see. the accord strut will be about 1" taller (shock body wise) then the ones for the ef.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90_EX_Civic
bold for a reason. call and ask, or just look on their website. you can get a 5" inch tall spring for a ef.

and if you run that front strut, you won't get the drop you want for the front. you'll probably bind. leaning more towards you won't lower it as much as you like.

*** oh, and you won't get extra travel. you'll actually lose more travel. when you get it you'll see. the accord strut will be about 1" taller (shock body wise) then the ones for the ef.
I guess I'm left with no other choice but to call GC and ask. I was hoping I could just order some sleeves and be done, but oh well.

You don't say? After reading this thread, I was under the impression that the Accord strut body was ~1" shorter than the Civic's, and therefore would allow more travel. Granted, there are no pictures anymore and I've had a helluva time trying to find other comparative pics.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/%5Bfaq%5D-3g-accord-struts-vs-4g-civic-struts-lots-pics-399992/#post4643754
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3rd gen. why was i thinking the square looking one???

you might actually be okay be okay with that front shock(after googling, :facepalm. but still, you should give G/C a call. you can get a shorter spring.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90_EX_Civic
3rd gen. why was i thinking the square looking one???

you might actually be okay be okay with that front shock(after googling, :facepalm. but still, you should give G/C a call. you can get a shorter spring.
I was confused as well. Glad to know we're on the same page, and also glad to know my homework has largely paid off so far. Thanks a lot man.

Yeah I'll definitely give them a call before I place an order, should probably inquire about rates as well.